Partial Reconfiguration

Started by ram October 15, 2003
Hi all,
 I am interested in doing partial reconfiguration using Xilinx Virtex
2 pro, i am having a HW AFX xilinx prototype baord.
I tried the small bit manipulation method defined in Xilinx
application note
xapp290, with the simple example , Example 1 simple system desing from
xilinx EDK examples web page.
Ok , my desing is this,
  I am using PPC405, and uartlite and gpio with uart continiously
writing some data in Hyper terminal and gpio is connected to four leds
and writing '1' to it
I tried to change the routing for the LEDs , I do have to mention
here, my board has 8 user LEDS, i changed the routing from upper half
to lower half and generated the partial bit stream.
Everything goes well so far, but when i download this partial
bitstream into FPGA, my uart stops putting out data, but LEDS gets
rerouted and now the lower half LEDs o/p '1'.
I would like to know wether what i am trying to do was right, also if
anybody worked on small bit manipulations, I would appreciate their
comments and advice.
Thank you for the posting me a reply.
bye
Ram
ram wrote:

>Hi all, > I am interested in doing partial reconfiguration using Xilinx Virtex >2 pro, i am having a HW AFX xilinx prototype baord. >I tried the small bit manipulation method defined in Xilinx >application note >xapp290, with the simple example , Example 1 simple system desing from >xilinx EDK examples web page. >Ok , my desing is this, > I am using PPC405, and uartlite and gpio with uart continiously >writing some data in Hyper terminal and gpio is connected to four leds >and writing '1' to it >I tried to change the routing for the LEDs , I do have to mention >here, my board has 8 user LEDS, i changed the routing from upper half >to lower half and generated the partial bit stream. >
The configuration frames are columns, so if the routing you are changing is in the same column as the PPC, UART, or any of their routing, they will probably stop. Steve
Steve Lass wrote:
> > ram wrote: > > >Hi all, > > I am interested in doing partial reconfiguration using Xilinx Virtex > >2 pro, i am having a HW AFX xilinx prototype baord. > >I tried the small bit manipulation method defined in Xilinx > >application note > >xapp290, with the simple example , Example 1 simple system desing from > >xilinx EDK examples web page. > >Ok , my desing is this, > > I am using PPC405, and uartlite and gpio with uart continiously > >writing some data in Hyper terminal and gpio is connected to four leds > >and writing '1' to it > >I tried to change the routing for the LEDs , I do have to mention > >here, my board has 8 user LEDS, i changed the routing from upper half > >to lower half and generated the partial bit stream. > > > The configuration frames are columns, so if the routing you are changing > is in the same column > as the PPC, UART, or any of their routing, they will probably stop.
I am looking at using this feature, although not while the chip is running. One problem I foresee is that with a column alignment, a module might be very hard to route if it is restricted to just a small number of columns. In my application there are 5 modules with one being constant and four being changed according to the hardware that is connected. Some of the planned modules are much larger than others, so I don't see them mapping to a fixed footprint. Some may be as narrow as two or even one column in an XC3S400. So I have been thinking about partitioning the designs differently. Instead of mapping modules to columns, I would divide the columns in half and map the designs to half columns. This won't be an issue as long as none of the logic (or interconnect) in the column is being used by running circuitry. But it will require that the bit files be assembled from partial bit files. Each column will need to be made of two halves glued together. As long as there is no routing between them, this should be a simple matter of concatenating two separate streams for each column. Anyone know if this might be practical? -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
Steve,
 I never gave a thought abt that, I think thats the possibility, Thank you
RAm
rickman wrote:

>Steve Lass wrote: > > >>ram wrote: >> >> >> >>>Hi all, >>>I am interested in doing partial reconfiguration using Xilinx Virtex >>>2 pro, i am having a HW AFX xilinx prototype baord. >>>I tried the small bit manipulation method defined in Xilinx >>>application note >>>xapp290, with the simple example , Example 1 simple system desing from >>>xilinx EDK examples web page. >>>Ok , my desing is this, >>> I am using PPC405, and uartlite and gpio with uart continiously >>>writing some data in Hyper terminal and gpio is connected to four leds >>>and writing '1' to it >>>I tried to change the routing for the LEDs , I do have to mention >>>here, my board has 8 user LEDS, i changed the routing from upper half >>>to lower half and generated the partial bit stream. >>> >>> >>> >>The configuration frames are columns, so if the routing you are changing >>is in the same column >>as the PPC, UART, or any of their routing, they will probably stop. >> >> > >I am looking at using this feature, although not while the chip is >running. One problem I foresee is that with a column alignment, a >module might be very hard to route if it is restricted to just a small >number of columns. > >In my application there are 5 modules with one being constant and four >being changed according to the hardware that is connected. Some of the >planned modules are much larger than others, so I don't see them mapping >to a fixed footprint. Some may be as narrow as two or even one column >in an XC3S400. > >So I have been thinking about partitioning the designs differently. >Instead of mapping modules to columns, I would divide the columns in >half and map the designs to half columns. This won't be an issue as >long as none of the logic (or interconnect) in the column is being used >by running circuitry. But it will require that the bit files be >assembled from partial bit files. Each column will need to be made of >two halves glued together. As long as there is no routing between them, >this should be a simple matter of concatenating two separate streams for >each column. > >Anyone know if this might be practical? >
Anything is possible, but I wouldn't call it practical. There are no tools to help out with this type of methodology. I'm not sure how many different combinations you have, but if it's a reaasonable amount, I would suggest creating bistreams for each combination. It seems like you have to do that anyway with your proposal. Steve