Re: Rant mode ON

Started by John July 7, 2003
Hey Rickman,

In article <3F0AE7CC.68F9D9D0@yahoo.com>, spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com
says...
> I need to vent a little steam. So at risk of making myself look stupid > (or more stupid) I will do it here. > > I have been trying to get the Quartus 3.0 software and a license since > last Thursday. I tried three times over the weekend to download it, but > the slow modem link I have to use would not complete the entire transfer > without a problem. I think I have that licked as my brother tells me he > has downloaded it for me.
You might want to look into a *great* utility called "wget". It's probably comes standard on every modern FreeBSD/Linux implementation, but not many people in the Windows world know about it... See this for a command-line vanilla Windows version: http://space.tin.it/computer/hherold/ and see this for a Visual Basic GUI wrap-around: http://www.jensroesner.de/wgetgui/ If you use the plain-vanilla command-line version, just launch like this: wget -c <url> -c tells it to continue if a download is aborted...this way if your modem drops, when you re-connect, just re-issue wget -c <url> and it'll continue where the file was chopped off. Also, as other people have suggested, the path of least resistance really is to get an el-cheapo NIC and stick it in. It's not elegant, it's not "right" but it's the fastest way to get what you want. Thanks! TR.
I need to vent a little steam.  So at risk of making myself look stupid
(or more stupid) I will do it here.

I have been trying to get the Quartus 3.0 software and a license since
last Thursday.  I tried three times over the weekend to download it, but
the slow modem link I have to use would not complete the entire transfer
without a problem.  I think I have that licked as my brother tells me he
has downloaded it for me.

But I have been trying to get a license file that does not require an
Ethernet interface and am getting nowhere.  I have received several
emails from Altera people who say that they support this and I need to
contact my local FAE or the main office.  I have tried to do both.  All
of the FAEs I know are either on vacation or in California at training.
Calling both 800 numbers has gotten me nowhere since I reach people who
are the "first line" and always have to refer it to someone else.  I
have left about half a dozen voice mails, sent easily a dozen emails,
spoken with two types of support and still I have not heard back from
anyone at Altera about this.

Right now I have been holding for about 15 minutes waiting for a third
number to connect me with a person.  I know that if I was this hard to
get ahold of no one would *ever* buy any of my products!

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

Geeze .... I'm glad altera doesn't waste valuable time on your problem
, they have real work to do.  They have standardized on the ethernet
interface, if you have a desktop spend $15 and buy one, if you have a
laptop without one you may have to spend twice that on a USB version
or something.  You must have lots of time and little work.

"rickman" <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> I have been trying to get the Quartus 3.0 software and a license since > last Thursday. I tried three times over the weekend to download it, but > the slow modem link I have to use would not complete the entire transfer > without a problem. I think I have that licked as my brother tells me he > has downloaded it for me.
Get a download manager like Gozilla or something. The can resume a aboarded download. -- Regards Falk
In article <3F0BA49F.2FBCB891@yahoo.com>,
rickman  <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com> wrote:
>If there is an Ethernet card in the machine, I can't assure my customers >that it will not be connected in a forgetful manner.
Why not take the ethernet card and attack the connector with wirecutters? You get a MAC address but the net don't work. :) -- Nicholas C. Weaver nweaver@cs.berkeley.edu
1.
Especially if the problem at hand is that easy to solve, altera should
help them out. If a company reacts like that to simple problems I
would get suspicious what happens if something serious goes wrong.
(BTW.: I had very similar problems with Xilinx in germany.)

2.
I always thought that ethernet based protection is particulary useless
as one can
- install the software inside a virtual machine with any virtual MAC
address one likes
- write a dummy driver that tells the system that a deactivated NIC
with the
MAC address of choice is present in the system.

The only protection mechanism that is even more useless is volume-ID
base protection.

Kolja Sulimma

charleybrant@hotmail.com (CB) wrote in message news:<3f0b2099.10419733@news.compuserve.com>...
> Geeze .... I'm glad altera doesn't waste valuable time on your problem > , they have real work to do. They have standardized on the ethernet > interface, if you have a desktop spend $15 and buy one,
"Nicholas C. Weaver" wrote:
> > In article <3F0BA49F.2FBCB891@yahoo.com>, > rickman <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com> wrote: > >If there is an Ethernet card in the machine, I can't assure my customers > >that it will not be connected in a forgetful manner. > > Why not take the ethernet card and attack the connector with > wirecutters? You get a MAC address but the net don't work. :)
At this point there is no reason. Altera has provided a license file keyed to the HDD SN. I was also told that this will be added to the web site in the near future just as they have for MaxPlusII. -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
John wrote:
> > Hey Rickman, > > In article <3F0AE7CC.68F9D9D0@yahoo.com>, spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com > says... > > I need to vent a little steam. So at risk of making myself look stupid > > (or more stupid) I will do it here. > > > > I have been trying to get the Quartus 3.0 software and a license since > > last Thursday. I tried three times over the weekend to download it, but > > the slow modem link I have to use would not complete the entire transfer > > without a problem. I think I have that licked as my brother tells me he > > has downloaded it for me. > > You might want to look into a *great* utility called "wget". > > It's probably comes standard on every modern FreeBSD/Linux > implementation, but not many people in the Windows world know about > it... > > See this for a command-line vanilla Windows version: > > http://space.tin.it/computer/hherold/ > > and see this for a Visual Basic GUI wrap-around: > > http://www.jensroesner.de/wgetgui/ > > If you use the plain-vanilla command-line version, just launch like > this: > > wget -c <url> > > -c tells it to continue if a download is aborted...this way if your > modem drops, when you re-connect, just re-issue wget -c <url> and it'll > continue where the file was chopped off.
Yes, I very much should use a program like that. In the past I have preferred not to add more and more utilities to do a job. Often it can cause problems which are hard to pinpoint. But I think this is one case where it is well worth the effort. -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
Falk Brunner wrote:
> > "rickman" <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag > news:3F0AE7CC.68F9D9D0@yahoo.com... > > > I have been trying to get the Quartus 3.0 software and a license since > > last Thursday. I tried three times over the weekend to download it, but > > the slow modem link I have to use would not complete the entire transfer > > without a problem. I think I have that licked as my brother tells me he > > has downloaded it for me. > > Get a download manager like Gozilla or something. The can resume a aboarded > download.
My concern is that once installed, I will have no way to control it if I don't want to use it for some files. I remember Netscape adding something like this (or I added some download, I can't remember which). There were times I did not want it to pop up and could not find a way to turn it off. It also showed ads while running. Anyone know of a review of download utilities that would help me pick one? -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
I've tried two or three and now use Download Accelerator Plus. Leon -- Leon Heller, G1HSM leon_heller@hotmail.com http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller