Xilinx tools on Linux

Started by David April 16, 2005

There are ISE Foundation and ISE Webpack versions for Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 3.0  How strict is this port?  Has anybody managed to run these
tools on Fedora or Mandrake Linux (now Mandriva), or any other Linux
variant?  If so, how well did it work?

In article <zG28e.2191$J12.2162@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
 David <dmsbox2000-news1@yahoo.com> writes:
|> There are ISE Foundation and ISE Webpack versions for Red Hat Enterprise
|> Linux 3.0  How strict is this port?  Has anybody managed to run these
|> tools on Fedora or Mandrake Linux (now Mandriva), or any other Linux
|> variant?  If so, how well did it work?

Debian and SuSE work nicely. Just the usual environment variable hassles.

Rainer

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 06:56:31 +0000, David wrote:

> > > There are ISE Foundation and ISE Webpack versions for Red Hat Enterprise > Linux 3.0 How strict is this port? Has anybody managed to run these > tools on Fedora or Mandrake Linux (now Mandriva), or any other Linux > variant? If so, how well did it work?
They run fine on Fedora Core 3 once you have them installed. The only problem is the installer which is looking for an older version of the libcurl library. You can do a soft link between the version in FC3 and the required version. ln -s /usr/lib/libcurl.so.3.0.0 /usr/local/lib/libcurl.so.2 If that doesn't work for you then the other alternative is to use RHEL3 or a clone, I used Whitebox Linux, to do the install and then you can rsync the directories to your other machines.
David  <dmsbox2000-news1@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >There are ISE Foundation and ISE Webpack versions for Red Hat Enterprise >Linux 3.0 How strict is this port? Has anybody managed to run these >tools on Fedora or Mandrake Linux (now Mandriva), or any other Linux >variant? If so, how well did it work? >
I've managed to get it running on Mandrake (I think Ihave 10.0). I had to install an openmotif package to get libXm.so.3. At the end of the long install I got some popup box message that said something about not being able to run an install drivers script of some sort - I suspect that means I won't be able to run IMPACT. Also, you need to do: export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.7 export DISPLAY=:0 before you run the installer (and before you start any of the Xilinx tools). At the end after I got it all installed I tried running 'ise' and it took several _minutes_ for it to actually appear on my screen - What's up with that? Phil
In article <d3rmal1tvd@enews3.newsguy.com>,
Phil Tomson <ptkwt@aracnet.com> wrote:
>In article <zG28e.2191$J12.2162@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>, >David <dmsbox2000-news1@yahoo.com> wrote: >> >> >>There are ISE Foundation and ISE Webpack versions for Red Hat Enterprise >>Linux 3.0 How strict is this port? Has anybody managed to run these >>tools on Fedora or Mandrake Linux (now Mandriva), or any other Linux >>variant? If so, how well did it work? >> > >I've managed to get it running on Mandrake (I think Ihave 10.0). I had to >install an openmotif package to get libXm.so.3. At the end of the long >install I got some popup box message that said something about not being >able to run an install drivers script of some sort - I suspect that means >I won't be able to run IMPACT. > >Also, you need to do: > >export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.7 >export DISPLAY=:0 > >before you run the installer (and before you start any of the Xilinx >tools). > >At the end after I got it all installed I tried running 'ise' and it took >several _minutes_ for it to actually appear on my screen - What's up with >that? >
Well, it turns out the the ISE GUI is unusable for me - it takes up to several minutes to respond to mouse clicks. However, I'd actually prefer to be able to script the whole thing. I know that a while back someone posted a link to a webpage that showed how to run the Xilinx tools from the command line but now I can't find it even via goodle. Anyone got the link? PHil
On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 19:37:07 +0000, Phil Tomson wrote:

> In article <d3rmal1tvd@enews3.newsguy.com>, > Phil Tomson <ptkwt@aracnet.com> wrote: >>In article <zG28e.2191$J12.2162@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>, >>David <dmsbox2000-news1@yahoo.com> wrote: >>> >>> >>>There are ISE Foundation and ISE Webpack versions for Red Hat Enterprise >>>Linux 3.0 How strict is this port? Has anybody managed to run these >>>tools on Fedora or Mandrake Linux (now Mandriva), or any other Linux >>>variant? If so, how well did it work? >>> >> >>I've managed to get it running on Mandrake (I think Ihave 10.0). I had to >>install an openmotif package to get libXm.so.3. At the end of the long >>install I got some popup box message that said something about not being >>able to run an install drivers script of some sort - I suspect that means >>I won't be able to run IMPACT. >> >>Also, you need to do: >> >>export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.7 >>export DISPLAY=:0 >> >>before you run the installer (and before you start any of the Xilinx >>tools). >> >>At the end after I got it all installed I tried running 'ise' and it took >>several _minutes_ for it to actually appear on my screen - What's up with >>that? >> > > > Well, it turns out the the ISE GUI is unusable for me - it takes up to > several minutes to respond to mouse clicks. > > However, I'd actually prefer to be able to script the whole thing. I know > that a while back someone posted a link to a webpage that showed how to > run the Xilinx tools from the command line but now I can't find it even > via goodle. > Anyone got the link? > > PHil
To get the command line options do -h for each command xst -h ngdbuild -h virtex4 map -h virtex4 par -h virtex4 trce -h bitgen -h
> > However, I'd actually prefer to be able to script the whole thing. I know > that a while back someone posted a link to a webpage that showed how to > run the Xilinx tools from the command line but now I can't find it even > via goodle.
I don't know about the link, but here are a few commands that should do most of jobs that ISE GUI does: ngdbuild : Translate on GUI map: Map par: Place & Route trce: Timing Analysis bitgen: Generate Programming File ISE GUI keeps a command log (.cmd_log) file in the working directory. It may be helpful sometimes. HTH, Jim jimwu88NOOOSPAM@yahoo.com (remove capital letters) http://www.geocities.com/jimwu88/chips

Loo at the <projectname>.cmd_log file after a successfull run of the GUI. You see all commands executed. -- Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------

Look at the <projectname>.cmd_log file after a successfull run of the GUI. You see all commands executed. -- Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------
David wrote:
> There are ISE Foundation and ISE Webpack versions for Red Hat Enterprise > Linux 3.0 How strict is this port? Has anybody managed to run these > tools on Fedora or Mandrake Linux (now Mandriva), or any other Linux > variant? If so, how well did it work?
I have it working on Debian Unstable (sid), with no more than the usual environment hassles, after getting the right packages installed (none from outside of main+contrib+non-free: libcurl, libmotif3, etc). Either on this machine or on the Fedora Core 3 machine I tried, the installer would recoginize each mouse click twice or not at all, depending on the widget. So, I used keyboard shortcuts (tab, enter) and got through it that way. For the most part seems to operate properly, but I'm in the early hobbiest stage, so have no way of knowing how screwed it might get deeper into "normal" usage.