Ethernet packet..

Started by Moti Cohen July 12, 2004
Hy guys, I'm currently working on a 10/100 ETHERNET mac implementation
in an FPGA (using vhdl). in order to simulate my state machine I need
to feed a real ETHERNET packet to it (in order to see if the crc check
is exeuted correctly etc.). I will realy appreciate to get a complete
ETHERNET packet (all bytes from PREAMBLE to FCS) so I could insert it
to my modelsim simulation.

the format I'm expecting is as follows..

[55][55][55]... -> .. [FCS3][FCS2][FCS1][FCS0]

You could use a network sniffer to capture a packet from your LAN. This will not capture the preamble and is unlikely to capture the CRC. You may get lucky though. I just checked with Ethereal ( http://www.ethereal.com/ ) and it didn't capture the CRC on my hardware :( Or, you could ask on news:comp.dcom.lans.ethernet, where this question would be on-topic. Regards, Allan.
thnaks.. luckily, I found a program in the web that generates a complete ethernet packet. This is the link if anyone needs a similar thing.. http://www.fpga4fun.com/10BASE-T2.html Regards, Moti.