Reply by Ron Huizen February 18, 20042004-02-18
"John Plows" <s22838 at rmc dot ca> wrote in message
> Hello > > A collegue and I are trying to implement a 256 point FFT on a Virtex-II. > The problem we are having is finding a way to transfer the calculated FFT > data off the FPGA so we can display it (preferably in Matlab). > > If anyone knows of a tool for uploading/downloading to/from the block > RAM on the Virtex-II, please let us know.
Does the Xilinx jtag debugger allow it?
---------- Without any information on what your board is and what it has on it, you're not going to get a lot of useful help. If I assume you have a standalone board with no standard interface (since if it has PCI, a serial port, or USB why would you be asking) the best I advice I can give is to look at the parallel printer port on your PC. This used to be an easy way to get data to/from a custom board. It has at least 8 "data" bits as well as some signalling bits, is bi-directional (well, most are) and I seem to recall it uses standard logic levels. So it may be a matter of jury rigging a cable from your PC's printer port to your board, implementing a simple interface in the FPGA, and writing some PC code to read data from the printer port.
> Finally, any tip on how to implement this project would be helpful.
We
> are at our wits end trying to figure out a way of displaying our FFT > function and testing its accuracy. > > Anythign anyone can tell us is apreciated! Thanks! > > John Plows & Andrew Dalrymple > Royal Military College of Canada
How's Kingston these days? ------ Ron Huizen BittWare
Reply by Nial Stewart February 18, 20042004-02-18
> Hello > > A collegue and I are trying to implement a 256 point FFT on a Virtex-II. > The problem we are having is finding a way to transfer the calculated FFT > data off the FPGA so we can display it (preferably in Matlab). > > If anyone knows of a tool for uploading/downloading to/from the block > RAM on the Virtex-II, please let us know. > If anyone has any information on how to interface to the 16Mb flash > memory card on our board, it would be greatly apreciated. > Finally, any tip on how to implement this project would be helpful.
We
> are at our wits end trying to figure out a way of displaying our FFT > function and testing its accuracy.
John, What sort of bandwidth requirements do you have? What physical interface do you have with the FPGA? I built a USB interface for my own debug use, this connects to a header and can be used to access internal registers/ ram or whatever you want. A couple of times this has been invaluable. Have a look at the downloads page of my web site for more details. Nial. ------------------------------------------------ Nial Stewart Developments Ltd FPGA and High Speed Digital Design www.nialstewartdevelopments.co.uk
Reply by David Brown February 18, 20042004-02-18
> Hello > > A collegue and I are trying to implement a 256 point FFT on a Virtex-II. > The problem we are having is finding a way to transfer the calculated FFT > data off the FPGA so we can display it (preferably in Matlab). > > If anyone knows of a tool for uploading/downloading to/from the block > RAM on the Virtex-II, please let us know. > If anyone has any information on how to interface to the 16Mb flash > memory card on our board, it would be greatly apreciated. > Finally, any tip on how to implement this project would be helpful.
We
> are at our wits end trying to figure out a way of displaying our FFT > function and testing its accuracy. > > Anythign anyone can tell us is apreciated! Thanks! > > John Plows & Andrew Dalrymple > Royal Military College of Canada >
Do you have any sort of processor on the fpga? If not, perhaps you could put in a small one (picoblaze) and a uart, and pass the data out through a serial port.
Reply by John Plows February 18, 20042004-02-18