Statix II vs. Virtex 4

Started by Tim Michaels September 17, 2004
Although I have not posted yet to this group, I have an FPGA question.

I am doing an evaluation of the Stratix II and the Virtex 4.  Does
anyone have any comparisons or experience of the features,
performance, etc. of the two devices?  I am trying to understand the
tradeoffs of the two different platforms.
Tim,

There is no comparison.  Seriously.  Just go to the websites and compare
the features.

V4 - triple oxide, low leakage, no power on surge in the core, faster,
over 100 new technical features (like SSIO, DSP48 MAC's, BRAM/FIFO,
256AES, etc.)  4VLX25ES shipping now, development pcbs order entry open
and shipping ...

Stratix II - ... (I'll let them play marketing)

Austin

Tim Michaels wrote:
> Although I have not posted yet to this group, I have an FPGA question. > > I am doing an evaluation of the Stratix II and the Virtex 4. Does > anyone have any comparisons or experience of the features, > performance, etc. of the two devices? I am trying to understand the > tradeoffs of the two different platforms.
Seriously... when are you planning to build? or are you after a one off...
If its not been in the market a year its not worth trying to buy them yet!
Only those in beta and those ordering thousands have any likelihood of
seeing any.  So its not what features they have got... but what features
that you need that's important.  We still use Spartan 2E's at work... why go
to Spartan 3 or vertex if you don't need them ???

Simon

"Tim Michaels" <tkellis4520@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Although I have not posted yet to this group, I have an FPGA question. > > I am doing an evaluation of the Stratix II and the Virtex 4. Does > anyone have any comparisons or experience of the features, > performance, etc. of the two devices? I am trying to understand the > tradeoffs of the two different platforms.
I suggest getting both the libraries and running an apples-apples
comparison on one of your designs.  I found with Stratix and V2 Pro
that our designs produced similar results - one came out a little
smaller and one a little faster honestly I can't remember which.

It turned out for us that since the results were similar enough, price
was the deciding factor.

Chris

Tim Michaels wrote:

> Although I have not posted yet to this group, I have an FPGA question. > > I am doing an evaluation of the Stratix II and the Virtex 4. Does > anyone have any comparisons or experience of the features, > performance, etc. of the two devices? I am trying to understand the > tradeoffs of the two different platforms.
While I assume the silicon to be similar, I expect the tradeoff to be in the development tools. Both have free web versions. For the reason of a colleague showing me Altera tools, I'm stuck with them and I didn't have the two weeks to have a look at the others. A comparing report about the tools would be appreciated. Rene -- Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com & commercial newsgroups - http://www.talkto.net
Austin Lesea <austin@xilinx.com> writes:
> no power on surge in the core,
This sounds interesting; I didn't notice it on the Xilinx site... do you have a link with more information? - a
http://www.fpgajournal.com/articles/20040914_virtex4.htm

you could try this article

"Rene Tschaggelar" <none@none.net> wrote in message
> Tim Michaels wrote: > > > Although I have not posted yet to this group, I have an FPGA question. > > > > I am doing an evaluation of the Stratix II and the Virtex 4. Does > > anyone have any comparisons or experience of the features, > > performance, etc. of the two devices? I am trying to understand the > > tradeoffs of the two different platforms. > > While I assume the silicon to be similar, I expect the > tradeoff to be in the development tools. > > Both have free web versions. > For the reason of a colleague showing me Altera tools, > I'm stuck with them and I didn't have the two weeks to > have a look at the others. > > A comparing report about the tools would be appreciated. > > Rene > -- > Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com > & commercial newsgroups - http://www.talkto.net
He's correct, there is no comparison. Xilinx once again makes a huge
leap in technology. It's a slam dunk. V4 blows Stratix II out of the
water in every regard.

Simon Peacock wrote:
> > Seriously... when are you planning to build? or are you after a one off... > If its not been in the market a year its not worth trying to buy them yet! > Only those in beta and those ordering thousands have any likelihood of > seeing any. So its not what features they have got... but what features > that you need that's important. We still use Spartan 2E's at work... why go > to Spartan 3 or vertex if you don't need them ???
One reason to use a newer part vs. an older part is that they typically cost less per LUT. The Spartan 3 is much cheaper than a Spartan II or IIE. The Cyclone II is much cheaper than the Cyclone (I) or the ACEX parts. Of course it is not a good idea to use a part that you can't get. But you should be able to get Spartan 3 parts by now and from what I have seen Altera has not had the same availability problems that Xilinx always seems to have on new parts. -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
yes and no... older parts can be cheaper..... we are paying about $12 for
our parts... and Spartan 3 maybe cheaper per LUT... but when you don't need
as many as are available.. you are paying for a lot of unused silicon... and
the extra regulator of course... :-)