Xilinx LVDS and SCSI

Started by Lucas June 13, 2005
Hi,
I want to implement  a SCSI Ultra-160 or SCSI Ultra-320 host on a
VirtexII-Pro FPGA.
My goal is to connect the FPGA to an array of SCSI disks.
This is proprietary link so I don't need full adherence to the
specifications.

My questions are:
1- Is Xilinx LVDS I/O compatible to the SCSI LVD standard?
2- Is it possible to implement a LVD Multidrop SCSI bus with a VirtexII-Pro
FPGA?

Thanks!

You can use the Virtex2pro for highspeed LVDS, but extreme care must be
taken with the board layout when operating at those frequencies.
Impedance control of your microstrip LVDS signal must be maintain from
the I/O pins to the output connector.  Most manufacturers will use
external LVDS drivers an receivers because of this critcal routing.  It
is easier to place the external chips near the connector than the FPGA.