How to get lowest price for a ModelSim license?

Started by Weng Tianxiang June 12, 2006
Hi,
We want to buy a ModelSim license.

1. Buy Xilinx-ModelSim version license from Xilinx website shop for
$1150 with dongle and 1 year expiration limit;

2. Buy ModelSim PE version from one of agents we contact: $3K for
perpatual license.

Both versions will work and make no differences to our applications.

Does anyone knows a better way to buy a ModelSim license with lowest
price except the above two options? For a start-up, we prefer lowest
price, of course.

Thank you.

Weng

you can try lattice semi for a fraction of cost, only restriction is
you have to use their FPGA, but not bad at all.

Hi Weng, I guess from 'start-up' you are talking commercial use. If, however, you are an academic user, you might want to talk to europractice. http://www.msc.rl.ac.uk/europractice/ Andy
Weng Tianxiang wrote:

> 1. Buy Xilinx-ModelSim version license from Xilinx website shop for > $1150 with dongle and 1 year expiration limit;
Quartus FIXEDPC $2k license covers windows modelsim for vhdl or verilog. One year limit only applies to updates -- tools keep working. From distributors only.
> 2. Buy ModelSim PE version from one of agents we contact: $3K for > perpatual license.
Quartus FLOATLNX $3k license covers linux modelsim for vhdl or verilog. One year limit only applies to updates -- tools keep working. From distributors only. -- Mike Treseler
ModelSim is included with shipments of Lattice's ispLEVER base software, which you can purchase (Windows part number: LS-HDL-BASE-PC-N) from the Lattice online store for $495 at http://www.latticesemi.com/store/software.cfm Regards, Bart Borosky, Lattice
if you use verilog I suggest you to try icarus verilog :http://www.icarus.com/eda/verilog. and the wave viewer you can use wave 1.0 : www.iss-us.com I think they are quite good. They are free and in my opinion they are veru good. Francesco
> Quartus FIXEDPC $2k license covers windows modelsim > for vhdl or verilog. > One year limit only applies to updates -- tools keep working.
Are you sure about that Mike, I thought they changed the licencing model a while ago so Modelsim only works for 18 months now. Nial.
Weng

Have you tried GHDL? It's a great simulator for start-up and costs
nothing.

  http://gna.org/projects/ghdl

Good luck!

Richard

Nial Stewart wrote:
>> Quartus FIXEDPC $2k license covers windows modelsim >> for vhdl or verilog. >> One year limit only applies to updates -- tools keep working. > > Are you sure about that Mike, I thought they changed the licencing > model a while ago so Modelsim only works for 18 months now.
I'm not 100% sure of anything. But that is what the licensing data sheet says. Anybody from Altera got their ears on? -- Mike Treseler
If you're not tied to Modelsim it might be worth looking at VHDL Simili from SymphonyEDA... http://www.symphonyeda.com/ It's a fully compliant VHDL simulator. I've been evaluating it since it came out, it's always been a bit slower than Modelsim but I see that they've put some effort into speeding it up for the latest release (I haven't tried this so can't comment). Hard to beat for the price Nial.