SATA and RocketIO

Started by sg February 7, 2005
Has anyone had any sucess in using RocketIO from Virtez 2 or Virtex 4
for Serial ATA applications? From the information collected on various
news groups and web sites, my understanding is SATA OOB cannot be done
using RocketIO in Virtex 2s. Did any one try Virtex 4s?

What is the comment from FPGA gurus out there?

- sg

it can be done with v2pro, there are some tricks though

I have tested this as a working solution with real sata chips on memec VP20 board, sata cable to SMA and OOB sequence all passed ok

Antti
Hi Antti,

Can you share those tricks with the group?

-sg

"sg" <sgodey@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi Antti, > > Can you share those tricks with the group?
I think I have done that sooome time ago, but I had to reformat the HD on openchip server so the files are not accessible. basically there are 2 possibilities 1) small external circuitry, requires 1 regular IO pin from FPGA this is Xilinx solution, please contact Xilinx for details. 2) my solution, OK to use for development at least, no external hardware, tested with real V2Pro and real SATA chip so my trick is that use 2 MGT RX from one and TX from the other. and using POWERDOWN to turn of the transmitter as the powerdon on-off delay are not equal the SATA OOB transmit timing has the pre-adjusted to get the required chirp timing in the output stream. In the receive section there a specially developed for MGT squelch detector, thats a bit magic too as the MGT receiver when not seing proper inpout (eg during SATA OOB) has weird repeat noise pattern (repeating over 4 bits) this has to cancelled in order to properly and reliably detect the incomign OOB detailed enough? Antti
Antti,
      I am interested in your solution to the problem of using SATA on
V2Pro. I still don't understand how the receive takes place. Did you
use an external ckt to detect the OOB ? If not, how did you achieve
the cancellation of the repeated noise patterns ?
      It would be great help if you could share the files on the
openchip server again.
      Thanks
      Ajith

"Ajith" <ajith.cj@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Antti, > I am interested in your solution to the problem of using SATA on > V2Pro. I still don't understand how the receive takes place. Did you > use an external ckt to detect the OOB ? If not, how did you achieve > the cancellation of the repeated noise patterns ?
OOB detect is sure possible without external circuitry basically COMMADETECT should assert on the chirps but we did see actual capture of OOB chirps where the COMMADETECT was not always asserted , the digital squelch solution was still working its the basic problem of detecting silence (eg open input of MGT) from non silence. open MGT input is not silence and not constant on the MGT RXDATA pins ! so some decision logic is required our work was internal was proof of concept mostly, succesful though to show that the MGT OOB is doable and does work with real SATA silicon
> It would be great help if you could share the files on the > openchip server again.
those files have actually never been publicly available, published was only chipscope capture around the OOB sequence, Antti