opb master kills linux?

Started by Anonymous November 27, 2006
I have a xilinx v4 project running mv linux 2.6.10. I have a custom
peripheral I made that includes DMA on the opb bus and is therefore
master/slave. The SDRAM that the linux .elf file loads to/boots from is also
on the opb. Unless I disconnect the custom peripheral linux dies at
"uncompressing linux...".

I believe this means that there are data errors from the sdram, but
everything works fine stand-alone. I know the dma isn't running, for
example, and I've made sure to reset every other register related to that
peripheral but linux just won't boot unless I disconnect it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Clark

Hi Clark,

Anonymous wrote:

> I have a xilinx v4 project running mv linux 2.6.10. I have a custom > peripheral I made that includes DMA on the opb bus and is therefore > master/slave. The SDRAM that the linux .elf file loads to/boots from is also > on the opb. Unless I disconnect the custom peripheral linux dies at > "uncompressing linux...". > > I believe this means that there are data errors from the sdram, but > everything works fine stand-alone. I know the dma isn't running, for > example, and I've made sure to reset every other register related to that > peripheral but linux just won't boot unless I disconnect it.
Can you run the auto-generated TestApp_Memory sucessfully when your peripheral is in the system? More broadly, are you able to confirm that your core is behaving itself on the OPB bus? Either through simulation or by running standalone testslike TestApp_Memory etc? John
"John Williams" <jwilliams@itee.uq.edu.au> wrote in message
> Hi Clark, > > Anonymous wrote: > > > I have a xilinx v4 project running mv linux 2.6.10. I have a custom > > peripheral I made that includes DMA on the opb bus and is therefore > > master/slave. The SDRAM that the linux .elf file loads to/boots from is
also
> > on the opb. Unless I disconnect the custom peripheral linux dies at > > "uncompressing linux...". > > > > I believe this means that there are data errors from the sdram, but > > everything works fine stand-alone. I know the dma isn't running, for > > example, and I've made sure to reset every other register related to
that
> > peripheral but linux just won't boot unless I disconnect it. > > Can you run the auto-generated TestApp_Memory sucessfully when your
peripheral
> is in the system? > > More broadly, are you able to confirm that your core is behaving itself on
the
> OPB bus? Either through simulation or by running standalone testslike > TestApp_Memory etc? > > John
Yes, all my stand alone applications work fine including one that DMAs data from the offending peripheral to the main memory where the linux .elf is loaded. Thanks, Clark