Reply by Joel Williams April 27, 20112011-04-27
> I have a Virtex4 MB board. It doesn't have an embedded MAC, that is > why I have to use soft IP core. What is my best option then? Can it > be done without using microblaze processor? > > By alternatives I meant, alternative to TEMAC IP core if I need to > have the ethernet connectivity...
Whether or not you can get away with not using a processor depends on the nature of the data you're sending. If you're just transmitting a continuous stream of data, for example, a simple state machine is ample. You're welcome to have a look at a state machine implementation of a UDP packet generator and soft gigabit MAC I've put together: http://tristesse.org/DigilentAtlysResources This example doesn't use the Xilinx TEMAC, but it would be reasonably straightforward to convert, and the Xilinx core should be a lot simpler to use that than the core I employed.
> The document you mentioned is using embedded MAC, however my board > doesn't have one. I have to use TEMAC soft IP core. Can you please > tell me any helpful tutorial or document which explains how to use > the core step by step. Thank you.
DS537 should be all you need. There aren't really any introductory tutorials since everyone will want to use the core differently. You really ought to read it from beginning to end and study the timing diagrams to ensure that you understand how it works, and make notes about details that seem relevant to your application as you go. Joel
Reply by hassoo April 27, 20112011-04-27
>I suggest perusing the Xilinx web site looking for application notes >that are close to what you want to do. > >There's Xapp807 - the TEMAC on a Virtex 4. > >PS: It's spelled "please" - typing the three additional key-strokes >will show that you're not lazy. >
The document you mentioned is using embedded MAC, however my board doesn't have one. I have to use TEMAC soft IP core. Can you please tell me any helpful tutorial or document which explains how to use the core step by step. Thank you. Regards, --------------------------------------- Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
Reply by hassoo April 27, 20112011-04-27
>Hassoo, > >If you are new to the world of FPGAs, please be aware that it is not a >trivial task to drop in complicated IP such as an Ethernet MAC. >Hopefully you have a board with a fully tested and proven Ethernet >interface on it..? There are plenty of development boards out there >with a Virtex-4 and Ethernet present. > >You mentioned alternatives... did you mean alternatives to Ethernet? >Depends of course on what you are trying to do, but perhaps a good >first step for you (as a beginner) is a serial interface. If you just >want to communicate with the FPGA and are not worried about sending / >receiving data very quickly, this is orders of magnitude simpler. > >-- >Mike Shogren >Director of FPGA Development >Epiq Solutions >http://www.epiq-solutions.com
I have a Virtex4 MB board. It doesn't have an embedded MAC, that is why I have to use soft IP core. What is my best option then? Can it be done without using microblaze processor? By alternatives I meant, alternative to TEMAC IP core if I need to have the ethernet connectivity... Regards,

--------------------------------------- Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
Reply by Hal Murray April 7, 20112011-04-07
In article <inku4h$rev$1@dont-email.me>,
 "scrts" <mailsoc@[remove@here]gmail.com> writes:

>What about UDP/RTP packet transmission without softcpu? Are there any >references? I would like to stream video over ethernet, so softcpu is not an >option.
It's certainly possible to send UDP packets without a CPU. If you are asking the question, you have a lot of homework to do. I would start by making a pair of programs that send and receive the sort of packets you want to use. Then get out tcpdump/etherreal/wireshark and make sure you understand every bit in the packet. Then get out a scope and make sure you can find those bits on the wire. (That was easier in the old days of coax (thickwire) ethernet since there really was a wire. You might be able to find "the wire" inside an old hub. -- These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer's. I hate spam.
Reply by NeedCleverHandle April 7, 20112011-04-07
On Apr 6, 6:14=A0am, "hassoo" <husnain_kazimi@n_o_s_p_a_m.hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi all, > > I am new to the world of FPGA. I want to communicate my Virtex 4 XC4VSX35 > FPGA to PC using Tri-mode Ethernet MAC IP core. Please give me any > suggestion how to start... > Also recommend some basic documentation which helps me understand. > Or if there is any better alternative, plz do share it with me... > > Regards, > Hassoo > > --------------------------------------- =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 > Posted throughhttp://www.FPGARelated.com
I suggest perusing the Xilinx web site looking for application notes that are close to what you want to do. There's Xapp807 - the TEMAC on a Virtex 4. PS: It's spelled "please" - typing the three additional key-strokes will show that you're not lazy.
Reply by scrts April 7, 20112011-04-07
"Mike Shogren" <mike@epiq-solutions.com> wrote in message
> Hassoo, > > If you are new to the world of FPGAs, please be aware that it is not a > trivial task to drop in complicated IP such as an Ethernet MAC. > Hopefully you have a board with a fully tested and proven Ethernet > interface on it..? There are plenty of development boards out there > with a Virtex-4 and Ethernet present.
What about UDP/RTP packet transmission without softcpu? Are there any references? I would like to stream video over ethernet, so softcpu is not an option.
Reply by Mike Shogren April 7, 20112011-04-07

--
Mike Shogren
Director of FPGA Development
Epiq Solutions
http://www.epiq-solutions.com
Reply by scrts April 6, 20112011-04-06
There is a very small chance of doing such task using UDP protocol...
Anyway, You better use at least picoblaze for PHY control and let the stream
go without the cpu.

"hassoo" <husnain_kazimi@n_o_s_p_a_m.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, > > I am new to the world of FPGA. I want to communicate my Virtex 4 XC4VSX35 > FPGA to PC using Tri-mode Ethernet MAC IP core. Please give me any > suggestion how to start... > Also recommend some basic documentation which helps me understand. > Or if there is any better alternative, plz do share it with me... > > Regards, > Hassoo > > > > --------------------------------------- > Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
Reply by hassoo April 6, 20112011-04-06

Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com