Reply by Trevor Coolidge November 18, 20062006-11-18
Todd,

   I have tried a lot of solutions...

1)  Using the opencores core embedded inside Altera (Cyclone I) with NIOS
and a purchsed stack.  The preformance was dreadful.  Now, this was about 5
years ago now, so things must be better.  The fastest we could ever get the
pig to sustain was something around 20 mbits/second.

2)  External PCI-based chip with a PCI bridge implemented in the FPGA using
embedded Linux.  This was a real fast and "sexy" solution.  We were seeing
sustained rates around 78 mbits/sec.

3)  Virtex 4 with the embedded hard core macro using embedded Linux.  Sweet,
but we had to write a driver.  Performance was awsome but it took a while to
get working due to the software writing exercise.

4)  We used an external Ethernet to USB adaptor (bought at Fry's) with a
Linux driver.  Then we stuck a USB core in the Xilinx and ran embedded
Linux.  This was done to prove that we didn't need PCI (solution 2).  The
nice part about this solution was the guaranteed bandwidth allocation.

5)  We used the Rabbit silicon as well.  It was real nice - the crap just
worked with no fuss.

As for the interconnect with the DSP ... I would ask if the algorithms can
be implemented in the FPGA's directly.  I am not a DSP expert, but both
Xilinx and Altera are winning a lot of traditional DSP designs these days.
The DSP guys that I know all love the FPGA's.

As for chosing a vendor - they both have workable solutions.  If you have a
good FAE supporting you for Altera - stick with them.  I have done several
SOC-type designs from each family and every single one of them had "wierd"
problems related to the tools - without good support I'd have been dead
meat.  Just glance at all the compiler/fitter/mapper problems posted here.
As much as they try for it not to happen ... we end up holding the bag.

Trevor

"Todd" <tschoepflin@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all > > I'm a design engineer trying to evaluate the large number of > possibilities for adding Ethernet to our embedded system. > > So far I've been very impressed by the Altera Cyclone II with NIOS II > and free lightweight TCP/IP stack. Adding Ethernet appears to amount > to the Cyclone II and a MAC+PHY chip like LAN91C111 (or equivalent). > > Anyone have experience with using the Cyclone II merely for Ethernet? > Should I try to put the MAC inside the FPGA and just use an external > PHY? > > Any recommendations for a communication protocol between the FPGA and > my DSP? SPI seems the most obvious choice for reasonably high > bandwidth (>6 Mbps). Right now my DSP runs from a 1.5 Mbps UART so > mimicking this data flow would save me a bunch of assembly code > changes. However, I'd like to send more data back to the host so could > use upwards of 6 Mbps. > > Also, I'm interested in general recommendations for System on a > Programmable Chip (SOPC), which Altera is obviously highly interested > in advancing. It seems very attractive since I could eventually get > rid of the DSP by simply creating a second NIOS II processor within the > FPGA and porting my assembly code to C. The upgrade path is > straightforward and indefinite since Altera will keep coming up with > even better FPGAs. Any caveats or warnings? Lastly, are there major > reasons I should be considering Xilinx instead? > > Thanks in advance for the help! > -Todd >
Reply by Mark McDougall October 31, 20062006-10-31
John Adair wrote:

> There isn't much choice in stand alone non-PCI chips...
We used the STMicroelectronics STE100P PHY. Regards, -- Mark McDougall, Engineer Virtual Logic Pty Ltd, <http://www.vl.com.au> 21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216 Ph: +612-9599-3255 Fax: +612-9599-3266
Reply by John Adair October 31, 20062006-10-31
I have used the LAN91C111 in the past with an Altera chip and isn't a
bad solution if you don't want high performance. LAN91C111 isn't a
cheap chip from my experience so watch out if you are cost sensative.
There isn't much choice in stand alone non-PCI chips so if you want
much choice with a stand alone then you might consider implementing  a
PCI host interface. For a cost sensitive volume production item it is
hard to beat a low cost PCI Ethernet chip on cost but off course you
need to add the cost of the PCI interface in the FPGA.

For a FPGA MAC solution there is a choice from all the vendors and not
a lot to choose between. FPGA MACs can be quite large and tend to need
a larger end device to support them so do examine the core datasheet
before committing to this approach. There some technical advantages as
other posts have mentioned.

A nice Xilinx alternative if you are not penny pinching is the Virtex-4
FX12. We have put this in a very compact processor system with a pile
of other sexy things and I was well impressed. Something like it might
make our product line one of these days. Depending on your pricing it
can be actually reasonably  close in cost to a low cost FPGA + non-PCI
Ethernet chip. This chip has dual channel 10/100/1000 capability and if
you find it useful an embedded PowerPC as well.

John Adair
Enterpoint Ltd.

Todd wrote:
> Hi all > > I'm a design engineer trying to evaluate the large number of > possibilities for adding Ethernet to our embedded system. > > So far I've been very impressed by the Altera Cyclone II with NIOS II > and free lightweight TCP/IP stack. Adding Ethernet appears to amount > to the Cyclone II and a MAC+PHY chip like LAN91C111 (or equivalent). > > Anyone have experience with using the Cyclone II merely for Ethernet? > Should I try to put the MAC inside the FPGA and just use an external > PHY? > > Any recommendations for a communication protocol between the FPGA and > my DSP? SPI seems the most obvious choice for reasonably high > bandwidth (>6 Mbps). Right now my DSP runs from a 1.5 Mbps UART so > mimicking this data flow would save me a bunch of assembly code > changes. However, I'd like to send more data back to the host so could > use upwards of 6 Mbps. > > Also, I'm interested in general recommendations for System on a > Programmable Chip (SOPC), which Altera is obviously highly interested > in advancing. It seems very attractive since I could eventually get > rid of the DSP by simply creating a second NIOS II processor within the > FPGA and porting my assembly code to C. The upgrade path is > straightforward and indefinite since Altera will keep coming up with > even better FPGAs. Any caveats or warnings? Lastly, are there major > reasons I should be considering Xilinx instead? > > Thanks in advance for the help! > -Todd
Reply by bart October 31, 20062006-10-31
Todd wrote:
> Hi all > > I'm a design engineer trying to evaluate the large number of > possibilities for adding Ethernet to our embedded system. > > Should I try to put the MAC inside the FPGA and just use an external > PHY?
For gigabit ethernet, you might consider the low-cost LatticeECP2M FPGA, which has 3.125Gbps SERDES and advanced DSP blocks built in. http://www.latticesemi.com/products/fpga/ecp2/index.cfm In addition, for a 32-bit soft processor, check out the LatticeMico32, which is open source and free. http://www.latticesemi.com/products/intellectualproperty/ipcores/mico32/index.cfm Hope this helps, Bart Borosky, Lattice
Reply by Ben Jones October 31, 20062006-10-31
Hi Todd,

"Todd" <tschoepflin@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all > > I'm a design engineer trying to evaluate the large number of > possibilities for adding Ethernet to our embedded system. > > Anyone have experience with using the Cyclone II merely for Ethernet? > Should I try to put the MAC inside the FPGA and just use an external > PHY?
I worked on a project doing Ethernet using Nios and a LAN91C111 a few years ago. The performance was quite disappointing (I forget which stack we were using but it wasn't "paid for"). Then again, that was a few years ago; this is now - and your requirements may vary. What exactly are you doing on the TCP/IP side? What wire speed are you targeting?
> The upgrade path is straightforward and indefinite since Altera will > keep coming up with even better FPGAs. Any caveats or warnings?
Yes, I'd say never assume that *any* company (and to be fair that includes the one I work for!) will continue to produce better and better products indefinitely. Most people prefer to hedge their bets and make their design as vendor-independent as possible, in case of nasty surprises.
> Lastly, are there major > reasons I should be considering Xilinx instead?
Well, of course! :-) You could get yourself a Virtex-4 FX12 part with an integrated 400MHz PowerPC 405 processor and two hard-macro 10/100/1000 Ethernet MAC blocks, all in a decent-sized FPGA with 32 XtremeDSP slices to implement your DSP algorithms. <removes salesman hat, because it doesn't really fit...> -Ben-
Reply by Alan Myler October 31, 20062006-10-31

Todd wrote:

> Hi all > > I'm a design engineer trying to evaluate the large number of > possibilities for adding Ethernet to our embedded system. > > So far I've been very impressed by the Altera Cyclone II with NIOS II > and free lightweight TCP/IP stack. Adding Ethernet appears to amount > to the Cyclone II and a MAC+PHY chip like LAN91C111 (or equivalent). > > Anyone have experience with using the Cyclone II merely for Ethernet? > Should I try to put the MAC inside the FPGA and just use an external > PHY? > > Any recommendations for a communication protocol between the FPGA and > my DSP? SPI seems the most obvious choice for reasonably high > bandwidth (>6 Mbps). Right now my DSP runs from a 1.5 Mbps UART so > mimicking this data flow would save me a bunch of assembly code > changes. However, I'd like to send more data back to the host so could > use upwards of 6 Mbps. > > Also, I'm interested in general recommendations for System on a > Programmable Chip (SOPC), which Altera is obviously highly interested > in advancing. It seems very attractive since I could eventually get > rid of the DSP by simply creating a second NIOS II processor within the > FPGA and porting my assembly code to C. The upgrade path is > straightforward and indefinite since Altera will keep coming up with > even better FPGAs. Any caveats or warnings? Lastly, are there major > reasons I should be considering Xilinx instead? > > Thanks in advance for the help! > -Todd > >
Hi Todd, I've designed Ethernet MACs for a couple of clients, they're reasonably straightforward. The CRC is possibly the most complicated bit but there is VHDL code out there on the internet for that if you go looking. I've also used the SMSC LAN91C111, it's a nice chip but I found it slightly awkward to use the buffer manager. If you design the MAC into your Fpga and use a PHY chip then you can design your own buffer manager, which I would recommend, as it gives you flexibility and more easily achieved higher performance should you need it. Alan
Reply by Ju, Jian October 31, 20062006-10-31
The Ethernet MACs are mostly commerically available and they're not free.
Xilinx has its own Ethernet MAC and it's easy to integrate it into the
MicroBlaze soft processor. I think whether choosing MAC+PHY chip or
MAC(FPGA) + PHY chip is largely dependent on your budget. For mass
production, MAC implemented inside FPGA seems a better choice and a shorter
time-to-market can be expected.

If you simply want to add Ethernet to your embedded system, you may consider
using microprocessors from Rabbit semiconductor, instead of FPGA. Although I
do not using their chips, I believe it's the most direct and easiest
solution to your post.

Good luck,
JJ

"Todd" <tschoepflin@gmail.com>
??????:1162255661.055244.134860@e64g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...
> Hi all > > I'm a design engineer trying to evaluate the large number of > possibilities for adding Ethernet to our embedded system. > > So far I've been very impressed by the Altera Cyclone II with NIOS II > and free lightweight TCP/IP stack. Adding Ethernet appears to amount > to the Cyclone II and a MAC+PHY chip like LAN91C111 (or equivalent). > > Anyone have experience with using the Cyclone II merely for Ethernet? > Should I try to put the MAC inside the FPGA and just use an external > PHY? > > Any recommendations for a communication protocol between the FPGA and > my DSP? SPI seems the most obvious choice for reasonably high > bandwidth (>6 Mbps). Right now my DSP runs from a 1.5 Mbps UART so > mimicking this data flow would save me a bunch of assembly code > changes. However, I'd like to send more data back to the host so could > use upwards of 6 Mbps. > > Also, I'm interested in general recommendations for System on a > Programmable Chip (SOPC), which Altera is obviously highly interested > in advancing. It seems very attractive since I could eventually get > rid of the DSP by simply creating a second NIOS II processor within the > FPGA and porting my assembly code to C. The upgrade path is > straightforward and indefinite since Altera will keep coming up with > even better FPGAs. Any caveats or warnings? Lastly, are there major > reasons I should be considering Xilinx instead? > > Thanks in advance for the help! > -Todd >
Reply by Mark McDougall October 30, 20062006-10-30
Todd wrote:

> So far I've been very impressed by the Altera Cyclone II with NIOS II > and free lightweight TCP/IP stack. Adding Ethernet appears to amount > to the Cyclone II and a MAC+PHY chip like LAN91C111 (or equivalent). > > Anyone have experience with using the Cyclone II merely for Ethernet? > Should I try to put the MAC inside the FPGA and just use an external > PHY?
Yes, we did some preliminary work for a customer using the opencores MAC and the LWIP stack. There were stability problems, and evidence pointed to the opencores MAC, rather than LWIP. In the end the customer went with a commercial adaptation of the MAC and IP stack, though they still weren't happy with the end results. Granted, they wanted SSL... What bandwidth do you want out of it? Regards, -- Mark McDougall, Engineer Virtual Logic Pty Ltd, <http://www.vl.com.au> 21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216 Ph: +612-9599-3255 Fax: +612-9599-3266
Reply by Todd October 30, 20062006-10-30