[OT] USA solar eclipse Aug.21.2017

Started by Rick C. Hodgin August 22, 2017
I had a chance to drive from Indianapolis, IN to Princeton, KY
and see the solar eclipse in the band of full totality.  We wound
up about 5 miles away from the center-most area of the darkness
band, about 10 miles south-southwest of Pendleton.

We were at a little church called Eddy Creek Baptist Church, and
there were about 25 people from all over the mid-western US there.
We were all strangers who gathered together at a local place to
witness this incredible event.

I can't describe what it was like to see the sun fully obscured
by the moon.  The brilliant white light hair halo which went out
was beyond anything I've ever seen in pictures of a full solar
eclipse.  It was so much more white, and almost alive.

The Earth went from having quite a bit of light where everything
was normally visible to our eyesight, to being in the levels of
full eclipse light in only about 10 seconds ... and the change
was astounding.

It wasn't as dark as I expected, but there was still a lot of
light being given from the streaks of hair extending out from
the fully eclipsed sun, and the light on the horizon gave some
light.  I would describe it as when it's nighttime and getting
dark and you can't make out details on things any longer, but
you can still see they're there.  It was much much brighter
than the strongest fullest moon I've ever seen.

The air cooled quite a bit during the last half of the eclipse,
but when it was fully eclipsed it cooled rapidly, to the point
where even a slight breeze picked up and it even began to feel
a little damp like the start of dew.

Crickets began to chirp.  A rooster from a nearby farm house
begin to crow several times.  And there was a full 360 degree
sunset-like appearance on the horizon, where every bit of the
horizon sky was red and pink.  Several people in our group
took full 360 panoramic views of that horizon.

As the eclipse was approaching, and after it was leaving, the
trees left eclipse shaped sun areas on the ground.  A lot of
people here in Indiana reported seeing that as they were not
in the band of totality, but only saw a partial eclipse of
about 85% or so.

It all went by so quick.  We each stood there at the church
in full amazement at the moment, what we were seeing, and also
what we were feeling.  It brought us all to elation, like the
biggest smiles and happiest faces.  We all commented on how
there was so much going on that it was overwhelming.  We really
needed to hit the rewind button and go back and experience it
over again and again to take it all in.

-----
I've never experienced anything like it.  I went to England in
1996, and I drive through western Canada and Alaska in 2002.
Apart from some other driving trips those are the big ones I
can remember.

This event surpasses the England trip, and is on par with the
Alaska trip, though the Alaska trip was ~20 days and we saw so
much more, and this was only a two-day event to drive down,
witness the eclipse, and drive back.

There's another solar eclipse in the USA on Apr.08.2024.  It
will extend from Texas through to Maine.  It passes right
through Indianapolis and I live about as close to the center
band of eclipse totality for this next eclipse trek as we were
there near Princeton, KY on this one.

It's nearly seven years away, but I would suggest reserving plans
in the back of your mind to witness this event.  And if you live
in another nation and have the opportunity, go and see your local
eclipse in the band of totality.  It's an experience you'll never
forget, and it is deeply moving on so many levels (its raw beauty,
the sense of awe it inspires, and there are emotional and spiritual
components as you look up and see this massive thing in the uni-
verse where, for a moment, you are able to realize how small you
truly are, and how big God's creation truly is).

I recommend it for everybody from young kids to aged adults.
The range of ages we saw there was around retirement, and down
to probably six years old with the grandkids.

My son was 13 years old when he saw this one.  He'll be 20 on
the next one (James 4:15 "Lord willing").  If we're able to see
it, it will be exciting for him to see how the two compare with
two different sets of age-group eyes and understandings.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin
On 22/08/2017 17:17, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
[snip]
> eclipse in the band of totality.  It's an experience you'll never > forget, and it is deeply moving on so many levels (its raw beauty, > the sense of awe it inspires, and there are emotional and spiritual > components as you look up and see this massive thing in the uni- > verse where, for a moment, you are able to realize how small you > truly are, and how big God's creation truly is).
[snip] But the world is flat according to the Bible yes? Rick, fuck off; until you stop posting religious shite I am not interested in your non-religious posts including those about C++. /Flibble
On 8/22/2017 4:23 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On 22/08/2017 17:17, Rick C. Hodgin wrote: > [snip] >> eclipse in the band of totality.  It's an experience you'll never >> forget, and it is deeply moving on so many levels (its raw beauty, >> the sense of awe it inspires, and there are emotional and spiritual >> components as you look up and see this massive thing in the uni- >> verse where, for a moment, you are able to realize how small you >> truly are, and how big God's creation truly is). > [snip] > But the world is flat according to the Bible yes?
No. Not even close. Your ignorance of God, of truth, of the true teachings of the Bible (those supplanted in your mind by the lies of the devil who presents his twists and falsenesses to you as though they are truth), will be your undoing, Leigh. It is not God who will condemn you. You will condemn you, because you would not hear the truth. I love you, Leigh. I teach you the way out of condemnation. It is not a shameful thing to come to God and say, "I need help. I need to be forgiven." We are all in the same filled-with-sin boat, and that is why Jesus came in to the world. He came to save us from Hell fire. He came to save us from our sin. He came to forgive all who will come to Him and acknowledge before Him the truth: that you are a sinner, that you have done wrong, and that you need to be forgiven. He invites you to be with Him in eternity, Leigh. All you have to do is acknowledge the truth, and ask forgiveness for your sin. He could not have made it any easier and still given you a choice. Thank you, Rick C. Hodgin
On 22/08/2017 21:37, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
> On 8/22/2017 4:23 PM, Mr Flibble wrote: >> On 22/08/2017 17:17, Rick C. Hodgin wrote: >> [snip] >>> eclipse in the band of totality.  It's an experience you'll never >>> forget, and it is deeply moving on so many levels (its raw beauty, >>> the sense of awe it inspires, and there are emotional and spiritual >>> components as you look up and see this massive thing in the uni- >>> verse where, for a moment, you are able to realize how small you >>> truly are, and how big God's creation truly is). >> [snip] >> But the world is flat according to the Bible yes? > > No.  Not even close.  Your ignorance of God, of truth, of the > true teachings of the Bible (those supplanted in your mind by > the lies of the devil who presents his twists and falsenesses > to you as though they are truth), will be your undoing, Leigh. > > It is not God who will condemn you.  You will condemn you, > because you would not hear the truth.
Everything you say is predicated on your belief that the Bible is true. Well consider this: Assumption #1: Genesis creation story is a myth/allegory and Adam and Eve are a fiction. Assumption #2: Jesus Christ (either biblical or historical) existed. The Bible (Old and New Testaments) describe the genealogy of Jesus Christ all the way from Joseph and Mary back to Adam and Eve. Given our two assumptions at what point does this 50-generation genealogy transition from fact to fiction and what is the proof of this transition? IMO the entire genealogy is suspect and assumption #2 is bogus. There is no evidence contemporary to Christ's existence of his existence: it all came out in the latter part of the first century in writings from the likes of Josephus and Tacitus a significant time after Jesus's supposed death. The Gospels themselves are complete hearsay which wouldn't hold water as evidence in a court of law. If you now claim that assumption #1 is false despite all the evidence to the contrary (e.g. weathering of the Grand Canyon, fossils confirming evolution and evolutionary time scales) then you really are beyond help as nothing can be done to mitigate such obtuse stupidity. [snip] /Flibble
On 22/08/17 22:23, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On 22/08/2017 17:17, Rick C. Hodgin wrote: > [snip] >> eclipse in the band of totality. It's an experience you'll never >> forget, and it is deeply moving on so many levels (its raw beauty, >> the sense of awe it inspires, and there are emotional and spiritual >> components as you look up and see this massive thing in the uni- >> verse where, for a moment, you are able to realize how small you >> truly are, and how big God's creation truly is). > [snip] > But the world is flat according to the Bible yes? Rick, fuck off; until > you stop posting religious shite I am not interested in your > non-religious posts including those about C++. > > /Flibble >
Look, he wrote a pleasant post about an amazing real-world experience - watching the eclipse. I have seen one myself, here in Norway, and the sight is awe-inspiring. It does not matter if you are a dedicated religious believer marvelling at God's creation, an atheist marvelling at the beauty of nature, or anything else - if you are human, you will marvel at a full solar eclipse. The post was off-topic in all the groups posted, but it was a friendly post that does no harm. Even the religious content was negligible. Your ugly, crude, angry and repetitive provocations are /not/ welcome. They are not helpful, they are not enjoyable, they are not informative, they are not intelligent, logical or rational. They do nothing but provoke Rick to post more religious waffle, which nobody wants. They spoil every thread they touch. So please take your own advice, and stick to C++.
On 8/22/2017 7:41 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On 22/08/2017 21:37, Rick C. Hodgin wrote: >> On 8/22/2017 4:23 PM, Mr Flibble wrote: >>> On 22/08/2017 17:17, Rick C. Hodgin wrote: >>> [snip] >>>> eclipse in the band of totality.  It's an experience you'll never >>>> forget, and it is deeply moving on so many levels (its raw beauty, >>>> the sense of awe it inspires, and there are emotional and spiritual >>>> components as you look up and see this massive thing in the uni- >>>> verse where, for a moment, you are able to realize how small you >>>> truly are, and how big God's creation truly is). >>> [snip] >>> But the world is flat according to the Bible yes? >> >> No.  Not even close.  Your ignorance of God, of truth, of the >> true teachings of the Bible (those supplanted in your mind by >> the lies of the devil who presents his twists and falsenesses >> to you as though they are truth), will be your undoing, Leigh. >> >> It is not God who will condemn you.  You will condemn you, >> because you would not hear the truth. > > Everything you say is predicated on your belief that the Bible is true.
Everything I believe is predicated on Jesus Christ being who He says He is, and a portion of who He is is recorded in the Bible. The experience every Christian has personally is that our faith does not resting solely upon the words of Bible, but upon the application of the One described in the Bible given to us in our daily lives. I came to faith because I read in the Bible the truth about God, about sin, about me, about Jesus Christ, but there is more to God than His written word. There is the full application of His presence in our daily lives, and it is there, from withing that relationship He initiates with us and that we enjoy each day, that the reality of His existence in our lives is manifest. We don't hover over a book as our soul source, but we learn over time that the Bible aligns with God's spirit, and God's spirit aligns with the Bible, and that there is also another spirit at work in this world that aligns not with God's spirit or the teachings of the Bible. It is that anti-Christ spirit, the exact opposite of Christ, the one who is leading souls to their destruction, the one who is causing wars and spreading hate and inflicting disease. He is the one Christ defeated at the cross, and it is why today we (mankind) has victory over sin. ----- The message of salvation is given to all of mankind, Leigh. Everyone can be saved by believing in Jesus Christ and asking Him to forgive their sin. But not everybody will be saved. Many will hear the message, reject it, believe it to be that which is false, and never accept His offer of salvation, and will enter into Hellfire for all eternity because of it. God does not force Himself on people. He calls out to every soul and says, "Here am I. With everything I possess I stand before you saying, 'Come, and I will give you eternal life.'" He calls out to every soul in one way or another, but only those who answer His call will be saved. ----- If you can hear His call in your heart, in your inmost core, in the depths of your soul, from that place where you know that you are hearing Him, the still small voice inside when you are at peace, in silence with nothing distracting you, but then in the stillness, when you are seeking the truth and being completely honest with yourself ... if you can hear His call within, then rejoice because it is Him reaching out to save your eternal soul from judgment, to give you new life, to restore you to His eternal Kingdom of love, peace, power, and authority. The message of the cross is given to all who will be saved. It is not intended for other people. He doesn't want to judge us, but He will honor our request. We will either call upon Him to be our Savior, or call upon Him to be our judge. The choice is ours, for He has already done every- thing necessary on both sides. He created Hell to contain all falseness, and He gave us His Son Jesus Christ to make a way out of judgment for just the asking. It's your choice, Leigh. You wanted the power to choose your own fate? Jesus gives you that choice. Make it a good one. Thank you, Rick C. Hodgin
On 8/23/2017 4:44 AM, Rod Pemberton wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 12:17:14 -0400 > "Rick C. Hodgin" <rick.c.hodgin@gmail.com> wrote: > Also, don't look > at God because you'll die by doing so. (Exodus 33:20) Or, is KJV > implying that God murders you for staring at him? ... Hard to tell.
It's because God is Holy, Holy, Holy, and we are fallen in sin. No flesh can look upon God and live because the purity of His holiness would induce judgment and condemnation upon the sin that lives in us. We would be consumed in an instant. Because we are born in sin, raised in sin, live in sin, know the things of this world (which are all in and of sin), we think we have some kind of handle on the state of reality, and that it falls within the realm of that which we know. What the cross teaches us is that there is more, and that we do not yet know the truth, nor do we have that which we need on our own. The cross teaches us that there is more, and that all who will look to the cross will discover this, because God Himself will lead all who do so to the truth Himself, so that it is not distorted, not twisted in some way, but for all who will truly seek the truth, God will ensure personally that they find it. The truth is it's only when Christ takes our sin away that we are able to then stand before God again, and look upon Him, and even then not until we leave this world and receive our new bodies: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+15%3A53-55&version=KJV It's not difficult to understand and know the truth about God. It just requires an honest, truth-seeking heart. There are many teachers around who will give you correct information. There are not many students who are interested in hearing the lessons of Jesus Christ because they are too focused on the sin they enjoy in their life to ever look up, step away, and learn it.
> Isn't it an interesting coincidence that the Sun and KJV God are so > similar? Didn't the Egyptians worship the sun God Ra? ...
They are not similar. There is only one God, though there are many gods: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+8&version=KJV 5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) 6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. We also are God's children. Scripture refers to us as gods: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+10%3A34-38&version=KJV 34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? This future, this restoration to our true state, the one sin fully denies of us here in this world, that is what the enemy of God is trying to keep us from. He wants us to remain in our sin-induced ignorance, to believe this world we live in, these minds we possess, this existence is all there is. He wants us to stay away from God, stay away from the truth, stay away from salvation, so that he can defeat us in his rebellion against God. He wants us dead in his battle, not just here in sin on the Earth, but in eternity in judgment. But Jesus has made a way out from that for all who will hear. He's made a way to restore us to His Kingdom of love, power, and eternity. ----- God calls out to you, Rod, and to all people. He doesn't do it as part of a cocktail joke or a punchline. He doesn't do it as by the mocking of ignorant souls who say that such a call is only for fools and weak people. He calls out to His creation in strength, in honor, in a restoration of all right things. He does so to give us that which we cannot attain on our own. He does so to give us a second chance, to overcome death, Hell, and the grave. He does so to restore us to His Kingdom, and bring us back despite our many runnings in all manner of other directions, toward other interests, pushing Him away, kicking at Him like a spoiled child, demanding that He leave us alone. Despite all of this, He remains faithful to us, a good Father, a good God. There was a skit written and performed at Winterfest in Knoxville Tennessee in 2006 that outlines this path. It shows God creating everything, sharing all He has with man, and then sin enters in. Temptations away from God enter in through those evil spirits which tempt men away from God toward other things. We see the downfall of man, the despair from the separation, the confusion. But we then see how God steps in to overcome and defeat that which we could not defeat ourselves. It's such a brilliant skit. I literally have watched it more than 50 times over the years and cannot watch it without crying when I see what God did to restore us. He loves us so much that despite our mass and personal rebellions against Him, yet did He make a way out for all who would yet believe and repent of their sinful ways: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA ----- Eternity and eternal life are given to mankind. It comes to us through that which Jesus Christ did on the cross. He made a way out of our sin. He literally saved us from death. Thank you, Rick C. Hodgin
In article <onj9qm$9uc$1@dont-email.me>,
David Brown  <david.brown@hesbynett.no> wrote:
...
>Look, he wrote a pleasant post about an amazing real-world experience -
(etc - no need to repost) Heh heh. Here we have a CLC reg actually defending the undefendable - namely, the egregious Ricky-from-Indiana nutcase. It's the Trump effect. People (and I use the term loosly here) like Trump and Ricky just keep hammering away with their nonsense - bringing down the level of discourse so that we come to accept whatever they do as (almost) normal. We (and by "we", I mean us as CLC readers/posters and, in the larger sense, the US media) end up looking desperately for something to praise - something that's not quite as awful as the rest of it. And thus every time the Orange One fails to poop his pants on national TV, the media starts gushing about how "Presidential" he is. And whenever Rick manages to post something here that isn't completely stupid, we all want, instinctively, to say "Well done, sir!". It is human nature to want to find something to praise - something that validates the BS we were all taught growing up watching Sesame Street - the idea that there is good in everyone. -- The book "1984" used to be a cautionary tale; Now it is a "how-to" manual.
On 8/23/2017 6:25 AM, Kenny McCormack wrote:
> It is human nature to want to find something to praise...
It is a natural part of us from within, because God put that natural draw within us. What He teaches us though is that there is the voice of truth, and the voice of falseness. The voice of truth only speaks with one voice, but the voice of falseness has an array to choose from. We know this from our natural thinking: "How old are you?" If you're like my 13-year old son and a 15-year old were to answer "15," he'd say, "No you're not. You're not exactly 15. You're 15 and some number of months, days, hours..." But all things being equal if you're 15 there's one correct answer: 15. To answer 14, or 16, or 12, or 20 ... they are all false answers. The truth speaks with one voice always. It only speaks of itself, and it is always triumphant over every falsehood when things are pressed into and examined. The truth is the foundation God used to construct His entire universe, and nothing false or embracing falseness will survive this world. ----- God's promise to us is this: Seek the truth and you will find it. That's His promise because He is truth, and He knows all who are His own by volition, by seeking, by the right He gives them to pursue Him in seeking the truth. It's also why you've never found it, Kenny. You're not looking for it. You're trying to defend your pre-existing belief against the truth, trying to force the things that be into the moulds you've constructed. You, like many many others, have preformed moulds that you're sure are right. Anything that is therefore also right must fit into those moulds. You are unwilling to consider the idea that your moulds are your own construction, and they're not truly right. You are unwilling to put down your moulds and go and look into other things and see where the real truth is, even the one that doesn't look like a shape your moulds would produce. If you ever put down that mould set, and then begin that journey ... on that very day you will find it, because all it requires is the tiniest inkling of a real pursuit of truth, and then it is found because the truth comes running for you, and He prepares you for the banquet feast made in your honor: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+15%3A20-24 ----- Kenny, God loves you. He wants you to be a part of His eternal Kingdom in the paradise of Heaven. It's why He went through all He did on Earth, and why He endures all the ridicule and scorn today, and why He calls on us who already believe to endure the same types of ridicule and scorn for His name ... because the soul that is saved is most valuable, precious and dear in His sight. It's why He came to the Earth as a suffering Savior ... to literally save that which was lost. To save sinners like you and me. Thank you, Rick C. Hodgin
	... Heard on a Russian TV channel, in the conclusion of a news
	report regarding the (then-forthcoming) event:

    In Russia, the eclipse can be observed in Chukotka, Alaska, and some
    of the Arctic Ocean islands.

	Left me quite wondering...

-- 
FSF associate member #7257  58F8 0F47 53F5 2EB2 F6A5  8916 3013 B6A0 230E 334A