Microblaze & Linux tools.

Started by AnonymousFC4 April 22, 2006
As of today, could anyone tell me:

1) Are Xilinx tools for FPGA design, especially microblaze, actually, solid,
good, usable?

2)Does anyone has RTOS experience with microblaze?
If yes, which one?
Please comment the answer.

Thanks.
--
AnonymousFC4 wrote:

As of today, could anyone tell me:

1) Are Linux Xilinx tools for FPGA design, especially microblaze, actually,
solid, good, usable?

2)Does anyone has RTOS experience with microblaze?
 If yes, which one?
 Please comment the answer.

 Thanks.
--

1) yes
2)yes, I'm sure someone does.  I don't.

AnonymousFC4 wrote:

> AnonymousFC4 wrote: > > As of today, could anyone tell me: > > 1) Are Linux Xilinx tools for FPGA design, especially microblaze, actually, > solid, good, usable? > > 2)Does anyone has RTOS experience with microblaze? > If yes, which one? > Please comment the answer. > > Thanks. > -- >
2) Yes. http://www.xilinx.com/publications/xcellonline/xcell_48/xc_pdf/xc_micrium48.pdf Don't you even bother to visit the web site and do a simple search? Austin
Austin:
    I am aware of google search... so be reasonable.
If you post with a Xilinx email address, you may refrain from the "RTFM"
type of answers...
--
So if you have any experience, the fact you may to work for xilinx, does not
disqualify to post... with details (the good, the bad, the ugly) about your

Hope it will be more answers from individuals more willing to share their
experience on this topic.
---

AnonymousFC4 wrote:
> Austin: > I am aware of google search... so be reasonable. > If you post with a Xilinx email address, you may refrain from the "RTFM" > type of answers... > -- > So if you have any experience, the fact you may to work for xilinx, does not > disqualify to post... with details (the good, the bad, the ugly) about your > experience, we will all benefit from... and Xilinx as a company will also! > > Hope it will be more answers from individuals more willing to share their > experience on this topic. > --- > > Austin Lesea wrote: > > >>AnonymousFC4 wrote: >> >> >>>AnonymousFC4 wrote: >>> >>>As of today, could anyone tell me: >>> >>>1) Are Linux Xilinx tools for FPGA design, especially microblaze, >>>actually, solid, good, usable? >>> >>>2)Does anyone has RTOS experience with microblaze? >>> If yes, which one? >>> Please comment the answer. >>> >>> Thanks. >>>-- >>> >> >> >>2) Yes. >> >> > > http://www.xilinx.com/publications/xcellonline/xcell_48/xc_pdf/xc_micrium48.pdf > >>Don't you even bother to visit the web site and do a simple search? >> >>Austin > >
AnonymousFC4, I actually know very little about FPGA design. I've done some simple ones and read a lot of VHDL code. I knew the answers to your questions, without doing any research, other than looking through recent posts. 1) Like any successful company, Xilinx has been able to produce some reasonably robust tools. There are, from my reading of posts, some bugs, but the Xilinx people really care, and try to get them fixed. It's my understanding that many people beleieve that Synplify has a better synthesis tool. 2) There have been a bunch of posts about Linux, including several about porting Linux and other RTOSes to MicroBlaze. If you had read them, you might have gotten your question. BTW, remember that this is a free and open forum. Flaming people who answer a relatively inarticulate and somewhat fuzzy question is not a good idea. Actually, it is a good way to get future questions ignored. I know that this could get me flamed, as well, but such is life... GS
Anon,

It would help if you would ask something more specific.

It appears there are a number of competing RTOS for uBlaze.

What is your intended application?  Details like that might be useful too.

Control?  Measurement?  Communications?

As many will tell you, "real time" is real tough, and many (most) RTOS
are more 'in the way' that real assets in solving real time issues.
That is why many write their own kernals for serious real time systems work.

Is your idea of real time 1 millisecond to switch context/service a
process, or 1 microsecond?  It makes a real difference in your choices
of an RTOS.

I know some people who think that a response time of seconds is "real time."

It is like asking "I want to run some software on uBlaze?  Anyone have
any experience?"

Ask an intelligent question, and you might get an intelligent answer.  I
am just amazed sometimes that many do not even visit a vendor's website
before they post.  If this is a hobby of yours, then OK, fine.  But if
this is a profession, then do some due diligence.

Austin

AnonymousFC4 wrote:

> Austin: > I am aware of google search... so be reasonable. > If you post with a Xilinx email address, you may refrain from the "RTFM" > type of answers... > -- > So if you have any experience, the fact you may to work for xilinx, does not > disqualify to post... with details (the good, the bad, the ugly) about your > experience, we will all benefit from... and Xilinx as a company will also! > > Hope it will be more answers from individuals more willing to share their > experience on this topic. > --- > > Austin Lesea wrote: > > >>AnonymousFC4 wrote: >> >> >>>AnonymousFC4 wrote: >>> >>>As of today, could anyone tell me: >>> >>>1) Are Linux Xilinx tools for FPGA design, especially microblaze, >>>actually, solid, good, usable? >>> >>>2)Does anyone has RTOS experience with microblaze? >>> If yes, which one? >>> Please comment the answer. >>> >>> Thanks. >>>-- >>> >> >> >>2) Yes. >> >> > > http://www.xilinx.com/publications/xcellonline/xcell_48/xc_pdf/xc_micrium48.pdf > >>Don't you even bother to visit the web site and do a simple search? >> >>Austin > >
Gob Stopper:
   If asking poster to refrain to some basic respect is "flamming", the so
be it... and let pigs fly.

Before I posted, I of course, looked at existing posts... and did not find
anything, even closely related.... May be you did?
Then point to a given message, with date/time if you have some specific  in
mind.

About synthesis, your answer is not exactly what I asked, but it may
interest others... then you may want to develop it, and be specific about
your experience.

About the questions I asked, even a tiny bit of an answer, could interest me
(indeed), and a lot of users, so there is still a value there...
I still hope that some one has some experience there, and is willing to
share it with us?

--

Gob Stopper wrote:
> I know that this could get me flamed, as well, but such is life...
Would you have been "happy" if the response simply said "2) yes.
http://www.x..." rather than adding that the information is already quite
available on the site?

A well thought out question or one that's fleshed out with comments on what
you've already found would help to avoid the silly "Yes." responses.  Giving
the audience a clue into your true needs will get those needs fulfilled
better than asking too-simple questions.