Reply by Ruzica April 24, 20092009-04-24
On Apr 24, 3:35=A0pm, Jonathan Bromley <jonathan.brom...@MYCOMPANY.com>
wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 05:53:04 -0700 (PDT), Ruzica wrote: > >Thanks for your answer. I just saw that the component GTP_DUAL is not > >inside the package unisim.vcomponents. Instead it is instantiated as > >an entity in another file. How can I tell Modelsim where to search for > >this component instantiation? > > Probably the easiest fix is to use direct instantiation. > Where you currently have > > =A0 some_instance_name: GTP_DUAL > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 generic map (whatever) > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 port map (whatever); > > you could instead write > > =A0 some_instance_name: entity THE_LIB.GTP_DUAL > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 generic map (whatever) > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 port map (whatever); > > where THE_LIB is the name of the library into which GTP_DUAL > has already been compiled. =A0Using direct instantiation > in this way, there is no need for a component declaration. > > >> I can't find the gtp_dual component anywhere in my Xilinx > >> simulation library sources; what am I missing? > >> -- > >It should be defined in the folder where ISE has been installed in the > >path Xilinx\10.1\ISE\vhdl\src\unisims. You should follow the > >guidelines inhttp://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/24800.htm > >in order to install it in Modelsim. > > Yes. =A0I think I was just being stupid, and looking at my > WebPack installation which perhaps lacks those components. > -- > Jonathan Bromley, Consultant > > DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how > VHDL * Verilog * SystemC * e * Perl * Tcl/Tk * Project Services > > Doulos Ltd., 22 Market Place, Ringwood, BH24 1AW, UK > jonathan.brom...@MYCOMPANY.comhttp://www.MYCOMPANY.com > > The contents of this message may contain personal views which > are not the views of Doulos Ltd., unless specifically stated.
Thanks a lot. This works! It's not so handy as when I use gtp for implementation in ISE, as I can define only the signals that I am using, and the tool deals with the rest of them. Now I have to say what happens to each of the component ports, but I wouldn't call that a problem :-) Cheers, Ruzica
Reply by HT-Lab April 24, 20092009-04-24
"Ruzica" <ruleevropa@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello all, > > I am using Modelsim 6.3 and ISE 10.1 and have a gtp_dual in my > design. When I try to simulate it, Modelsim reports the following > error: > > (vcom-1141) Identifier "gtp_dual" does not identify a component > declaration. > > I have all the libraries with smartmodels installed in Modelsim, in > fact I can see the component gtp_dual in Unisim and Simprim libraries > in Modelsim workspace. However, it seems that it does not recognize > this option. > Does someone know what could be the problem? > Many thanks. > > Ruzica
This might help you out: http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/31125.htm Hans www.ht-lab.com
Reply by Jonathan Bromley April 24, 20092009-04-24
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 05:53:04 -0700 (PDT), Ruzica wrote:

>Thanks for your answer. I just saw that the component GTP_DUAL is not >inside the package unisim.vcomponents. Instead it is instantiated as >an entity in another file. How can I tell Modelsim where to search for >this component instantiation?
Probably the easiest fix is to use direct instantiation. Where you currently have some_instance_name: GTP_DUAL generic map (whatever) port map (whatever); you could instead write some_instance_name: entity THE_LIB.GTP_DUAL generic map (whatever) port map (whatever); where THE_LIB is the name of the library into which GTP_DUAL has already been compiled. Using direct instantiation in this way, there is no need for a component declaration.
>> I can't find the gtp_dual component anywhere in my Xilinx >> simulation library sources; what am I missing? >> -- >It should be defined in the folder where ISE has been installed in the >path Xilinx\10.1\ISE\vhdl\src\unisims. You should follow the >guidelines in http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/24800.htm >in order to install it in Modelsim.
Yes. I think I was just being stupid, and looking at my WebPack installation which perhaps lacks those components. -- Jonathan Bromley, Consultant DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how VHDL * Verilog * SystemC * e * Perl * Tcl/Tk * Project Services Doulos Ltd., 22 Market Place, Ringwood, BH24 1AW, UK jonathan.bromley@MYCOMPANY.com http://www.MYCOMPANY.com The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not the views of Doulos Ltd., unless specifically stated.
Reply by Ruzica April 24, 20092009-04-24
On Apr 24, 1:26=A0pm, Jonathan Bromley <jonathan.brom...@MYCOMPANY.com>
wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 04:09:51 -0700 (PDT), Ruzica wrote: > > I am using Modelsim 6.3 and ISE 10.1 and have a gtp_dual in my > >design. When I try to simulate it, Modelsim reports the following > >error: > > > (vcom-1141) Identifier "gtp_dual" does not identify a component > >declaration. > > >I have all the libraries with smartmodels installed in Modelsim, in > >fact I can see the component gtp_dual in Unisim and Simprim libraries > >in Modelsim workspace. However, it seems that it does not recognize > >this option. > >Does someone know what could be the problem? > > Errrm, it sounds like there's no component declaration :-) > > The fact that an entity/architecture exists in a library > does not allow the VHDL compiler to know about it by magic. > You probably forgot a use clause, for the package containing > the gtp_dual component declaration. =A0And the synthesis tool > (ISE?) probably cheats, and assumes it knows all about the > Xilinx primitives already. >
Hi Jonathan, Thanks for your answer. I just saw that the component GTP_DUAL is not inside the package unisim.vcomponents. Instead it is instantiated as an entity in another file. How can I tell Modelsim where to search for this component instantiation?
> I can't find the gtp_dual component anywhere in my Xilinx > simulation library sources; what am I missing? > --
It should be defined in the folder where ISE has been installed in the path Xilinx\10.1\ISE\vhdl\src\unisims. You should follow the guidelines in http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/24800.htm in order to install it in Modelsim.
Reply by Jonathan Bromley April 24, 20092009-04-24
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 04:09:51 -0700 (PDT), Ruzica wrote:

> I am using Modelsim 6.3 and ISE 10.1 and have a gtp_dual in my >design. When I try to simulate it, Modelsim reports the following >error: > > (vcom-1141) Identifier "gtp_dual" does not identify a component >declaration. > >I have all the libraries with smartmodels installed in Modelsim, in >fact I can see the component gtp_dual in Unisim and Simprim libraries >in Modelsim workspace. However, it seems that it does not recognize >this option. >Does someone know what could be the problem?
Errrm, it sounds like there's no component declaration :-) The fact that an entity/architecture exists in a library does not allow the VHDL compiler to know about it by magic. You probably forgot a use clause, for the package containing the gtp_dual component declaration. And the synthesis tool (ISE?) probably cheats, and assumes it knows all about the Xilinx primitives already. I can't find the gtp_dual component anywhere in my Xilinx simulation library sources; what am I missing? -- Jonathan Bromley, Consultant DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how VHDL * Verilog * SystemC * e * Perl * Tcl/Tk * Project Services Doulos Ltd., 22 Market Place, Ringwood, BH24 1AW, UK jonathan.bromley@MYCOMPANY.com http://www.MYCOMPANY.com The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not the views of Doulos Ltd., unless specifically stated.