Reply by Alexander Marquardt January 12, 20042004-01-12
That looks super cool!!! I think I need to go back and do a Ph.D. just
so I can try to beat you guys using my new "transmorgrofiying 3D
wire-cutting placement algorithm" idea (now that you have made it so
easy to make comparisons)!!

Seriously, I didn't even know that this was coming out, and it looks
great! What a great idea ... the only problem is I think that you are
going to put the "academic" version of VPR out of business, which
could hurt your chances at becoming a professor in the future after
you have finished getting that Altera stock price up high enough to
make me a millionaire ..

Alexander Marquardt

Former Altera Engineer
Current MBA Student in Spain (http://mba.iese.edu)
Future Bartender in South America

vbetz@altera.com (Vaughn Betz) wrote in message news:<48761f7f.0401062338.4ce4f3d3@posting.google.com>...
> I am pleased to announce that Altera has opened up its Quartus II CAD > suite to university researchers. The Quartus University Interface > Program, or QUIP, toolkit is designed to enable university (or other) > researchers to plug new CAD tools and ideas into the Altera Quartus II > CAD flow. > > QUIP describes Altera's devices, interfaces by which data can be sent > into the Quartus II software at various points in the CAD flow, and > data formats in which data can be dumped out of the Quartus II > software. QUIP also includes tutorial and sample programs showing how > to use the various APIs and data file formats. This toolkit enables > researchers to write point CAD tools that perform one CAD optimization > in a new or better way, and integrate their new CAD tool into a > complete CAD flow so they can get realistic results on how this new > idea improves circuit timing, routability, device utilization, compile > time, or other metrics. > > You can augment or replace virtually any phase of the Quartus II CAD > flow (e.g. all of synthesis, or logic optimization, or technology > mapping, or placement, etc.) or add new phases (floorplanning, > wire-type routing, physical synthesis, etc.). You can then get > statistics back from the Quartus II CAD suite showing how much your > new tool or algorithm improves circuit timing, routability, device > utilization, or other metrics. You can quickly test new CAD ideas in > an industrial strength tool flow, and avoid having to write a complete > CAD suite to test your ideas. > > The benefit to academics is the ability to focus more on innovative > CAD algorithms and tools, and less on putting together entire CAD > flows to test out these new algorithms and tools. In my PhD I spent > five years writing a place and route system, including timing > analyzer, etc., so this would certainly have helped me graduate > faster! > > The benefit to us at Altera is (we hope!) more FPGA CAD research, and > research not just on simplified FPGA architectures and on simple > benchmark circuits, but on the full range of problems presented by > today's complex FPGA architectures, and the complex hardware designs > going into those FPGAs. > > For more details on QUIP, and to download all the documents, > tutorials, APIs, etc, see > http://www.altera.com/education/univ/quip/quip-overview.html. Feel > free to contact me, or mail quip@altera.com, or post to this > newsgroup, if you have any questions. > > Regards, > > Vaughn Betz > Altera
Reply by Vaughn Betz January 7, 20042004-01-07