VIIPro on-chip LVDS termination

Started by Roger May 5, 2005
As I understand it, the VIIPro devices have on-chip differential termination
resistors which can be brought into play by selecting the XXX_LVDS_25_DT
buffers. I've looked at several designs using VIIPro devices from different
manufacturers but they all seem to use external 100R resistors to achieve
LVDS termination. Can anyone tell me why this would be the case please? I
thought the reduction in component count would be very welcome. Is it
because of heat dissipation?

TIA,

Rog.

Roger,

This is likely a case of old habits die hard.  Also since this
wasn't officially supported when Virtex-II Pro was first released
the early the board was created the more likely the external
resistor would be present.

Since the "_DT" is true differential termination, there is no
significant heat dissipation caused by using it.  Unlike, the
previous thevenin equivalent split termination version with a
two 100 ohm loads between 2.5V and GND.

Ed

Roger wrote:
> As I understand it, the VIIPro devices have on-chip differential termination > resistors which can be brought into play by selecting the XXX_LVDS_25_DT > buffers. I've looked at several designs using VIIPro devices from different > manufacturers but they all seem to use external 100R resistors to achieve > LVDS termination. Can anyone tell me why this would be the case please? I > thought the reduction in component count would be very welcome. Is it > because of heat dissipation? > > TIA, > > Rog. > >
Ed,

Thanks again. So do the later Xilinx boards utilise the on-chip termination?

Rog.

"Ed McGettigan" <ed.mcgettigan@xilinx.com> wrote in message
> Roger, > > This is likely a case of old habits die hard. Also since this > wasn't officially supported when Virtex-II Pro was first released > the early the board was created the more likely the external > resistor would be present. > > Since the "_DT" is true differential termination, there is no > significant heat dissipation caused by using it. Unlike, the > previous thevenin equivalent split termination version with a > two 100 ohm loads between 2.5V and GND. > > Ed > > Roger wrote: >> As I understand it, the VIIPro devices have on-chip differential >> termination resistors which can be brought into play by selecting the >> XXX_LVDS_25_DT buffers. I've looked at several designs using VIIPro >> devices from different manufacturers but they all seem to use external >> 100R resistors to achieve LVDS termination. Can anyone tell me why this >> would be the case please? I thought the reduction in component count >> would be very welcome. Is it because of heat dissipation? >> >> TIA, >> >> Rog.
They should, but sometimes a circuit cut-and-paste from a
previous schematic may have left in place or we may have
left the external pads in place for flexibility.  You can
always desolder the external resistor and use the internal
one instead.

I'm fairly certain I had all of the external differential
resistors removed for the Virtex-4 boards (ML40x, ML41x, ML42x)
during the schematic reviews, but we may have simply missed
one or two.

Ed