Xilinx tools on Linux

Started by David April 16, 2005
Uwe Bonnes <bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> writes:
> They should talk to Codeweavers. I guess for the money Xilinx spends > on WindU, they could have Codeweavers weed out a lot of Problems in > Wine (and perhaps some in the Xilinx code) so that ISE would run > flawless in Wine. No more need for a WindU license and a single source > tree...
But running ISE in Wine is about 10x slower than running the Linux version with Wind/U. It's actually slower than running the Windows version under VMware, which surprised me. Apparently the Wind/U royalties aren't that big a problem, since they're giving out Webpack for Linux now. I'd much rather have Wind/U than use Wine (either normally or with Wine code linked into ISE). Eric
In article <d412dg$2kr$1@lnx107.hrz.tu-darmstadt.de>,
Uwe Bonnes  <bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
>Phil Tomson <ptkwt@aracnet.com> wrote: > >> Isn't it interesting how fast some Xilinx guys (FAEs?) jumped on the >> other thread about Spartan 3E being slower than Spartan 3, but we've >> heard nary a peep out of them about this thread? > >No theory of conspiration, please,
No conspiracy theories here...
> >Those guys (always helpfull and responsive) come from different areas then >the guys responsible for programming...
Ah, makes sense. I do hope Xilinx is listening. It would be great to have a native Linux ISE 7.x in the future that works well on the platform and we're just trying to help them get there. Phil
In article <qhis2j7smz.fsf@ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
Eric Smith  <eric@brouhaha.com> wrote:
>Uwe Bonnes <bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> writes: >> They should talk to Codeweavers. I guess for the money Xilinx spends >> on WindU, they could have Codeweavers weed out a lot of Problems in >> Wine (and perhaps some in the Xilinx code) so that ISE would run >> flawless in Wine. No more need for a WindU license and a single source >> tree... > >But running ISE in Wine is about 10x slower than running the Linux version >with Wind/U. It's actually slower than running the Windows version under >VMware, which surprised me.
I haven't tried it under Wine yet. However, I can tell you that the WindU version is unusable for me as it takes several _minutes_ to start up and then it takes minutes to respond to mouse clicks on various GUI elements. I have no idea why it would be that slow - it seems rather strange. I am not running anything like seti, either. My machine is a bit dated (800MHz Duron) but it shouldn't be _that_ bad. I suspect that running the windows version under Wine should be faster.
> >Apparently the Wind/U royalties aren't that big a problem, since they're >giving out Webpack for Linux now. I'd much rather have Wind/U than use >Wine (either normally or with Wine code linked into ISE).
But wasn't there some indication that they were moving to a native toolkit? Phil
Eric Smith <eric@brouhaha.com> wrote:
> Uwe Bonnes <bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> writes: > > They should talk to Codeweavers. I guess for the money Xilinx spends > > on WindU, they could have Codeweavers weed out a lot of Problems in > > Wine (and perhaps some in the Xilinx code) so that ISE would run > > flawless in Wine. No more need for a WindU license and a single source > > tree...
> But running ISE in Wine is about 10x slower than running the Linux version > with Wind/U. It's actually slower than running the Windows version under > VMware, which surprised me.
You probably run a kernel before 2.6.10. A fix for the communication between the GUI and the worker programms was introduced with 2.6.10.
And Wind/U is the only X Program that doesn't like my DISPLAY variable ":0.0" and insists on ":0"... -- Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------
Phil Tomson <ptkwt@aracnet.com> wrote:

> I haven't tried it under Wine yet. However, I can tell you that the > WindU version is unusable for me as it takes several _minutes_ to start > up and then it takes minutes to respond to mouse clicks on various GUI > elements. I have no idea why it would be that slow - it seems rather > strange. I am not running anything like seti, either. My machine is a > bit dated (800MHz Duron) but it shouldn't be _that_ bad. I suspect that > running the windows version under Wine should be faster.
Probably there is someting wrong with your setup. One minute seems much too long.
There were rumors about a QT port and some people (like me) spread them. No Xilinx insider objected however.... -- Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------
AFAIK, all that anyone from Xilinx has said is that they are "moving away from a GUI toolkit that is encumbered with a per-seat license fee." (Neil Glenn Jacobson, on 18-Aug-2004): http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.arch.fpga/msg/2d2521a183d89fea That statement can be interpreted several ways. Not necessarily as a "native" toolkit, though that would seem to make sense. Possibly they are moving to a different toolkit, but haven't yet released a version with the new toolkit, and decided to pay the royalties on Linux Webpack downloads until that release. Or possibly they've negotiated a new license for Wind/U that lets them offer WebPack with a reduced (or zero) royalty, which is in the vendor's interest since they will keep getting royalties on ISE. Note that Qt still would have per-seat license fees, so I don't think it's even in the running. There's a GPL license for Qt as well, but Xilinx presumably doesn't want to GPL their tools.
> No Xilinx insider objected however....
But surely you don't expect to preannounce such things? Eric
Uwe Bonnes <bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> writes:
> And Wind/U is the only X Program that doesn't like my DISPLAY variable > ":0.0" and insists on ":0"...
That's silly, but it doesn't seem like a big problem in practice. I have a simple wrapper script I use for invoking all the Xilinx tools, which sets up environment variables and such. It just sets DISPLAY to :0, and everything works fine. Eric
Uwe Bonnes wrote:
> Eric Smith <eric@brouhaha.com> wrote: > > >>But running ISE in Wine is about 10x slower than running the Linux version >>with Wind/U. It's actually slower than running the Windows version under >>VMware, which surprised me. > > > You probably run a kernel before 2.6.10. A fix for the communication between > the GUI and the worker programms was introduced with 2.6.10. >
And the other thing to make sure of is that you are using a Windows native version of msvcrt.dll. That can make a dramatic difference on ISE.
Rudolf Usselmann wrote:
> > yes, it is possible to replace the GUI with a script. At least > for ISE. I have not been able to figure out hot to do the same > for EDK (yet). >
Assuming you are on Linux... (though presumably this should also work on Windows) The EDK project is run by a makefile, named system.make. So you can can build the project by typing commands like: make -f system.make netlist which builds the bitfile from HDL code, and make -f system.make program which compiles C code and inserts it into the bitfile. Those are about the only two EDK commands I use. I never use the EDK GUI. A list of commands is available with: make -f system.make Actually, I create a symbolic link ln -s system.make makefile which means I don't need to type out the "-f system.make" stuff. Of course, that doesn't get you the project in the first place. In general, I take an existing project that is similar to what I want, copy it over, and start modifying.
In article <d418u5$5c9$1@lnx107.hrz.tu-darmstadt.de>,
Uwe Bonnes  <bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
>Eric Smith <eric@brouhaha.com> wrote: >> Uwe Bonnes <bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> writes: >> > They should talk to Codeweavers. I guess for the money Xilinx spends >> > on WindU, they could have Codeweavers weed out a lot of Problems in >> > Wine (and perhaps some in the Xilinx code) so that ISE would run >> > flawless in Wine. No more need for a WindU license and a single source >> > tree... > >> But running ISE in Wine is about 10x slower than running the Linux version >> with Wind/U. It's actually slower than running the Windows version under >> VMware, which surprised me. > >You probably run a kernel before 2.6.10. A fix for the communication between >the GUI and the worker programms was introduced with 2.6.10.
This is good to know and it seems like a reasonable explanation... Turns out I'm running 2.6.3. I'll try rebooting with my old 2.4.something kernel when I get a chance.
> >> Apparently the Wind/U royalties aren't that big a problem, since they're >> giving out Webpack for Linux now. I'd much rather have Wind/U than use >> Wine (either normally or with Wine code linked into ISE). > >And Wind/U is the only X Program that doesn't like my DISPLAY variable >":0.0" and insists on ":0"...
I think that part was OK in my case. Phil