Using an FPGA as USB HOST without PHY

Started by bm August 17, 2006
Hi everybody,
Isi it possible to connect directly FPGA ouptuts to USB line like this :
http://osainto.free.fr/USBHOST/usbDirect.pdf
(Pull downs are necessary to be able to act as USB Host.)
And then  to use a dedicated IP for USB host role (some on opencores )

Thanks

bm wrote:
> Hi everybody, > Isi it possible to connect directly FPGA ouptuts to USB line like this : > http://osainto.free.fr/USBHOST/usbDirect.pdf > (Pull downs are necessary to be able to act as USB Host.) > And then to use a dedicated IP for USB host role (some on opencores )
Which version of USB are you interested in? USB Full Speed has much less stringent requirements on the PHY than does USB v 2.0 High Speed. I have not heard of anyone doing either in an FPGA, but I don't know that it won't work for Full Speed.
Full Speed
bm schrieb:

> Full Speed > "rickman" <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote in message > news:1155834907.449717.107780@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > > bm wrote: > >> Hi everybody, > >> Isi it possible to connect directly FPGA ouptuts to USB line like this : > >> http://osainto.free.fr/USBHOST/usbDirect.pdf > >> (Pull downs are necessary to be able to act as USB Host.) > >> And then to use a dedicated IP for USB host role (some on opencores ) > > > > Which version of USB are you interested in? USB Full Speed has much > > less stringent requirements on the PHY than does USB v 2.0 High Speed. > > I have not heard of anyone doing either in an FPGA, but I don't know > > that it won't work for Full Speed. > >
FS and LS should be no big issue. There are some folks doing LS host with 100% software in small 2USD microcontrollers! one japanese FPGA guy has some nifty usb host thing, he has developed a special 1 bit processor that he uses as USB host engine. well the purpose for him is to use USB keyboard for some gaming gadget. Antti http://xilant.com
Interesting ...Any pointer ?

bm schrieb:

> Interesting ...Any pointer ?
you really learn how to goofle ! :) just enter "usb fpga ukp" as search term and there you, first hit! Antti
Was this a typo? I get a bunch of links to sites giving pricing in Brittish pounds. Maybe you were referring to this... http://www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/usb_phy/overview

NO. and NO typo. google search web search from my PC with keywords "usb fpga ukp" returns as first hit the following URL (I just rechecked!) http://www.geocities.jp/kwhr0/hard/pc8001.html Antti
Well I guess you are just special then. I get http://lists.distributed.net/pipermail/hardware/1998-October/000325.html and I would have no idea why you would use "ukp" as part of the search. Care to explain or do you prefer to remail mysterious about it? BTW, the address you posted gives me a web page in an Asian language, possibly Japanese. I am not able to read any of it.
"rickman" <gnuarm@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Antti wrote: >> rickman schrieb: >> >> > Antti wrote: >> > > bm schrieb: >> > > >> > > > Interesting ...Any pointer ? >> > > >> > > you really learn how to goofle ! :) >> > > >> > > just enter "usb fpga ukp" as search term and there you, first hit! >> > >> > Was this a typo? I get a bunch of links to sites giving pricing in >> > Brittish pounds. >> > >> > Maybe you were referring to this... >> > >> > http://www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/usb_phy/overview >> NO. >> and NO typo. >> >> google search web search from my PC with keywords "usb fpga ukp" >> returns as first hit the following URL (I just rechecked!) >> >> http://www.geocities.jp/kwhr0/hard/pc8001.html > > Well I guess you are just special then. I get > http://lists.distributed.net/pipermail/hardware/1998-October/000325.html > and I would have no idea why you would use "ukp" as part of the search. > Care to explain or do you prefer to remail mysterious about it? > > BTW, the address you posted gives me a web page in an Asian language, > possibly Japanese. I am not able to read any of it. >
I had lost the web pointer, so I found it again by googling. I remembered that the 1bit processor had some name ukx something and was lucky to have the search to return the page. I understand from japanese as much as you do, eg nil. but verilog is verilog, also from japanese website. just take the last archive from that page it is the latest source code I think Antti BTW google can translate this page to english