Parallel Cable IV does not work with parallel to usb cable

Started by Marco T. February 1, 2006
Hallo,
I bought recently a notebook with only usb, firewire, ethernet and 1 pcmcia 
connectors.

I use Parallel Cable IV. I have bought a ps/2 to usb and a parallel to usb 
cables.

But parallel to usb seems to function only with parallel printers.

Do you know a all-in-one port replicator with usb, serial and ps/2 
connectors that works with Parallel Cable IV?

Many Thanks
Marco 


"Marco T." <marc@blabla.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag 
news:drpt4t$igp$1@nnrp.ngi.it...
> Hallo, > I bought recently a notebook with only usb, firewire, ethernet and 1 > pcmcia connectors. > > I use Parallel Cable IV. I have bought a ps/2 to usb and a parallel to usb > cables. > > But parallel to usb seems to function only with parallel printers. > > Do you know a all-in-one port replicator with usb, serial and ps/2 > connectors that works with Parallel Cable IV? > > Many Thanks > Marco >
there is no such cable and can not be, you are out of luck Antti
Marco T. wrote on 01.02.2006 09:56:
> Do you know a all-in-one port replicator with usb, serial and ps/2 > connectors that works with Parallel Cable IV?
Haven't been able to find one of those either... The problem seems to be that iMPACT/Chipscope don't recognize the "virtual" LPT-ports those port replicators usually provide... There are parallel-port-controllers for Cardbus/PCMCIA you can plug in to get a "real" parallel port on your laptop, but I haven't tried any of those, so I can't comment on how good they are. The problem is the chipset: to get decent programming speeds, the parallel port should support 2MHz or 5MHz operation. All PCI-plugin-cards I've seen in stores lately use the same cheap controller-chip that doesn't support operation above 1MHz, so the cable will work in compatibility mode and drop down to 200kHz. Instead, I suggest buying a Platform USB cable. Gives you much less trouble in the long run, and works well on every modern machine. ... if you can afford it, that is. I think it's $150, so about double what the parallel cable costs. Plus, I'm not sure if it works under Linux, but there have been discussions about that here lately. cu, Sean
Marco T. wrote:
> Hallo, > I bought recently a notebook with only usb, firewire, ethernet and 1 pcmcia > connectors. > > I use Parallel Cable IV. I have bought a ps/2 to usb and a parallel to usb > cables. > > But parallel to usb seems to function only with parallel printers. > > Do you know a all-in-one port replicator with usb, serial and ps/2 > connectors that works with Parallel Cable IV? > > Many Thanks > Marco > >
Users of Amontec Chameleon POD ( generic JTAG interface dongle ) buy Quatech SPP-100 PCMCIA for resolving this. You may remap any parallel port address to the SPP-100. Work just nice ! Let me know if you do not find Quatech reseller. We have a large stock of SPP-100! ( Or buy a new Xilinx USB cables! ) Best regards, Laurent www.amontec.com ___________________________ Unlocking the power of JTAG
Sean Durkin wrote:
> Marco T. wrote on 01.02.2006 09:56: > >>Do you know a all-in-one port replicator with usb, serial and ps/2 >>connectors that works with Parallel Cable IV? > > Haven't been able to find one of those either... The problem seems to be > that iMPACT/Chipscope don't recognize the "virtual" LPT-ports those port > replicators usually provide... > There are parallel-port-controllers for Cardbus/PCMCIA you can plug in > to get a "real" parallel port on your laptop, but I haven't tried any of > those, so I can't comment on how good they are. > The problem is the chipset: to get decent programming speeds, the > parallel port should support 2MHz or 5MHz operation. All > PCI-plugin-cards I've seen in stores lately use the same cheap > controller-chip that doesn't support operation above 1MHz, so the cable > will work in compatibility mode and drop down to 200kHz. > > Instead, I suggest buying a Platform USB cable. Gives you much less > trouble in the long run, and works well on every modern machine. > ... if you can afford it, that is. I think it's $150, so about double > what the parallel cable costs. Plus, I'm not sure if it works under > Linux, but there have been discussions about that here lately. > > cu, > Sean
If you are programming through the JTAG interface, you could try the Diligent USB-JTAG cable, which is under $40.
Hi Marco
I had the same problem. I bought one of these http://tinyurl.com/86sc5
Then had to

set XIL_IMPACT_ENV_LPT_BASE_ADDRESS=xxx

Typically, "xxx" is "378,"  Use the Windows Device Manager to confirm
the base address assigned to LPT1.

Impact & chipscope both worked ok after that.

Quark

"quark01" <quark01@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag 
news:1138814640.304450.181220@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Hi Marco > I had the same problem. I bought one of these http://tinyurl.com/86sc5 > Then had to > > set XIL_IMPACT_ENV_LPT_BASE_ADDRESS=xxx > > Typically, "xxx" is "378," Use the Windows Device Manager to confirm > the base address assigned to LPT1. > > Impact & chipscope both worked ok after that. > > Quark >
weird I am using PCI LPT ports with base addess typically set to 0xD800 and both impact and chipscope recognize it properly as LPT1 without any need to specify it manually Antti
Ray Andraka ha scritto:
> Sean Durkin wrote: > >> Marco T. wrote on 01.02.2006 09:56: >> >>> Do you know a all-in-one port replicator with usb, serial and ps/2 >>> connectors that works with Parallel Cable IV? >> >> >> Haven't been able to find one of those either... The problem seems to be >> that iMPACT/Chipscope don't recognize the "virtual" LPT-ports those port >> replicators usually provide... >> There are parallel-port-controllers for Cardbus/PCMCIA you can plug in >> to get a "real" parallel port on your laptop, but I haven't tried any of >> those, so I can't comment on how good they are. >> The problem is the chipset: to get decent programming speeds, the >> parallel port should support 2MHz or 5MHz operation. All >> PCI-plugin-cards I've seen in stores lately use the same cheap >> controller-chip that doesn't support operation above 1MHz, so the cable >> will work in compatibility mode and drop down to 200kHz. >> >> Instead, I suggest buying a Platform USB cable. Gives you much less >> trouble in the long run, and works well on every modern machine. >> ... if you can afford it, that is. I think it's $150, so about double >> what the parallel cable costs. Plus, I'm not sure if it works under >> Linux, but there have been discussions about that here lately. >> >> cu, >> Sean > > > If you are programming through the JTAG interface, you could try the > Diligent USB-JTAG cable which is under $40.
is Diligent USB-JTAG cable compatible with Impact? or it is necessary to use another software?
"antonio bergnoli" <bergnoli@pd.infn.it> schrieb im Newsbeitrag 
news:43e2789f$2_3@x-privat.org...
> Ray Andraka ha scritto: >> Sean Durkin wrote: >> >>> Marco T. wrote on 01.02.2006 09:56: >>> >>>> Do you know a all-in-one port replicator with usb, serial and ps/2 >>>> connectors that works with Parallel Cable IV? >>> >>> >>> Haven't been able to find one of those either... The problem seems to be >>> that iMPACT/Chipscope don't recognize the "virtual" LPT-ports those port >>> replicators usually provide... >>> There are parallel-port-controllers for Cardbus/PCMCIA you can plug in >>> to get a "real" parallel port on your laptop, but I haven't tried any of >>> those, so I can't comment on how good they are. >>> The problem is the chipset: to get decent programming speeds, the >>> parallel port should support 2MHz or 5MHz operation. All >>> PCI-plugin-cards I've seen in stores lately use the same cheap >>> controller-chip that doesn't support operation above 1MHz, so the cable >>> will work in compatibility mode and drop down to 200kHz. >>> >>> Instead, I suggest buying a Platform USB cable. Gives you much less >>> trouble in the long run, and works well on every modern machine. >>> ... if you can afford it, that is. I think it's $150, so about double >>> what the parallel cable costs. Plus, I'm not sure if it works under >>> Linux, but there have been discussions about that here lately. >>> >>> cu, >>> Sean >> >> >> If you are programming through the JTAG interface, you could try the >> Diligent USB-JTAG cable which is under $40. > > is Diligent USB-JTAG cable compatible with Impact? or it is necessary to > use another software?
not compatible Antti
On 2006-02-01, Sean Durkin <smd@despammed.com> wrote:
> Instead, I suggest buying a Platform USB cable. Gives you much less > trouble in the long run, and works well on every modern machine. > ... if you can afford it, that is. I think it's $150, so about double > what the parallel cable costs. Plus, I'm not sure if it works under > Linux, but there have been discussions about that here lately.
My latest experience is that it works in Linux, but only if you start impact in Windows first to initialize the firmware in the programming cable. If I don't boot Windows first, impact in Linux wants to upgrade the CPLD configuration which according to other posts on this newsgroup will break the programming cable. To be honest, at this point I prefer to use XC3SProg http://www.rogerstech.force9.co.uk/xc3sprog/index.html in Linux. Sure, it is rather slow since it uses the parallel cable IV in cable III mode, but it feels much more stable in Linux than impact does. /Andreas