Reply by October 2, 20032003-10-02
Followup to:  <rvBeb.7724$JF5.5449@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>
By author:    "Subroto Datta" <sdatta@altera.com>
In newsgroup: comp.arch.fpga
> > Peter, > > I asked the experts at Altera, and they verified that using a parallel > port to USB adapter will not work. >
Thanks. I ended up finding a vendor which carried the proprietary parallel port interface (really just a special cable plugging into a nonstandard header on the motherboard -- had they used a standard header the problem would have been solved long ago) for this machine and could deliver it with a reasonable lead time; FedEx is supposed to deliver it today. A USB solution would have been nicer because of portability, of course. -hpa -- <hpa@transmeta.com> at work, <hpa@zytor.com> in private! If you send me mail in HTML format I will assume it's spam. "Unix gives you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot." Architectures needed: ia64 m68k mips64 ppc ppc64 s390 s390x sh v850 x86-64
Reply by Subroto Datta October 1, 20032003-10-01
Peter,

    I asked the experts at Altera, and they verified that using a parallel
port to USB adapter will not work.

- Subroto Datta
Altera Corp.

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, > > Does anyone know if Altera Quartus II (3.0+) will let me use a > parallel port to USB adapter? I just got a new machine, in part so I > could upgrade to 3.0 from 2.2 (and in part so everything would go > faster), but it doesn't have a parallel port! I basically have three > options: waste the only PCI slot in the machine for a parallel port > card, use a USB adapter, or special-order a manufacturer-special > parallel port interface for the machine with unknown lead time. > > The question is basically: does Quartus II rely on it being a serial > port interface with the traditional I/O ports, or does it handle > anything that can drive a printer? > > Shelling out $300 for the yet-not-in-existence USB-Blaster cable is > not realistic, nor is $500 for MasterBlaster which doesn't even handle > the active serial configuration devices. > > -hpa > > -- > <hpa@transmeta.com> at work, <hpa@zytor.com> in private! > If you send me mail in HTML format I will assume it's spam. > "Unix gives you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot." > Architectures needed: ia64 m68k mips64 ppc ppc64 s390 s390x sh v850 x86-64
Reply by Simon Peacock October 1, 20032003-10-01
I believe that it treats the port as a bit bashed parallel port and as such
requires it to look exactly like a parallel port.
so unless the USB <> parallel port has the same registers, it won't work.
But this is just a belief.

I would suggest you waste a PCI port.. but make sure that the parallel port
card you buy can be returned if it doesn't work.  Not all parallel ports are
created equal.

Simon

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, > > Does anyone know if Altera Quartus II (3.0+) will let me use a > parallel port to USB adapter? I just got a new machine, in part so I > could upgrade to 3.0 from 2.2 (and in part so everything would go > faster), but it doesn't have a parallel port! I basically have three > options: waste the only PCI slot in the machine for a parallel port > card, use a USB adapter, or special-order a manufacturer-special > parallel port interface for the machine with unknown lead time. > > The question is basically: does Quartus II rely on it being a serial > port interface with the traditional I/O ports, or does it handle > anything that can drive a printer? > > Shelling out $300 for the yet-not-in-existence USB-Blaster cable is > not realistic, nor is $500 for MasterBlaster which doesn't even handle > the active serial configuration devices. > > -hpa > > -- > <hpa@transmeta.com> at work, <hpa@zytor.com> in private! > If you send me mail in HTML format I will assume it's spam. > "Unix gives you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot." > Architectures needed: ia64 m68k mips64 ppc ppc64 s390 s390x sh v850 x86-64
Reply by September 29, 20032003-09-29

--
If you send me mail in HTML format I will assume it's spam.