design optimization

Started by Unknown April 30, 2006
Hi,

 I am targeting the design for XC2C512 coolrunner device. That's the
biggest device i could find. Are you aware of any larger CPLD device?
I have a dual-edge triggered clock i.e i have no other CPLD choice
other than the coolrunner series.

 I find that i am falling short of a dozen macrocell counts. The
fitter report says it needs 524 macrocells and i have 512 macrocells
available to me :-(

 I have tried to optimize the design to my best possible knowledge (and
my knowledge is not that profound).

Can anybody here advise me on how to squeeze the design a LITTLE BIT
more
to make it fit into the XC2C512 device?

 Thanks.

How can we possibly help you, when we know nothing about your design?
Peter Alfke

Aren't you and Xilinx developing a new line of FPGA's called "The Crystal
Ball Series"?  Parallel psychic processing that transcends the sphere of
phsyical science or knowledge.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

<harikris@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi, > > I am targeting the design for XC2C512 coolrunner device. That's the > biggest device i could find. Are you aware of any larger CPLD device? > I have a dual-edge triggered clock i.e i have no other CPLD choice > other than the coolrunner series. > > I find that i am falling short of a dozen macrocell counts. The > fitter report says it needs 524 macrocells and i have 512 macrocells > available to me :-( > > I have tried to optimize the design to my best possible knowledge (and > my knowledge is not that profound). > > Can anybody here advise me on how to squeeze the design a LITTLE BIT > more > to make it fit into the XC2C512 device? > > Thanks. >
there are almost no generic rules, but specially for PLDs the design for PLD optimization can yield in huge macrocell reduction. if your current count is 524, then I would say with 99.9% that the desing can be made fit into 512 unless you have already spent over one man-month in PLD specific optimization to get the MC count down to 524. the easiest way to find some resources is to find some block that are never active at same time and use 1 extra MC to flag for resource sharing as example if you need counter and shift register but not at the same time then almost all MCs uses in counter and shift register could be shared. besides that there are pretty many things for PLD that can influence the design fit, but again no golden rule for you, its all design specific and based on general 'it doesnt fit' there is little help that could be given to you Antti
Rob schrieb:
> Aren't you and Xilinx developing a new line of FPGA's called "The Crystal > Ball Series"? Parallel psychic processing that transcends the sphere of > phsyical science or knowledge.
How dare you write this in a newsgroup? I had to sign an NDA on that topic. Kolja Sulimma
"Kolja Sulimma" <news@sulimma.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Rob schrieb: >> Aren't you and Xilinx developing a new line of FPGA's called "The Crystal >> Ball Series"? Parallel psychic processing that transcends the sphere of >> phsyical science or knowledge. > > How dare you write this in a newsgroup? > I had to sign an NDA on that topic. > > Kolja Sulimma
is there an April joke somewhere? 'Crystal Ball' !? Antti
harikris@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi, > > I am targeting the design for XC2C512 coolrunner device. That's the > biggest device i could find. Are you aware of any larger CPLD device?
There are plenty : Lattice MachXO, Altera MAX II are the 'new designs' arena, Lattice & Actel also have FLASH FPGAs, and lattice have older CPLD families that are > 512 MCells, but their price/ability point is probably not ideal these days.
> I have a dual-edge triggered clock i.e i have no other CPLD choice > other than the coolrunner series.
See other threads, on how to create Dual Edge using two single edge FF+XOR. Plus, you can always clock double, or use a PLL.
> > I find that i am falling short of a dozen macrocell counts. The > fitter report says it needs 524 macrocells and i have 512 macrocells > available to me :-( > > I have tried to optimize the design to my best possible knowledge (and > my knowledge is not that profound). > > Can anybody here advise me on how to squeeze the design a LITTLE BIT > more to make it fit into the XC2C512 device?
Scan thru the FIT RPT file, and look at your modules, for resource usage. Sometime it is easier to compile portions of the design, and paste those summaries, then scan them with your eye and a pencil, for ones that use more that their 'fair share' of resource. A small change in HDL coding can give a big change in resource. -jg
Hi Lukats/Jim,

 Thanks for the sugggestions. I will work on those lines.
 I have not spent nearly a day thus far to try fit the design and your
comments seem to be encouraging.

 Thanks.

harikris@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi, > > I am targeting the design for XC2C512 coolrunner device. That's the > biggest device i could find. Are you aware of any larger CPLD device? > I have a dual-edge triggered clock i.e i have no other CPLD choice > other than the coolrunner series. > > I find that i am falling short of a dozen macrocell counts. The > fitter report says it needs 524 macrocells and i have 512 macrocells > available to me :-( > > I have tried to optimize the design to my best possible knowledge (and > my knowledge is not that profound). > > Can anybody here advise me on how to squeeze the design a LITTLE BIT > more > to make it fit into the XC2C512 device? > > Thanks.
You can try turning on the ISE options optimize density, and exhaustive fit. The result is a design that uses fewer gates, etc, but runs slower. If you accidentally created latches, they will eat up chip resources. -Dave Pollum
Rob wrote:
> Aren't you and Xilinx developing a new line of FPGA's called "The Crystal > Ball Series"? Parallel psychic processing that transcends the sphere of > phsyical science or knowledge.
So *that* is what that recent Xilinx patent on LUTs with negative 100 ps propogation delay is all about. Daisy-chain enough of those, and you could really do some amazing things! Given how exotic the materials needed to fabricate these parts are, I expect that they will be priced too high for my budget. Eric