Virtex2 I/O standards

Started by gja December 15, 2004
For Virtex II parts, I see that the Vih and Vil levels are the same for
LVTTL and LVCMOS33, my question is are the input structures really different
or are they the same for the two standards.  Also, are the output structures
for LVTTL the same as LVCMOS33, since both Vol are the same, and LVTTL Voh
is a subset of LVCMOS33 Voh.

gja,

All single ended non reference voltage standards use the same schmidt
trigger single ended input circuit.

All single ended reference voltage standards use the same differential
comparator which has one input tied to Vref.

All differential input standards use the same differential comparator
(different that the single ended Vref one above).

These three input circuits are selected by the type of standard chosen,
and are designed to operate over the range of the Vcco voltages used,
and designed to meet all input standards stated.

The actual specifications obviously exceed (are better than) what is
required by a standard, as the circuits have to do all of the jobs, over
all process, voltage, and temperature corners.

The published specifications are those of the standards, as publishing
anything else would confuse those who don't understand how to interpret
the specifications (like some purchasing agents or component engineers
who mindlessly compare us to our competition).

Austin

gja wrote:

> For Virtex II parts, I see that the Vih and Vil levels are the same for > LVTTL and LVCMOS33, my question is are the input structures really different > or are they the same for the two standards. Also, are the output structures > for LVTTL the same as LVCMOS33, since both Vol are the same, and LVTTL Voh > is a subset of LVCMOS33 Voh. > >
Austin, thank you very much for your response. You may have addressed it,
but it was not clear to me, what about the output structures that were the
second part of my question? Are LVTTL output structures the same as LVCMOS33
?

"Austin Lesea" <austin@xilinx.com> wrote in message
> gja, > > All single ended non reference voltage standards use the same schmidt > trigger single ended input circuit. > > All single ended reference voltage standards use the same differential > comparator which has one input tied to Vref. > > All differential input standards use the same differential comparator > (different that the single ended Vref one above). > > These three input circuits are selected by the type of standard chosen, > and are designed to operate over the range of the Vcco voltages used, > and designed to meet all input standards stated. > > The actual specifications obviously exceed (are better than) what is > required by a standard, as the circuits have to do all of the jobs, over > all process, voltage, and temperature corners. > > The published specifications are those of the standards, as publishing > anything else would confuse those who don't understand how to interpret > the specifications (like some purchasing agents or component engineers > who mindlessly compare us to our competition). > > Austin > > gja wrote: > > > For Virtex II parts, I see that the Vih and Vil levels are the same for > > LVTTL and LVCMOS33, my question is are the input structures really
different
> > or are they the same for the two standards. Also, are the output
structures
> > for LVTTL the same as LVCMOS33, since both Vol are the same, and LVTTL
Voh
> > is a subset of LVCMOS33 Voh. > > > >
gja,

Sorry.  Hit 'enter' too soon.

Yes, the output structures are all identical:  just select the number of
pull down nmos devices, and the number of pull up pmos devices required
for a given interface standard.

Austin