Reply by Austin Lesea April 19, 20042004-04-19
Joseph,

The Coolrunner is a CPLD, and the 4000 was a FPGA:  totally different
architectures.  Both are programmable logic devices, however.  In
general, the largest CPLD is still much smaller than the smallest FPGA
in the capacity to do something (gates, flops, etc).  CPLDs like
Coolrunner have extremely low quiescent current and get used in
handheld, or portabke devices often (like cellphones), whereas the FPGA
has a larger quiescent current and is not usually found in a battery
operated device, but rather its large number of gates are used in places
like cellular base-stations.

Austin

Joseph Goldburg wrote:

> What's the difference between say the Xilinx Coolrunner CPLD > and the Xilinx 4000 FPGA series. > > I noticed the coolrunner dev kit for $50 USD > > Please reply to this new group and wizard1@netspace.net.au > > Thanks in advance > > Joseph > >
Reply by Leon Heller April 17, 20042004-04-17
"Joseph Goldburg" <wizard1@SPAMnetspace.net.au> wrote in message
> What's the difference between say the Xilinx Coolrunner CPLD > and the Xilinx 4000 FPGA series. > > I noticed the coolrunner dev kit for $50 USD
The Coolrunner is a current product and the 4000 series devices are obsolete. 8-) Leon
Reply by Joseph Goldburg April 17, 20042004-04-17