LVDS termination scheme to nonstandard ribbon cable

Started by Unknown May 24, 2007
Hi

I am doing a Spartan3 to Spartan 3 interconnect trough a ribbon (flat)
cable with a characteristic impedance of 173R balanced (103R
unbalanced).
I have tried xilinx webcase to answer on the termination requirements
of LVDS for spartan 3 withhout much luck. I got 2 different answers.

My questions are:

1) Can I use a ribbon cable with 173R balanced characteristic
impedance? I have read that it should be 100R. The transmission is
rather short, 300mm and relative slow in lvds terms. I would rather
not switch the cable since it have other good properities that I rely
on.

2) With the above cable should the receiver end termination still be
100R

3) With the above cable is a source resistor network necessary to
match the impedance on the transmitter side and lower reflections?
This is the point where xilinx tend to confuse itself in its
datasheets for spartan 3. My dirty solution with adding 150R series
resisor tend to give nicer signals.

Hope someone could help me on this.

Thanks in advance

<stefan.elmsted@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi > > I am doing a Spartan3 to Spartan 3 interconnect trough a ribbon (flat) > cable with a characteristic impedance of 173R balanced (103R > unbalanced). > I have tried xilinx webcase to answer on the termination requirements > of LVDS for spartan 3 withhout much luck. I got 2 different answers. > > My questions are: > > 1) Can I use a ribbon cable with 173R balanced characteristic > impedance? I have read that it should be 100R. The transmission is > rather short, 300mm and relative slow in lvds terms. I would rather > not switch the cable since it have other good properities that I rely > on. >
Yes.
> > 2) With the above cable should the receiver end termination still be > 100R >
No. It should match the cable.
> > 3) With the above cable is a source resistor network necessary to > match the impedance on the transmitter side and lower reflections? > This is the point where xilinx tend to confuse itself in its > datasheets for spartan 3. My dirty solution with adding 150R series > resisor tend to give nicer signals. >
No, it's not necessary. If the receiver is properly terminated, there should be no reflections. BTW, the impedance of the cable seems high. What cable are you using, and in what mode? I.e. GSGSGS or GSSGSSG or has the cable got twisted pairs? G = ground, S = signal. Cheers, Syms.
stefan.elmsted@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi > > I am doing a Spartan3 to Spartan 3 interconnect trough a ribbon (flat) > cable with a characteristic impedance of 173R balanced (103R > unbalanced). > I have tried xilinx webcase to answer on the termination requirements > of LVDS for spartan 3 withhout much luck. I got 2 different answers. > > My questions are: > > 1) Can I use a ribbon cable with 173R balanced characteristic > impedance? I have read that it should be 100R. The transmission is > rather short, 300mm and relative slow in lvds terms. I would rather > not switch the cable since it have other good properities that I rely > on. > > 2) With the above cable should the receiver end termination still be > 100R > > 3) With the above cable is a source resistor network necessary to > match the impedance on the transmitter side and lower reflections? > This is the point where xilinx tend to confuse itself in its > datasheets for spartan 3. My dirty solution with adding 150R series > resisor tend to give nicer signals. > > Hope someone could help me on this. > > Thanks in advance
The receiver should be the differential impedance of the cable and of the transmitter - they should all (roughly) match. If you have an external termination at the receiver, change it to the 173 ohm value if that's the true differential impedance. If the termination is internal at 100 ohms, add two 36 ohm resistors (or thereabouts) to get the impedance match, albeit at a reduced signal amplitude. On the transmitter, you want a 100 ohm to 173 ohm impedance match so the transmitter sees 100 ohm but the transmission line sees 173 ohm. You'll need a differential termination on the transmitter side of this network and two series resistors to the ribbon cable. The signal amplitude will again be reduced. If the doubly-reduced signal amplitude is a problem, your slower speed will allow a different approach. Rather than using the native 100 ohm LVDS transmitter, step back a couple years and use a three-resistor network to match 2.5V differential outputs to the LVDS levels and impedances you need. If you analyze the resistor networks used by the Bus-LVDS Xilinx I/O level or some of the older "LVDS" drivers in the various families, you'll find simple 3-resistor networks that make the rail-to-rail drivers look like a transmitter with 100 ohm differential impedance with the right voltage swing. You can alter the network to give you 173 ohms with a voltage swing appropriate to your receiver termination. 173 ohms all the way through make the signal clean at the receiver.
All,

I suppose suggesting that the question could be answered in less than 10
minutes using a SIGNAL INTEGRITY simulator would just be silly?

I am absolutely amazed at how much time, money, and energy is wasted
just because a SI simulator is "expensive."

One respin of a pcb is MORE $$$ than buying the SI simulator tool.

Mentor's Hyperlynx(tm) simulator is my favorite, but Cadence has their
tool which might be more to some folks liking (it is integrated with the
PCB layout stuff).

So, how about it?  Invest in something that will save you enough money
to pay for it the first time you do not screw up.

Submit a hotline webcase, and ask for a "what if" SI simulation.  That
way you will get a free example of (one) solution to your problem.

One comment: matching the transmitter impedance is a good idea, as a
perfect match at the receiver is impossible (perfect may happen in
textbooks, but not in real life).

Austin

"John_H" <newsgroup@johnhandwork.com> wrote in message
> stefan.elmsted@gmail.com wrote: >> Hi > > On the transmitter, you want a 100 ohm to 173 ohm impedance match so the > transmitter sees 100 ohm but the transmission line sees 173 ohm. You'll > need a differential termination on the transmitter side of this network > and two series resistors to the ribbon cable. The signal amplitude will > again be reduced. >
You don't _need_ to match both transmitter and receiver. One or the other is good enough, provided the path between the driver and the cable has the same impedance as the cable, or this path is short. Cf. ECL logic, low output impedance, but can drive a properly terminated diff. pair. LVDS outputs are matched to the line to get a belt 'n' braces approach to reduce reflections, but it's not necessary to match the transmitter to the line. Here's an app note which describes the output structures. http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/an_pk/291 HTH, Syms.
Symon,

Xilinx must recommend the standard, tried and true, solution, we are not
allowed to cut corners, as that leads to unhappy customers and lowers
our sales figures while customers are trying to fix something they
should have gotten right the first time.

LVDS is a standard.  The transmitter is 100 ohms, the line is 100 ohms,
the receiver is 100 ohms.  They didn't do it this way because they were
stupid:  they did it this way for the reason I stated.

If you want to do SLVDS (Symon's Low Voltage Differential Signalling) be
my guest.

Will SLVDS work?  Most of the time, probably.  The advantage of a
standard is "set it and forget it" as there will be no problems unless
you have done something wrong (like ignore the transmit match).  Should
simulate it, though.

Another example of this is where customers discover that simple LVCMOS
works faster, and with less power to DDR SDRAM chips located close to
the FPGA.  Do we recommend it? No.  Do people make a robust interface,
that works just fine in production?  Yes.  But they have to do more
work, to make sure they will be safe across all corners (silicon,
voltage, temperature).

Austin
It is possible to match even Xilinx's hideous 10pF receiver pins. Here's an example from Xilinx's own consultant's website:- http://sigcon.com/Pubs/edn/ConstantRTermination.htm HTH, Syms.
> Symon, > > Xilinx must recommend the standard, tried and true, solution, we are not > allowed to cut corners, as that leads to unhappy customers and lowers our > sales figures while customers are trying to fix something they should have > gotten right the first time. > > LVDS is a standard. The transmitter is 100 ohms, the line is 100 ohms, > the receiver is 100 ohms. They didn't do it this way because they were > stupid: they did it this way for the reason I stated. > > If you want to do SLVDS (Symon's Low Voltage Differential Signalling) be > my guest. > > Will SLVDS work? Most of the time, probably. The advantage of a standard > is "set it and forget it" as there will be no problems unless you have > done something wrong (like ignore the transmit match). Should simulate > it, though. > > Austin >
Did you read the OP's requirement? He's not driving a 100R transmission line, he's driving something with a different charactaristic impedance, 173R. So, the LVDS 'standard' won't work. Terminating the output will reduce his output swing. Are you sure in this application matching the output impedance is more important than a large signal swing? Cheers, Syms. p.s. Simulation is a good plan, I wonder where can you get a decent model for ribbon cable?
Symon,

Yes, I know what the author of the post is trying to do.

Yes, Hyperlynx has built in models for a number of ribbon cables.

Without running the simulator, it is a complete waste of time to suggest
anything as a "solution" to this question.

Now that I have spent three times longer than I would have solving it
with the simulator, it appears that we have paid for the simulator, once
again.

GET IT? (I know you do, Symon).

Austin
Here's some more links:- http://sigcon.com/Pubs/edn/TerminatorOne.htm http://sigcon.com/Pubs/edn/TerminatorTwo.htm http://sigcon.com/Pubs/edn/TerminatorThree.htm HTH, Syms.