Ethernet & ML401

Started by Unknown May 19, 2006
Hi everybody!
I would like to use the ethernet port on my ML401 development board
(equipped with a Xilinx Virtex4 FPGA and Marvel Alaska 88e1111 PHY),
but I don't know what to do?

Can you help me?

Thanks,

Max

http://direct.xilinx.com/bvdocs/appnotes/xapp807.pdf

Cheers,
Jon

The board I'd like to use (ML401) is equipped with a Virtex4 LX (not
FX) FPGA; The AppNote807 is about V4FX, that has an embedded TEMAC
core, so it's not usefull for me.

Thanks anyway,

MAx

<max.giacometti@libero.it> wrote in message
> The board I'd like to use (ML401) is equipped with a Virtex4 LX (not > FX) FPGA; The AppNote807 is about V4FX, that has an embedded TEMAC > core, so it's not usefull for me. > > Thanks anyway, > > MAx >
The only way is buying a ethernet core, emac or emac lite. Marco
... or write a core by myself!

> ... or write a core by myself! > > Max >
It depends on what you must realize. The fastest way is buying emac core. It is fully functional and fully compatible. You can use also emac from opencores, but in this way you don't have any kind of support in your design. You could also do the core by yourself, but it's a great challenge. An emac core is not simple. Marco
I don't think I'll write the emac core by myself. I need it only to
check that ML401 board works correcly. I think I'll try evaluation
version of Xilinx's IP core.

Max

"Marco T." <marc@blabla.com> writes:
> You can use also emac from opencores, but in this way you don't have any > kind of support in your design.
The OpenCores Ethernet MAC seems to work fine. It's very large, though. I think it should be possible to design a much smaller one, by using a simple microprogrammed controller to replace much of the hardwired logic. (I'm not complaining; getting a functional Ethernet MAC core for free is very nice.)
"Eric Smith" <eric@brouhaha.com> wrote in message
> "Marco T." <marc@blabla.com> writes: >> You can use also emac from opencores, but in this way you don't have any >> kind of support in your design. > > The OpenCores Ethernet MAC seems to work fine. > > It's very large, though. I think it should be possible to design a much > smaller one, by using a simple microprogrammed controller to replace much > of the hardwired logic. (I'm not complaining; getting a functional > Ethernet > MAC core for free is very nice.) > >
Eric, you are right. It's a great thing getting a fully functional emac core for free. Opencores is a wonderful site, and also all developers which have contributed to it. But if you decide to put that emac core into your design and you find some errors, you can't contact the assistance. It is a trouble if you don't have the necessary time to solve by yourself. Marco