Programming flash connected to CPLD via JTAG

Started by woko November 25, 2004
Hello!

I want to revitalise a question at was asked in 2001, because I hope
something changed during the time.

How can a AT49LV001 flash by programmed through a XC9536XL CPLD and
its JTAG-connector with really low cost?

All address, data and control pins are connected to the CPLD, so ISP
via JTAG should be possible.I'm sure there are lots of tools available
at this time for programming, but still I don't want to pay >10k USD.

Does anyone know if it's possible to program at flash with JAMPLAYER
sw from altera? How much effort would it be to implement flash
algorithms?

regards,

Wolfgang
"woko" <wkopp@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Hello! > > I want to revitalise a question at was asked in 2001, because I hope > something changed during the time. > > How can a AT49LV001 flash by programmed through a XC9536XL CPLD and > its JTAG-connector with really low cost? > > All address, data and control pins are connected to the CPLD, so ISP > via JTAG should be possible.I'm sure there are lots of tools available > at this time for programming, but still I don't want to pay >10k USD. > > Does anyone know if it's possible to program at flash with JAMPLAYER > sw from altera? How much effort would it be to implement flash > algorithms?
how much would you be ready to pay? there is/was some example JAM application from some russian site, not sure if the site is online any more. it contained some flash functions. I have not tested them though. writing an JAM app is one choice, doing it from scratch isnt very complicated either. I have an Win32 application that programs an AMD flash that is connected to 2 different PLDs and part of the pins to Altera PLD that is not in jtag chain, so in order to program the flash I load the altera fpga (simple 1 wire from pld to flash bridge) then use JTAG scan to program the flash. the application is in Delphi6, source code could relativly easy to adopted for board. Antti
wkopp@gmx.net (woko) writes:

> How can a AT49LV001 flash by programmed through a XC9536XL CPLD and > its JTAG-connector with really low cost?
What would you consider low cost for a product like this? It's not very difficult to do if you have some programming experience. You have to know the position of the pld in the jtag chain, you have to parse the bsdl file for the cpld, you need to know which pins are connected to the flash (possibly parse the edif netlist for the board or make a separate description) and then generate patterns which will control the pins connected to the flash to generate write commands with the data you want to write. Petter -- A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
http://www.universalscan.com

"woko" <wkopp@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Hello! > > I want to revitalise a question at was asked in 2001, because I hope > something changed during the time. > > How can a AT49LV001 flash by programmed through a XC9536XL CPLD and > its JTAG-connector with really low cost? > > All address, data and control pins are connected to the CPLD, so ISP > via JTAG should be possible.I'm sure there are lots of tools available > at this time for programming, but still I don't want to pay >10k USD. > > Does anyone know if it's possible to program at flash with JAMPLAYER > sw from altera? How much effort would it be to implement flash > algorithms? > > regards, > > Wolfgang
> http://www.universalscan.com >
Thanks for your input. It seems that the trial version of universalscan supports flashprogramming and hopefully my AM29F010 too! That would be the easyest solution, the price seens to be fair if it keeps the promises. Wolfgang
woko wrote:
> Hello! > > I want to revitalise a question at was asked in 2001, because I hope > something changed during the time. > > How can a AT49LV001 flash by programmed through a XC9536XL CPLD and > its JTAG-connector with really low cost? > > All address, data and control pins are connected to the CPLD, so ISP > via JTAG should be possible.I'm sure there are lots of tools available > at this time for programming, but still I don't want to pay >10k USD. > > Does anyone know if it's possible to program at flash with JAMPLAYER > sw from altera? How much effort would it be to implement flash > algorithms? > > regards, > > Wolfgang
www.universalscan.com for boundary scan software www.amontec.com for jtag download cables and you are ready to go! Laurent
We're using Intellitech which was recommended by broadcom datasheet for
FLASH programming with their chip.  It was only US$875.00 and has
models for most FLASH devices.  I looked and the AM29F010 is in the
Intellitech library.
http://www.intellitech.com/products/eclipseboundaryscanflash.asp.   I
ordered it online.

Regards,