Reply by Stephen Williams March 23, 20062006-03-23
Duane Clark wrote:
> Stephen Williams wrote:
>> What I would really like something that can write Xilinx .ACE files. >> The impact from Foundation 6.2 is terribly slow, and from Webpack8.1 >> is pretty flakey. (It wrote ace files everywhere but where I wanted >> them.) >> > > I'll agree that the interface is not particularly intuitive, but the > main limitation I see is that the ace files must always be placed two > directories deep. I've used Impact from ISE7.1 on Linux regularly, and > had no problems at all. I haven't used the 8.1 version much, but a quick > test seems to indicate that it works the same.
When I wave my hands over it just right, it does. But for a few days I found it writing jtr/jtr/jtr.ace files in the most surprising places, including in jtr/jtr/jtr/jtr/jtr/jtr.ace, $HOME/jtr/jtr/jtr.ace, $(CWD)/jtr/jtr/jtr.ace, and a few other places I haven't thought of. I'm still occasionally finding jtr.ace files here and there.
> Arrgg... I just noticed that the ipf project files have switched from > plain text in version 7.1 to binary in version 8.1. > > Hey Xilinx, please take a poll of your paying customers. We don't want > binary project files!
And then there's that. -- Steve Williams "The woods are lovely, dark and deep. steve at icarus.com But I have promises to keep, http://www.icarus.com and lines to code before I sleep, http://www.picturel.com And lines to code before I sleep."
Reply by Duane Clark March 23, 20062006-03-23
Stephen Williams wrote:
> Andreas Ehliar wrote: >> To be honest, at this point I prefer to use XC3SProg >> http://www.rogerstech.force9.co.uk/xc3sprog/index.html >> in Linux. Sure, it is rather slow since it uses the parallel cable IV >> in cable III mode, but it feels much more stable in Linux than impact does. >> > > What I would really like something that can write Xilinx .ACE files. > The impact from Foundation 6.2 is terribly slow, and from Webpack8.1 > is pretty flakey. (It wrote ace files everywhere but where I wanted > them.) >
I'll agree that the interface is not particularly intuitive, but the main limitation I see is that the ace files must always be placed two directories deep. I've used Impact from ISE7.1 on Linux regularly, and had no problems at all. I haven't used the 8.1 version much, but a quick test seems to indicate that it works the same. Arrgg... I just noticed that the ipf project files have switched from plain text in version 7.1 to binary in version 8.1. Hey Xilinx, please take a poll of your paying customers. We don't want binary project files!
Reply by Stephen Williams March 22, 20062006-03-22
Andreas Ehliar wrote:
> To be honest, at this point I prefer to use XC3SProg > http://www.rogerstech.force9.co.uk/xc3sprog/index.html > in Linux. Sure, it is rather slow since it uses the parallel cable IV > in cable III mode, but it feels much more stable in Linux than impact does. >
What I would really like something that can write Xilinx .ACE files. The impact from Foundation 6.2 is terribly slow, and from Webpack8.1 is pretty flakey. (It wrote ace files everywhere but where I wanted them.) -- Steve Williams "The woods are lovely, dark and deep. steve at icarus.com But I have promises to keep, http://www.icarus.com and lines to code before I sleep, http://www.picturel.com And lines to code before I sleep."
Reply by Andreas Ehliar March 22, 20062006-03-22
On 2006-02-01, Sean Durkin <smd@despammed.com> wrote:
> Instead, I suggest buying a Platform USB cable. Gives you much less > trouble in the long run, and works well on every modern machine. > ... if you can afford it, that is. I think it's $150, so about double > what the parallel cable costs. Plus, I'm not sure if it works under > Linux, but there have been discussions about that here lately.
My latest experience is that it works in Linux, but only if you start impact in Windows first to initialize the firmware in the programming cable. If I don't boot Windows first, impact in Linux wants to upgrade the CPLD configuration which according to other posts on this newsgroup will break the programming cable. To be honest, at this point I prefer to use XC3SProg http://www.rogerstech.force9.co.uk/xc3sprog/index.html in Linux. Sure, it is rather slow since it uses the parallel cable IV in cable III mode, but it feels much more stable in Linux than impact does. /Andreas
Reply by Antti Lukats February 4, 20062006-02-04
"antonio bergnoli" <bergnoli@pd.infn.it> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Ray Andraka ha scritto: >> Sean Durkin wrote: >> >>> Marco T. wrote on 01.02.2006 09:56: >>> >>>> Do you know a all-in-one port replicator with usb, serial and ps/2 >>>> connectors that works with Parallel Cable IV? >>> >>> >>> Haven't been able to find one of those either... The problem seems to be >>> that iMPACT/Chipscope don't recognize the "virtual" LPT-ports those port >>> replicators usually provide... >>> There are parallel-port-controllers for Cardbus/PCMCIA you can plug in >>> to get a "real" parallel port on your laptop, but I haven't tried any of >>> those, so I can't comment on how good they are. >>> The problem is the chipset: to get decent programming speeds, the >>> parallel port should support 2MHz or 5MHz operation. All >>> PCI-plugin-cards I've seen in stores lately use the same cheap >>> controller-chip that doesn't support operation above 1MHz, so the cable >>> will work in compatibility mode and drop down to 200kHz. >>> >>> Instead, I suggest buying a Platform USB cable. Gives you much less >>> trouble in the long run, and works well on every modern machine. >>> ... if you can afford it, that is. I think it's $150, so about double >>> what the parallel cable costs. Plus, I'm not sure if it works under >>> Linux, but there have been discussions about that here lately. >>> >>> cu, >>> Sean >> >> >> If you are programming through the JTAG interface, you could try the >> Diligent USB-JTAG cable which is under $40. > > is Diligent USB-JTAG cable compatible with Impact? or it is necessary to > use another software?
not compatible Antti
Reply by antonio bergnoli February 2, 20062006-02-02
Ray Andraka ha scritto:
> Sean Durkin wrote: > >> Marco T. wrote on 01.02.2006 09:56: >> >>> Do you know a all-in-one port replicator with usb, serial and ps/2 >>> connectors that works with Parallel Cable IV? >> >> >> Haven't been able to find one of those either... The problem seems to be >> that iMPACT/Chipscope don't recognize the "virtual" LPT-ports those port >> replicators usually provide... >> There are parallel-port-controllers for Cardbus/PCMCIA you can plug in >> to get a "real" parallel port on your laptop, but I haven't tried any of >> those, so I can't comment on how good they are. >> The problem is the chipset: to get decent programming speeds, the >> parallel port should support 2MHz or 5MHz operation. All >> PCI-plugin-cards I've seen in stores lately use the same cheap >> controller-chip that doesn't support operation above 1MHz, so the cable >> will work in compatibility mode and drop down to 200kHz. >> >> Instead, I suggest buying a Platform USB cable. Gives you much less >> trouble in the long run, and works well on every modern machine. >> ... if you can afford it, that is. I think it's $150, so about double >> what the parallel cable costs. Plus, I'm not sure if it works under >> Linux, but there have been discussions about that here lately. >> >> cu, >> Sean > > > If you are programming through the JTAG interface, you could try the > Diligent USB-JTAG cable which is under $40.
is Diligent USB-JTAG cable compatible with Impact? or it is necessary to use another software?
Reply by Antti Lukats February 1, 20062006-02-01
"quark01" <quark01@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi Marco > I had the same problem. I bought one of these http://tinyurl.com/86sc5 > Then had to > > set XIL_IMPACT_ENV_LPT_BASE_ADDRESS=xxx > > Typically, "xxx" is "378," Use the Windows Device Manager to confirm > the base address assigned to LPT1. > > Impact & chipscope both worked ok after that. > > Quark >
weird I am using PCI LPT ports with base addess typically set to 0xD800 and both impact and chipscope recognize it properly as LPT1 without any need to specify it manually Antti
Reply by quark01 February 1, 20062006-02-01
Hi Marco
I had the same problem. I bought one of these http://tinyurl.com/86sc5
Then had to

set XIL_IMPACT_ENV_LPT_BASE_ADDRESS=xxx

Typically, "xxx" is "378,"  Use the Windows Device Manager to confirm
the base address assigned to LPT1.

Impact & chipscope both worked ok after that.

Quark

Reply by Ray Andraka February 1, 20062006-02-01
Sean Durkin wrote:
> Marco T. wrote on 01.02.2006 09:56: > >>Do you know a all-in-one port replicator with usb, serial and ps/2 >>connectors that works with Parallel Cable IV? > > Haven't been able to find one of those either... The problem seems to be > that iMPACT/Chipscope don't recognize the "virtual" LPT-ports those port > replicators usually provide... > There are parallel-port-controllers for Cardbus/PCMCIA you can plug in > to get a "real" parallel port on your laptop, but I haven't tried any of > those, so I can't comment on how good they are. > The problem is the chipset: to get decent programming speeds, the > parallel port should support 2MHz or 5MHz operation. All > PCI-plugin-cards I've seen in stores lately use the same cheap > controller-chip that doesn't support operation above 1MHz, so the cable > will work in compatibility mode and drop down to 200kHz. > > Instead, I suggest buying a Platform USB cable. Gives you much less > trouble in the long run, and works well on every modern machine. > ... if you can afford it, that is. I think it's $150, so about double > what the parallel cable costs. Plus, I'm not sure if it works under > Linux, but there have been discussions about that here lately. > > cu, > Sean
If you are programming through the JTAG interface, you could try the Diligent USB-JTAG cable, which is under $40.
Reply by Amontec, Larry February 1, 20062006-02-01
Marco T. wrote:
> Hallo, > I bought recently a notebook with only usb, firewire, ethernet and 1 pcmcia > connectors. > > I use Parallel Cable IV. I have bought a ps/2 to usb and a parallel to usb > cables. > > But parallel to usb seems to function only with parallel printers. > > Do you know a all-in-one port replicator with usb, serial and ps/2 > connectors that works with Parallel Cable IV? > > Many Thanks > Marco > >
Users of Amontec Chameleon POD ( generic JTAG interface dongle ) buy Quatech SPP-100 PCMCIA for resolving this. You may remap any parallel port address to the SPP-100. Work just nice ! Let me know if you do not find Quatech reseller. We have a large stock of SPP-100! ( Or buy a new Xilinx USB cables! ) Best regards, Laurent www.amontec.com ___________________________ Unlocking the power of JTAG