programming devices using other tools

Started by antonio bergnoli January 16, 2006
Hi,
I want to know if anybody has never programmed fpga or proms not using
Impact or Quartus programmer but other (third party) tools. If yes, how
? which are the file formats to use?
Thanks in advance.
"antonio bergnoli" <bergnoli@pd.infn.it> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi, > I want to know if anybody has never programmed fpga or proms not using > Impact or Quartus programmer but other (third party) tools. If yes, how ? > which are the file formats to use? > Thanks in advance.
lots of people do that. most of the info is available, sometimes it needed to reverse engineer SVF or BSDL files to complement the public information there are different formats that can be used depending on device targetted -- Antti Lukats http://www.xilant.com
For PROMs I generally make Intel Hex files (.mcs) although the
programmer
we use from BP can take many different file formats.  I only use this
for
programming parts off-board.  For in-system programming you generally
need a file format that works with your embedded software.  For Xilinx
bitstreams
I generally prepare a "Hex" format file which is just a stream of hex
characters
with no header or other information (just the bits, ma'am).  This I
usually convert
to a binary file for use by the embedded system (to reduce file size.

Antti Lukats wrote:
> "antonio bergnoli" <bergnoli@pd.infn.it> schrieb im Newsbeitrag > news:43cb5fd1$2_2@x-privat.org... > > Hi, > > I want to know if anybody has never programmed fpga or proms not using > > Impact or Quartus programmer but other (third party) tools. If yes, how ? > > which are the file formats to use? > > Thanks in advance. > > lots of people do that. > > most of the info is available, sometimes it needed to reverse engineer SVF > or BSDL files to complement the public information > > there are different formats that can be used depending on device targetted > > > -- > Antti Lukats > http://www.xilant.com
does anybody use opwenwince jtag for this pourpose?