PicoBlaze JTAG Program Loader problems

Started by Elektro April 8, 2005
Hello

I�m trying to use the PicoBlaze JTAG Program Loader supplied with the
PicoBlaze package to download a new ROM contents. But I don�t seem to get
the new ROM down to my FPGA.

Do any of you have some advise?

Thanks

where are you stuck?
did you rename the jtag_loader_rom_form.vhd into rom_form.vhd and copied
into the assembler dir?
you should then get special rom file that includes BSCAN, if you now build
the Picoblaze system
and download that to the FPGA then the ROM should be accessible over JTAG
using the supplied
tools. I think the version as shipped doesnt work on V4 but I guess you
should have got synthesis
error if you are targetting V4

or did you have problem converting the hex into XSVF?
or did you have errors during XSVF file execution?

Antti
http://gforge.openchip.org

"Elektro" <blabla@bredband.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hello > > I'm trying to use the PicoBlaze JTAG Program Loader supplied with the > PicoBlaze package to download a new ROM contents. But I don't seem to get > the new ROM down to my FPGA. > > Do any of you have some advise? > Thanks >
Hello

Yes, I used the "JTAG_Loader_ROM_form.vhd" file and made the changes to
include a reset signal.

But I think I maybe know what I made wrong.

After I ran the JTAG bat-file I pressed the reset button on the Spartan 3
Evaluation Board, and by doing that the FLASH memory contents was again
loaded into the FPGA (fith the original PicoBlaze ROM).  :-/

I can't confirm this until Monday, but does it seem likely?

And what should I answer when the JTAG_loader.bat ask:

    "How many JTAG devices are before the PicoBlaze FPGA in your chain ? >"

Should I answer 1 because in the iMPACT-tool the FPGA is the first device
and the second device is the FLASH-memory?

And when it asks:

    "How many JTAG devices are after the PicoBlaze FPGA in your chain ? >"

Should I answer 1 because there is one devide after the FPGA in the JTAG
chain?

> Hello > > > > Yes, I used the "JTAG_Loader_ROM_form.vhd" file and made the changes to > include a reset signal. > > But I think I maybe know what I made wrong. > > After I ran the JTAG bat-file I pressed the reset button on the Spartan 3 > Evaluation Board, and by doing that the FLASH memory contents was again > loaded into the FPGA (fith the original PicoBlaze ROM). :-/
you must load the design with jtag_rom befroe running the .bat file and sure dont reconfig after that but be aware that the .bat file that downloads the picoblaze does not error checking at all, it reports all ok also when no FPGA is attached, so you must be sure that the xsvfplayer really can connect to the cable, etc
> > I can't confirm this until Monday, but does it seem likely? > And what should I answer when the JTAG_loader.bat ask: > > "How many JTAG devices are before the PicoBlaze FPGA in your chain ? >" > > Should I answer 1 because in the iMPACT-tool the FPGA is the first device > and the second device is the FLASH-memory?
0, if FPGA is first
> And when it asks: > > "How many JTAG devices are after the PicoBlaze FPGA in your chain ? >" > > Should I answer 1 because there is one devide after the FPGA in the JTAG > chain?
yes, 1
> > "Antti Lukats" <antti@openchip.org> skrev i meddelandet > news:d36dnk$p2o$00$1@news.t-online.com... > > where are you stuck? > > did you rename the jtag_loader_rom_form.vhd into rom_form.vhd and copied > > into the assembler dir? > > you should then get special rom file that includes BSCAN, if you now
build
> > the Picoblaze system > > and download that to the FPGA then the ROM should be accessible over
JTAG
> > using the supplied > > tools. I think the version as shipped doesnt work on V4 but I guess you > > should have got synthesis > > error if you are targetting V4 > > > > or did you have problem converting the hex into XSVF? > > or did you have errors during XSVF file execution? > > > > Antti > > http://gforge.openchip.org > > > > > > "Elektro" <blabla@bredband.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag > > news:4256b12d$0$43988$14726298@news.sunsite.dk... > > > Hello > > > > > > I'm trying to use the PicoBlaze JTAG Program Loader supplied with the > > > PicoBlaze package to download a new ROM contents. But I don't seem to > get > > > the new ROM down to my FPGA. > > > > > > Do any of you have some advise? > > > Thanks > > > > > > > > > > >
Hello

> > "How many JTAG devices are before the PicoBlaze FPGA in your chain ? > >" > > > > Should I answer 1 because in the iMPACT-tool the FPGA is the first
device
> > and the second device is the FLASH-memory? > > 0, if FPGA is first
It should have said 0, I just thought wrong here at home :-) Thank you for your advice.