Xilinx tools for XC3020???

Started by Mike Butts March 25, 2013
I've got a 20-year-old Xilinx XC3020 development board. I think it would be fun to fire it up and bring it to the 20th anniversary FCCM in Seattle next month. (http://fccm.org/2013/)

I don't see XC3000-series supported on even the oldest archived ISE at xilinx.com. Anyone know where I can find some tools for this old chip? It has 64 CLBs and 256 flip-flops! Maybe one of you folks at Xilinx? Thanks!

  --Mike

On 3/25/2013 7:04 PM, Mike Butts wrote:
> I've got a 20-year-old Xilinx XC3020 development board. I think it would be fun to fire it up and bring it to the 20th anniversary FCCM in Seattle next month. (http://fccm.org/2013/) > > I don't see XC3000-series supported on even the oldest archived ISE at xilinx.com. Anyone know where I can find some tools for this old chip? It has 64 CLBs and 256 flip-flops! Maybe one of you folks at Xilinx? Thanks! > > --Mike > >
A major problem with the really old Xilinx tools (Alliance and Foundation) is that Xilinx did not provide the front-end (synthesis or schematics). In the alliance version you had to buy a third-party tool like ViewLogic to get a front end. Foundation added an Aldec front-end, but then there was a falling out between Xilinx and Aldec so Xilinx is no longer able to supply those tools (although for people who already had them they still run - I have Foundation 4.1i to support really old designs, but not as old as the XC3000 series). I'm not sure what you could get running in a chip that small that might impress anyone at FCCM, unless it's just the antiquity of the thing. In any case, unless you find someone who still has a running copy of the old tools, you'll spend way too much to get the development environment. -- Gabor
On 3/25/2013 8:04 PM, Mike Butts wrote:
> I've got a 20-year-old Xilinx XC3020 development board. I think it would be fun to fire it up and bring it to the 20th anniversary FCCM in Seattle next month. (http://fccm.org/2013/) > > I don't see XC3000-series supported on even the oldest archived ISE at xilinx.com. Anyone know where I can find some tools for this old chip? It has 64 CLBs and 256 flip-flops! Maybe one of you folks at Xilinx? Thanks! > > --Mike
I have a set of tools from the 1999 time frame that might just do what you want. It has a parallel port key which is still around somewhere. I don't have the nerve to try to get this working on anything remotely current. If you have a copy of Windows 98 running on a ISA bus machine somewhere it might do it for you. But that will be the problem, finding a machine that will still run the software. I guess it is possible it might run on a current machine... if you have the floppy drives for it... lol I'm not sure if the media is floppy or CD, at that time it was a toss, even for larger distributions I think. If you want it, I might just box it up and send it all to you. I am a junk collector, but I know I'll never fire that up again. -- Rick
Thanks Rick and Gabor,

You reminded me to dig through my dusty old CD-ROMs. I found two sets of Xilinx Student Edition (predecessor to WebPack), one from 1999, the other from 2001, both with notes that might include the codes required. I'll see if they work on my PC.

As for schematic or synthesis tools, no need - back then I got quite comfortable writing xnf files from scratch and running map/par/bitgen from the command line.

Of course all anybody could fit in 64 LUTs is a demo toy like random dice or the infamous traffic light controller. It's a reminder of how FPGAs have grown with Moore's Law in 20 years, from 1K gates to 10M gates!
On 27.03.2013 01:00, rickman wrote:
> I don't have the nerve to try to get this working on anything remotely > current.
Virtual machines do a very good job here. I have ISE 4.1 running on a Windows XP virtual machine here to support Spartan XL. It's a good thing nobody asked for any changes on the XC5206 Design that we still sell. It's not even VHDL or Verilog. Rumor has it someone here has a Windows 3.1 machine (Hardware, not virtual) with the tools to support it somewhere. But I'm not going wake sleeping dogs here. - Philip -- Rule 15: Know your way out (Zombieland)
On 3/25/2013 7:04 PM, Mike Butts wrote:
> I've got a 20-year-old Xilinx XC3020 development board. I think it would be fun to fire it up and bring it to the 20th anniversary FCCM in Seattle next month. (http://fccm.org/2013/) > > I don't see XC3000-series supported on even the oldest archived ISE at xilinx.com. Anyone know where I can find some tools for this old chip? It has 64 CLBs and 256 flip-flops! Maybe one of you folks at Xilinx? Thanks! > > --Mike > >
Is this a 'plain' XC3020 or the XC3020A or 'L'? I have a Foundation Express 1.5 loaded up on a Win 98 VM running under VMware Workstation 8 on a Win 7 host. Just for 'fun' I coded up an 8-bit counter and was able to push the design all the way through the flow and generate a bit file. Unfortunately F1.5 doesn't support the original XC3000 family, only the later 'A' and 'L' revisions. That's too bad because I just found several XC3042's, 3020's, 2018's, 2064's, and some 95108's in my collection. What kind of retro project could be built with that collection of logic? I'm certain that I have earlier versions of the Xilinx somewhere that will support that old stuff. All of the licenses back then were locked to a hard drive serial number, which are easy to change when moving to a new pc - real or virtual. --Paul
Hi Paul,

It's a plain XC3020. I installed a 2001 Student Edition on my Win7 machine, and it appears to run. All it needed was the license code that came with the CD-ROM.

I'm pretty sure XC3020 and XC3020A differ only in timing and the same bitfile can work on both. Anyway I'll be finding out sometime soon and I'll post how it goes.
Thanks all!

  --Mike
2013=EB=85=84 4=EC=9B=94 5=EC=9D=BC =EA=B8=88=EC=9A=94=EC=9D=BC =EC=98=A4=
=EC=A0=84 7=EC=8B=9C 20=EB=B6=84 9=EC=B4=88 UTC+9, Mike Butts =EB=8B=98=EC=
=9D=98 =EB=A7=90:
> Hi Paul, >=20 >=20 >=20 > It's a plain XC3020. I installed a 2001 Student Edition on my Win7 machin=
e, and it appears to run. All it needed was the license code that came with= the CD-ROM.=20
>=20 >=20 >=20 > I'm pretty sure XC3020 and XC3020A differ only in timing and the same bit=
file can work on both. Anyway I'll be finding out sometime soon and I'll po= st how it goes.=20
>=20 > Thanks all! >=20 >=20 >=20 > --Mike
Hi Mike, Do you have any progress? I am very interesting your work...^^ Thanks. Wayne Hwang
On 4/4/2013 6:20 PM, Mike Butts wrote:
> Hi Paul, > > It's a plain XC3020. I installed a 2001 Student Edition on my Win7 machine, and it appears to run. All it needed was the license code that came with the CD-ROM. > > I'm pretty sure XC3020 and XC3020A differ only in timing and the same bitfile can work on both. Anyway I'll be finding out sometime soon and I'll post how it goes. > Thanks all!
I take it you are on your way. I found my old Xilinx software *and* what I think are the dongles for it, a couple three of them. I believe the oldest version is Foundation 1.4, but I'm not sure as I seem to have left the box will it all at my other place. I actually promised this to someone so I need to find his email and tell him I can ship it if he is still interested. I also have a set of floppies with ViewLogic (if I remember the right name)... they *are* 3.5 inch floppies, not 5 1/4. :p -- Rick
In article <l3i913$1af$1@dont-email.me>, rickman  <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 4/4/2013 6:20 PM, Mike Butts wrote: >> Hi Paul,
>> It's a plain XC3020. I installed a 2001 Student Edition on my Win7 machine, and it >appears to run. All it needed was the license code that came with the CD-ROM.
>> I'm pretty sure XC3020 and XC3020A differ only in timing and the same bitfile can work >on both. Anyway I'll be finding out sometime soon and I'll post how it goes. >> Thanks all!
>I take it you are on your way. I found my old Xilinx software *and* >what I think are the dongles for it, a couple three of them. I believe >the oldest version is Foundation 1.4, but I'm not sure as I seem to have >left the box will it all at my other place.
I can confirm that Xilinx XACT runs on Windows-XP (with the dongle). You can hand-edit your XC2064s :-) Also, I remember that early versions of Foundation were tied to the partition serial number in the MBR (which you can easily change with DOS "debug" command). I mean the first versions which finally got rid of the dongle. -- /* jhallen@world.std.com AB1GO */ /* Joseph H. Allen */ int a[1817];main(z,p,q,r){for(p=80;q+p-80;p-=2*a[p])for(z=9;z--;)q=3&(r=time(0) +r*57)/7,q=q?q-1?q-2?1-p%79?-1:0:p%79-77?1:0:p<1659?79:0:p>158?-79:0,q?!a[p+q*2 ]?a[p+=a[p+=q]=q]=q:0:0;for(;q++-1817;)printf(q%79?"%c":"%c\n"," #"[!a[q-1]]);}