Xilinx 7.1 ISE ModelSim input files

Started by Brad Smallridge January 10, 2006
I haven't been able to use my old testbenches with the new
ISE simulator.  I get an error saying that the input file was
not generated by ISE.  True, I used Paint to generate BMP
files, and then I use to use ModelSim to simulate the results
and output to another BMP file.

I put in a case to Xilinx about this and the engineer told me
how to switch the ISE simulation to ModelSim, but said
that the "future" was with the ISE simulator.

This raises some questions:  Will ModelSim be distributed
free with the webpack?  Is there any way to open an
input file in the new ISE simulator? And if not, will there
ever?

Brad Smallridge
brad at  aivision.com

some of the code:

 type     char_file is file of character;  -- one byte each
 file     my_file    : char_file;
 file     my_file2   : char_file;
 constant file_name  : string := "infile.bmp";
 constant file_name2 : string := "outfile.bmp";

begin

 file_open(my_file, file_name, read_mode);
 file_open(my_file2, file_name2, write_mode);

Brad Smallridge wrote:
> I haven't been able to use my old testbenches with the new > ISE simulator. I get an error saying that the input file was > not generated by ISE. True, I used Paint to generate BMP > files, and then I use to use ModelSim to simulate the results > and output to another BMP file. > > I put in a case to Xilinx about this and the engineer told me > how to switch the ISE simulation to ModelSim, but said > that the "future" was with the ISE simulator.
I hadn't even realized that there WAS an ISE simulator!
ModelSim XE III is a download (http://www.xilinx.com/ise/optional_prod/mxe.htm) that's separate from both WebPack and ISE, although the current version is included in the ISE distibution. I never run ModelSim from within the Xilinx tools, and I never allow the Xilinx tools to create a test bench.
> Is there any way to open an > input file in the new ISE simulator? And if not, will there > ever?
dunno. -a
"Brad Smallridge" <bradsmallridge@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
>I haven't been able to use my old testbenches with the new > ISE simulator. I get an error saying that the input file was > not generated by ISE. True, I used Paint to generate BMP > files, and then I use to use ModelSim to simulate the results > and output to another BMP file. > > I put in a case to Xilinx about this and the engineer told me > how to switch the ISE simulation to ModelSim, but said > that the "future" was with the ISE simulator.
I thought it was the other way, instead... Any opinions about it? JaaC