Virtex 4 Config

Started by maxascent June 13, 2007
Hi

Could someone just confirm for me that I can connect the config block to
3.3V in a Virtex 4 device. I have checked the data sheet and it seems to
indicate this. I just want to check as I have been using Virtex 2 Pro
devices which need to be 2.5V.

Jon
Maxascent,

It is unclear on what you mean by powering the "configuration block" to
3.3V.  You can power Vcco_0 (aka Vcco_config) to 3.3V.  Be sure to read the
V4 Configuration UG (see pg 15) on the requirements for all the dedicated
configuration input pins and other requirements based on your configuration
mode.
http://direct.xilinx.com/bvdocs/userguides/ug071.pdf

-David

"maxascent" <maxascent@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi > > Could someone just confirm for me that I can connect the config block to > 3.3V in a Virtex 4 device. I have checked the data sheet and it seems to > indicate this. I just want to check as I have been using Virtex 2 Pro > devices which need to be 2.5V. > > Jon
Just had a look at some of the Xilinx development boards e.g. ML405 and
they seem to have Vcco_0 connected to 3.3V but have the pullups on done,
init_b connected to 2.5V. Is it possible to have them pulled up to 3.3V
instead? The documentation seems a bit vague about what supply you need to
use.

Jon

Jon,

I found where we have some info on mixed voltage environments in the config
section of the Virtex-II UG
http://direct.xilinx.com/bvdocs/userguides/ug002.pdf  (see pg 281)
While this is not a V4 Users Guide and your issue is not specific to the
JTAG pins, the information is applicable to your device.  The main point to
keep in mind is that the Vih-min for LVCMOS33 is 2.0V.  At 2.5V on the
pull-ups for DONE and INIT, you exceed this by ~500mV and are OK (assuming
no SI issues in the PCB).  This may explain the mixed voltages on the ML405.

If you have Vcco_0 at 3.3V the configuration pins are expecting LVCMOS33
levels, thus there is no problem with having the pull-up Vcc to DONE and
INIT at 3.3V.

> Just had a look at some of the Xilinx development boards e.g. ML405 and > they seem to have Vcco_0 connected to 3.3V but have the pullups on done, > init_b connected to 2.5V. Is it possible to have them pulled up to 3.3V > instead? The documentation seems a bit vague about what supply you need to > use. > > Jon > >
Thanks for clarifying this David

Jon