Where is the xilinx online store gone?

Started by Unknown April 15, 2006
Hi everyone,

As I was buying some components from the Xilinx online store this
morning, I noticed that they no longer support silicon device anymore.
It seems that it is now AVNET that is taking care of distributing
Xilinx FPGA online. The worse thing is that the price is more
expensive, and they do not have all the parts that Xilinx use to offer
(the part I am looking for specially).
Now i've got a few questions for the Xilinx people out there. Is it
really true or if it not, then what is the updated link for your online
section.

Many thanks
Jacques

<jaxato@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi everyone, > > As I was buying some components from the Xilinx online store this > morning, I noticed that they no longer support silicon device anymore. > It seems that it is now AVNET that is taking care of distributing > Xilinx FPGA online. The worse thing is that the price is more > expensive, and they do not have all the parts that Xilinx use to offer > (the part I am looking for specially). > Now i've got a few questions for the Xilinx people out there. Is it > really true or if it not, then what is the updated link for your online > section. > > Many thanks > Jacques >
avnet possible did not like that xilinx sold directly so xilinx had to remove the silicon devices from their online shop :( really very bad move ! Antti
Go to digikey.com, and search for xilinx.
The paper catalog has an extremely poor selection of Xilinx FPGAs, but
the web selection is better.
Their search method is awful  :-(
Peter Alfke, from home

Antti Lukats wrote:

> <jaxato@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag > news:1145130612.059195.298690@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > >>Hi everyone, >> >>As I was buying some components from the Xilinx online store this >>morning, I noticed that they no longer support silicon device anymore. >>It seems that it is now AVNET that is taking care of distributing >>Xilinx FPGA online. The worse thing is that the price is more >>expensive, and they do not have all the parts that Xilinx use to offer >>(the part I am looking for specially). >>Now i've got a few questions for the Xilinx people out there. Is it >>really true or if it not, then what is the updated link for your online >>section. >> >>Many thanks >>Jacques >> > > avnet possible did not like that xilinx sold directly so xilinx had to > remove the silicon devices from their online shop :( > really very bad move !
Yes, it does smack more of political reflex, than rational thinking. Note that Microchip is moving in the _opposite_ direction - they offer quotes up to 10K, and recently added factory programming flows to their on-line order flows. In other words, they look keen for your business (all volumes), and seem less under the influence of their distributors. I had a quick look at the Avnet link, and "not in stock, XX Weeks" was common. Thus Xilinx sample procurement seems to have fallen thru the cracks, in this decision. -jg

If you find Digikey's interface poor, perhaps Xilinx could learn from this web link ? http://www.altera.com/buy/buy-index.html Some other company seems to have found a way to have a web store, and an (almost)* workable Digikey link ? -jg * I tried MAX7000, and get this bemusing response emp7 "Manufacturer Part Number: 132 phrase not found" What, nothing at all ? Funny, phrase not found reported, plus a _specific_ number ?! - so I click on the 'phrase not found', as that seems to be a web link, and voila, finally, EPM7xx listings at Digikey! Strange that, MAX 3000 works fine - so, some wrinkles to iron out here...
Jim Granville wrote:

> * I tried MAX7000, and get this bemusing response > > emp7 > "Manufacturer Part Number: 132 phrase not found" > > What, nothing at all ? > > Funny, phrase not found reported, plus a _specific_ number ?! - > so I click on the 'phrase not found', as that seems to be > a web link, and voila, finally, EPM7xx listings at Digikey! > > Strange that, MAX 3000 works fine - so, some wrinkles to iron out here...
A little more on this : Seems strange indeed, as the 'phrase not found' seems to be trying to indicate not in stock. Only devices with MOQs and high ASPs show up. Their search button is also called "phrase not found" - oops However, if I go straigt to Digikey, there are actually plenty of EPM7xx in stock, with no MOQs ?! Altera will be eager to fix that :) -jg
Hello everyone,

Well I have checked on Digikey and they do not have the FPGA we need,
which is the XC3S200-4VQ100C. We have dealt in the past with
Nuhorizons, but we've got some issues with them and we would prefer to
deal directly with god. The Xilinx online shop was next to perfect and
the fact that they were shipping our parts in different shipments was
actually beneficial for us. It saved us on custom and duties that we
had to pay, if we were to receive the parts as a whole. We are a small
startup company and we have long term plans for Xilinx FPGA products.
We had reached the point where we had everything running smoothly, like
after fine tuning your radio receiver to the correct station, but now,
we have to rework everything and adjust everything again. Tonite I am
disappointed with Xilinx. :~(

Jacques

Well, I'll try another attack on our demonstrated stupidity.
I have screamed and hollered for almost a year, and sent e-mails up the
ladder, up to one step below the very top.
Maybe I have to go one stop higher.
Steve Knapp and I are very frustrated about this situation.
Obviously, our company could do much better...
Peter Alfke, from home

"Jim Granville" <no.spam@designtools.co.nz> wrote in message
> Antti Lukats wrote: > >> <jaxato@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag >> news:1145130612.059195.298690@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >> >>>Hi everyone, >>> >>>As I was buying some components from the Xilinx online store this >>>morning, I noticed that they no longer support silicon device anymore. >>>It seems that it is now AVNET that is taking care of distributing >>>Xilinx FPGA online. The worse thing is that the price is more >>>expensive, and they do not have all the parts that Xilinx use to offer >>>(the part I am looking for specially). >>>Now i've got a few questions for the Xilinx people out there. Is it >>>really true or if it not, then what is the updated link for your online >>>section. >>> >>>Many thanks >>>Jacques >>> >> >> avnet possible did not like that xilinx sold directly so xilinx had to >> remove the silicon devices from their online shop :( >> really very bad move !
But avnet won't give samples unless your a large company otherwise you have to purchase them.
> Yes, it does smack more of political reflex, than rational thinking. > > Note that Microchip is moving in the _opposite_ direction - they offer > quotes up to 10K, and recently added factory programming flows to their > on-line order flows. > In other words, they look keen for your business (all volumes), and seem > less under the influence of their distributors. >
If only they had some chips with a bit more grunt like an arm7 . A lot of manufacturers need to learn from microchip. Philips is quite good, but depends on your local distributor.
> I had a quick look at the Avnet link, and "not in stock, XX Weeks" was > common. > > Thus Xilinx sample procurement seems to have fallen thru the cracks, in > this decision. > > -jg
Simple , avoid using xilinx parts. Use the companies that want your business. If the management is to stupid to realise if people can't get small quantities for prototyping and designs especially for those doing contract work, we won't use their products, bad luck ,that is their problem. Might take a few years to have a budget impact. Alex