Forums

Xilinx Virtex 4

Started by Andreas Sch. July 13, 2004
Hi,

does anybody know if the Virtex 4 family
still has some dynamic partial reconfiguration
capability? I haven't found this information
on their website :(

Andreas
Andreas,

V4 has the ICAP (internal configuration access port) that has been in 
since Virtex II.

V4 also has some other reconfiguration features, but those will have to 
wait until characterization is complete to be disclosed.

Austin

Andreas Sch. wrote:
> Hi, > > does anybody know if the Virtex 4 family > still has some dynamic partial reconfiguration > capability? I haven't found this information > on their website :( > > Andreas
Austin Lesea wrote:

> V4 has the ICAP (internal configuration access port) that has been in > since Virtex II. > > V4 also has some other reconfiguration features, but those will have > to wait until characterization is complete to be disclosed.
Approximately when do you expect that we will be able to read the sort of technical detail that appeals to this newsgroup? After the summer holidays? Early next year? Late next year? Would Halloween be appropriate?
Hey Tim,
Give the bloke a break, mate! If you jump down his throat every time he
tries to give us a lead, he's gonna stop posting. Why not use the titbit
like I intend to? Start hassling your FAE for some more info under NDA.
Cheers, Syms.
"Tim" <tim@rockylogic.com.nooospam.com> wrote in message
news:cd16ka$ai0$1$830fa795@news.demon.co.uk...
> Austin Lesea wrote: > > > V4 has the ICAP (internal configuration access port) that has been in > > since Virtex II. > > > > V4 also has some other reconfiguration features, but those will have > > to wait until characterization is complete to be disclosed. > > Approximately when do you expect that we will be able to read > the sort of technical detail that appeals to this newsgroup? > > After the summer holidays? Early next year? Late next year? > > Would Halloween be appropriate? > >
Symon wrote:
> Hey Tim, > Give the bloke a break, mate! If you jump down his throat every time > he tries to give us a lead, he's gonna stop posting. Why not use the > titbit like I intend to? Start hassling your FAE for some more info > under NDA.
Well, it was an innocent inquiry. And AL will pass if he can't say anything. As soon as one speaks to an FAE the whole sales thing starts. Sometimes product planning has to be approached by searching for an intersection between the customers' unlimited wants and the technology which is available at the price point. Browsing the data is the first step, long before a posssible order is on the radar.
Let me calm down the waves:
There was a press release that we have Vitex-4 parts. So you can be sure
that we are very busy testing and verifying the design, functionality and
performance. We know these parts inside and out, but we are not gonna tell.

Formal public announcement of technical details and availability is being
orchestrated by Marketing.
There are many aspects:
Too early, and you designers complain about lack of availability.
Too late, and we lose a design-in window and thus share of market.
The technical press needs some lead-time, and we have to prepare, revise,
polish and distribute many hundreds of pages of technical documentation. (I
am involved in that).
The official release will be a big event, and nobody should underestimate
the amount of coordinated effort, and the need for keeping the details under
wraps until then.
Don't forget that there is at least one competitor just waiting to exploit
the smallest of missteps. We don't want to give him any ammunition. But we
also want to keep the user community excited and happy.
So, we will release the information "when the time is right".
Stay tuned!
Peter Alfke


> From: "Tim" <tim@rockylogic.com.nooospam.com> > Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga > Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:35:44 +0100 > Subject: Re: Xilinx Virtex 4 > > Symon wrote: >> Hey Tim, >> Give the bloke a break, mate! If you jump down his throat every time >> he tries to give us a lead, he's gonna stop posting. Why not use the >> titbit like I intend to? Start hassling your FAE for some more info >> under NDA. > > Well, it was an innocent inquiry. And AL will pass if he > can't say anything. > > As soon as one speaks to an FAE the whole sales thing > starts. Sometimes product planning has to be approached > by searching for an intersection between the customers' > unlimited wants and the technology which is available > at the price point. Browsing the data is the first step, > long before a posssible order is on the radar. > >