Spartan 3 Kit

Started by Brad Smallridge October 8, 2004
Where is the demo software for this wonderful Spartan 3 kit?

I was most surprised when I plugged in a VGA monitor and saw
all the switches, buttons, and jumper dispalyed in multicolors.

Does the keyboard input do something as well?

"Brad Smallridge" <bradsmallridge@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
> Where is the demo software for this wonderful Spartan 3 kit? > > I was most surprised when I plugged in a VGA monitor and saw > all the switches, buttons, and jumper dispalyed in multicolors. > > Does the keyboard input do something as well?
http://www.xilinx.com/products/spartan3/s3boards.htm
Thanks Alex,

I was looking for the font and I think I found it under
opb_color_video_ctrl_v1_00_a/ hdl/ vhdl/ opb_color_video_ctrl_v1_00_a/
char_gen_rom.  The comments state what bits are what but not what character
order the bits are in.  Boy, there is a lot of files here.  Has anybody
deciphered and written about this?

I have donloaded all the files.  Since I didn't find an .NPL file I created
a new project and added the VHDL source files to it.  When I went to
synthesize it, however, I got an error saying it couldn't find this library
file, which I gather has something to do with MicroBlaze.

library Common_v1_00_a;
use Common_v1_00_a.pselect;

architecture IMP of opb_color_video_ctrl is

So can I get this file or can I synthesize something without it?

b r a d @ a i v i s i o n . c o m

Brad,

The design was done using MicroBlaze and the Embedded Development Kit
(EDK).  The project was built from the MicroBlaze Master System.
http://www.xilinx.com/products/spartan3/s3boards.htm

There is a VGA controller core in the project and if you look at the
source code and the output to the VGA port in the Master System then you
should be able to decipher what character maps to what value in the RAM.

If you are using the core outside of the EDK environment then you will
have to make changes to the source code files as they to use some
Libraries only found in the EDK tools.

Cheers,
Shalin-