Forums

Xilinx ParallelCable IV vs. Linux

Started by Stephen Williams June 11, 2004
Does anybody know if the Xilinx Paralel cable IV cable can
be made to work under Linux w/ ISE 6.1i.03? And to make it
even more interesting, my Linux is AMD64, will the driver work
at all on this system?

.... and while we're on the subject, the Linux driver source is
itself is pretty basic. Is there programming informatino for the
cable that one can use to write custom software to drive the
device.
--
http://www.icarus.com         and lines to code before I sleep,

The following solution record should help:

http://support.xilinx.com/xlnx/xil_ans_display.jsp?iLanguageID=1&iCountryID=1&getPagePath=18612

There is information that allows for customized cable use.

Neil Glenn Jacobson wrote:
> The following solution record should help: > > http://support.xilinx.com/xlnx/xil_ans_display.jsp?iLanguageID=1&iCountryID=1&getPagePath=18612 > > > There is information that allows for customized cable use.
Not really. There is driver source, but all that does is allow one to write programs to send bytes to the device. That does not say what the interesting byte streams are. For example, is it a bit-banged JTAG interface, or are there high-level commands that the device understands. I've downloaded and looked at the driver source in the tar file. It is a very thin layer. This basically tells me there are ways to send bytes, but nothing about what those bytes should be. And these app notes say that Linux support starts with ISE 6.2i. That is not what I was hoping to hear. -- Steve Williams "The woods are lovely, dark and deep. steve at icarus.com But I have promises to keep, http://www.icarus.com and lines to code before I sleep, http://www.picturel.com And lines to code before I sleep."
Sorry - typo - there is NO information that allows customized for cable use.

The solution record describes how to make the driver work for iMPACT on
other Linux platforms.

Stephen Williams wrote:
> Neil Glenn Jacobson wrote: > >> The following solution record should help: >> >> http://support.xilinx.com/xlnx/xil_ans_display.jsp?iLanguageID=1&iCountryID=1&getPagePath=18612 >> >> >> There is information that allows for customized cable use. > > > Not really. There is driver source, but all that does is allow > one to write programs to send bytes to the device. That does not > say what the interesting byte streams are. For example, is it a > bit-banged JTAG interface, or are there high-level commands that > the device understands. > > I've downloaded and looked at the driver source in the tar file. > It is a very thin layer. This basically tells me there are ways > to send bytes, but nothing about what those bytes should be. > > And these app notes say that Linux support starts with ISE 6.2i. > That is not what I was hoping to hear. >
Sorry - typo -

There is NO information that allows for customized cable use.

The cable is for use only with Xilinx-supplied applications

And the Xilinx applications with ISE 6.1i cannot use it under Linux. Correct? -- Steve Williams "The woods are lovely, dark and deep. steve at icarus.com But I have promises to keep, http://www.icarus.com and lines to code before I sleep, http://www.picturel.com And lines to code before I sleep."
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:31:18 -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:

> > Does anybody know if the Xilinx Paralel cable IV cable can > be made to work under Linux w/ ISE 6.1i.03? And to make it > even more interesting, my Linux is AMD64, will the driver work > at all on this system? > > > .... and while we're on the subject, the Linux driver source is > itself is pretty basic. Is there programming informatino for the > cable that one can use to write custom software to drive the > device.
The driver is tied to the kernel in Redhat 8.0 (I think it's 2.4.17). They don't have a patch for a modern kernel.
The driver source is available, so it is *not* tied to RedHat 8. There is an APP note that covers this. -- Steve Williams "The woods are lovely, dark and deep. steve at icarus.com But I have promises to keep, http://www.icarus.com and lines to code before I sleep, http://www.picturel.com And lines to code before I sleep."

Stephen Williams wrote:

> Neil Glenn Jacobson wrote: > >> Sorry - typo - >> >> There is NO information that allows for customized cable use. >> >> The cable is for use only with Xilinx-supplied applications > > > And the Xilinx applications with ISE 6.1i cannot use it under > Linux. Correct? > >
No. Applications like iMPACT and ChipScope should be able to use the cables under Linux
Neil Glenn Jacobson wrote:
> > > Stephen Williams wrote: > >> Neil Glenn Jacobson wrote: >> >>> Sorry - typo - >>> >>> There is NO information that allows for customized cable use. >>> >>> The cable is for use only with Xilinx-supplied applications >> >> >> >> And the Xilinx applications with ISE 6.1i cannot use it under >> Linux. Correct? >> >> > > No. Applications like iMPACT and ChipScope should be able to use the > cables under Linux
Even if this is iMPACT bundled with ISE *6.1i*? I was under the impression (based on APP notes and the like) that under Linux, iMPACT starts supporing the PCIV cable at ISE 6.2. Certainly, when I start impact, the radio button for Parallel Cable IV is grayed out. Are you saying that when the cable arrives, I'll be able to plug it in, install the Linux driver, and un-gray the selection? -- Steve Williams "The woods are lovely, dark and deep. steve at icarus.com But I have promises to keep, http://www.icarus.com and lines to code before I sleep, http://www.picturel.com And lines to code before I sleep."