Nios II really available ?

Started by geoffrey brown June 8, 2004
Has anybody actually received updates to their Quartus and Nios toolkits
to support Nios II ?

Geoffrey

geoffrey brown <geoffrey.DeLeTebrown@acm.orgDeLeTe> wrote in message news:<jjixc.16271$4S5.13174@attbi_s52>...
> Has anybody actually received updates to their Quartus and Nios toolkits > to support Nios II ? > > Geoffrey
Hi Geoffrey, The Nios II development kits for Cyclone and Stratix begin shipping next week (week of June 14). Updates to Nios subscribers ship the following week. If you have an urgent need to get the update sooner, please email me. Best Regards, Bob Bob Garrett Altera Product Marketing Manager, Nios
Bob Garrett wrote:
> The Nios II development kits for Cyclone and Stratix begin shipping > next week (week of June 14). Updates to Nios subscribers ship the > following week. If you have an urgent need to get the update sooner, > please email me. > > Bob Garrett > Altera > Product Marketing Manager, Nios
Any news on when a Stratix-II Dev kit will be available? Tommy
We have highlighted that Stratix II devices will ship to customers in
July. Stratix II checkout and characterization is proceeding ahead of
schedule. Stratix II Development Kits are on track to ship later in
Q3.
Dave Greenfield
Altera Product Marketing

> > Any news on when a Stratix-II Dev kit will be available? > > Tommy
There is no difference in Stratix and Stratix II anyway. So what does
it matter? If there is a difference, other than Altera finally doing a
full copy of the Virtex II structure, I'd be happy to hear about it.

There is no new innovation in Stratix II. It's just a shrink of
Stratix. A bit faster and denser. That's it. Stratix II is same as
Stratix.

Hey, what happened to the vaunted Terminator technology? It got
stripped out of Stratix. I see it is supposed to work in Stratix II
again. Serial resistor only. I guess we will find out if it does or
not after several customers find out if it meets the spec. Just like
in Stratix.

"Stifler" <seannstifler69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> There is no difference in Stratix and Stratix II anyway. So what does > it matter? If there is a difference, other than Altera finally doing a > full copy of the Virtex II structure, I'd be happy to hear about it. > > There is no new innovation in Stratix II. It's just a shrink of > Stratix. A bit faster and denser. That's it. Stratix II is same as > Stratix. >
You haven't looked at any information on the Stratix II, have you? They use a completely different type of basic logic element (6 input LUTs with 2 outputs, rather than the standard 4 input, 1 output LUT). Ultimately, the result is faster and denser, but it is hardly "just" a shrink of the Stratix. And of course, there is the usual progress you'd expect for a new generation of chips - more memory, faster I/O, etc., which is useful but not as "innovative" as the new logic structure.