Xilinx LVDS

Started by Unknown March 7, 2006
Hi,

I want to findout the minimum accepted voltage difference for LVDS in
Xilinx Spartan3 FPGAs. For example is 40mV acceptable?

Many thanks for the help in advance..

H aka N

Hi, I think it is, as you can see from table 21 on page 23 of DS099-3
(Spartan3 datasheet), LVDS low input is (Vicm - 0.125), while LVDS high
is (Vicm + 0.125), so the difference is 25mV.
Marco

<hakan.sakman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, > > I want to findout the minimum accepted voltage difference for LVDS in > Xilinx Spartan3 FPGAs. For example is 40mV acceptable? > > Many thanks for the help in advance.. > > H aka N >
Did you try looking in the datasheet? Search for Vid. HTH, Syms.
Sorry for the mistake, it's 250mV!

"Marco" <marco@marylon.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I think it is, as you can see from table 21 on page 23 of DS099-3 > (Spartan3 datasheet), LVDS low input is (Vicm - 0.125), while LVDS high > is (Vicm + 0.125), so the difference is 25mV. > Marco >
Marco, You might want to read that again. You're reading the table headed 'Test Methods for Timing Measurement at I/Os'. Perhaps the table 'Recommended Operating Conditions for User I/Os Using Differential Signal Standards' might be more applicable? And also, I suggest a little more practice at arithmetic. Or typing. 250mV is what you were looking for? ;-) HTH, Syms.
Thanks all for your time,

I looked at the data sheet (didn't know where to look at, a search on
LVDS didn't help, so many tanks for the directions) and as far as I can
see its min 100mV and max 600mV..

Best

H aka N

Marco wrote:

>Hi, I think it is, as you can see from table 21 on page 23 of DS099-3 >(Spartan3 datasheet), LVDS low input is (Vicm - 0.125), while LVDS high >is (Vicm + 0.125), so the difference is 25mV. >Marco > > >
Funny, I read what you have above as 250 mV. 40 mV should work, at the chip, but leaves very little room for external noise sources. A very short run might work fine, but a long cable between separate pieces of equipment could easily pick up enough noise that is not perfectly balanced and cause errors. Jon