Forums

Spartan-3e JTAG no device id

Started by Alan Nishioka July 3, 2007
I am trying to get an xc3s250e-4tq144c to configure using JTAG.

1. impact reads 0x00000000 as idcode
    This causes impact to error out during identify with a strange
error about missing bsdl's
2. JTAG works using impact debug mode.  I can put it in bypass and
also see the length of the instruction register.  I can see data
shifting in and out so I know JTAG works.
3. Part markings are:
XC3250E
TQ144AGQ0601
D1392255A0
4C
so it is a step 0 part.
4.  I have tried impact 8.1.3 and 9.1
5.  I get identical results with two pc boards.
6.  Same software / computer / cable setup works fine with a virtex2p
design.
7.  All power supplies look good. (1.2Vint, 2.5Vaux, 3.3Vio)
8.  spartan-3e is the only part in the JTAG chain.

I have tried removing all the parts except the spartan and power to
make sure nothing else was interfering with it.

I have not made any progress with my Avnet FAE and Xilinx webcase so I
thought to try here.

I have run out of things to try.  Does this look familiar to anyone?
Any ideas to try?

Alan Nishioka
alan@nishioka.com

On 3 Jul., 20:06, Alan Nishioka <a...@nishioka.com> wrote:
> I am trying to get an xc3s250e-4tq144c to configure using JTAG. > > 1. impact reads 0x00000000 as idcode > This causes impact to error out during identify with a strange > error about missing bsdl's > 2. JTAG works using impact debug mode. I can put it in bypass and > also see the length of the instruction register. I can see data > shifting in and out so I know JTAG works. > 3. Part markings are: > XC3250E > TQ144AGQ0601 > D1392255A0 > 4C > so it is a step 0 part. > 4. I have tried impact 8.1.3 and 9.1 > 5. I get identical results with two pc boards. > 6. Same software / computer / cable setup works fine with a virtex2p > design. > 7. All power supplies look good. (1.2Vint, 2.5Vaux, 3.3Vio) > 8. spartan-3e is the only part in the JTAG chain. > > I have tried removing all the parts except the spartan and power to > make sure nothing else was interfering with it. > > I have not made any progress with my Avnet FAE and Xilinx webcase so I > thought to try here. > > I have run out of things to try. Does this look familiar to anyone? > Any ideas to try? > > Alan Nishioka > a...@nishioka.com
prog_b is high? Antti
On Jul 3, 11:13 am, Antti <Antti.Luk...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 3 Jul., 20:06, Alan Nishioka <a...@nishioka.com> wrote: > > > > > I am trying to get an xc3s250e-4tq144c to configure using JTAG. > > > 1. impact reads 0x00000000 as idcode > > This causes impact to error out during identify with a strange > > error about missing bsdl's > > 2. JTAG works using impact debug mode. I can put it in bypass and > > also see the length of the instruction register. I can see data > > shifting in and out so I know JTAG works. > > 3. Part markings are: > > XC3250E > > TQ144AGQ0601 > > D1392255A0 > > 4C > > so it is a step 0 part. > > 4. I have tried impact 8.1.3 and 9.1 > > 5. I get identical results with two pc boards. > > 6. Same software / computer / cable setup works fine with a virtex2p > > design. > > 7. All power supplies look good. (1.2Vint, 2.5Vaux, 3.3Vio) > > 8. spartan-3e is the only part in the JTAG chain. > > > I have tried removing all the parts except the spartan and power to > > make sure nothing else was interfering with it. > > > I have not made any progress with my Avnet FAE and Xilinx webcase so I > > thought to try here. > > > I have run out of things to try. Does this look familiar to anyone? > > Any ideas to try? > > > Alan Nishioka > > a...@nishioka.com > > prog_b is high? > > Antti
Yes. Originally it had a 10K pullup. One of the things I tried was lifting this pin so it relies on the internal pullup. Also measured high with a scope. Alan
On 3 Jul., 20:35, Alan Nishioka <a...@nishioka.com> wrote:
> On Jul 3, 11:13 am, Antti <Antti.Luk...@googlemail.com> wrote: > > > > On 3 Jul., 20:06, Alan Nishioka <a...@nishioka.com> wrote: > > > > I am trying to get an xc3s250e-4tq144c to configure using JTAG. > > > > 1. impact reads 0x00000000 as idcode > > > This causes impact to error out during identify with a strange > > > error about missing bsdl's > > > 2. JTAG works using impact debug mode. I can put it in bypass and > > > also see the length of the instruction register. I can see data > > > shifting in and out so I know JTAG works. > > > 3. Part markings are: > > > XC3250E > > > TQ144AGQ0601 > > > D1392255A0 > > > 4C > > > so it is a step 0 part. > > > 4. I have tried impact 8.1.3 and 9.1 > > > 5. I get identical results with two pc boards. > > > 6. Same software / computer / cable setup works fine with a virtex2p > > > design. > > > 7. All power supplies look good. (1.2Vint, 2.5Vaux, 3.3Vio) > > > 8. spartan-3e is the only part in the JTAG chain. > > > > I have tried removing all the parts except the spartan and power to > > > make sure nothing else was interfering with it. > > > > I have not made any progress with my Avnet FAE and Xilinx webcase so I > > > thought to try here. > > > > I have run out of things to try. Does this look familiar to anyone? > > > Any ideas to try? > > > > Alan Nishioka > > > a...@nishioka.com > > > prog_b is high? > > > Antti > > Yes. Originally it had a 10K pullup. One of the things I tried was > lifting this pin so it relies on the internal pullup. Also measured > high with a scope. > > Alan- Zitierten Text ausblenden - > > - Zitierten Text anzeigen -
and you are not pulling init_b low either? strange I had no issues with 250e on my self made boards Antti
Antti,

I even hate to bring this up, but how do we know it really is the part 
it is supposed to be?  We have seen counterfeit parts (some odd die, 
packaged, and marked as Xilinx) sold to unsuspecting people by "gray 
market" resellers...

If it doesn't wake up, and say "I am the Xilinx FPGA you expect me to 
be" perhaps it isn't?

I certainly hope this is a simple case of a mis-wired pcb, and not a 
case of bogus components sold to an unsuspecting buyer.

Austin
Antti,

Further, we have seen where old board test continuity systems apply 
voltages (and currents) that my damage the newer 90nm and smaller devices.

I certainly hope no one exceeded the absolute maximum voltage stress 
limits, and has damaged the parts.

Austin
On Jul 3, 11:56 am, austin <aus...@xilinx.com> wrote:
> Antti, > > I even hate to bring this up, but how do we know it really is the part > it is supposed to be? We have seen counterfeit parts (some odd die, > packaged, and marked as Xilinx) sold to unsuspecting people by "gray > market" resellers... > > If it doesn't wake up, and say "I am the Xilinx FPGA you expect me to > be" perhaps it isn't? > > I certainly hope this is a simple case of a mis-wired pcb, and not a > case of bogus components sold to an unsuspecting buyer. > > Austin
I bought them from Avnet, so hopefully they are not counterfeit. Xilinx thinks it is a software problem, but I am pretty sure it is a hardware problem. Again, it seems JTAG works, but the internals don't. How is this possible? But I have run out of ideas to try. Alan Nishioka
On Jul 3, 11:59 am, austin <aus...@xilinx.com> wrote:
> Antti, > > Further, we have seen where old board test continuity systems apply > voltages (and currents) that my damage the newer 90nm and smaller devices. > > I certainly hope no one exceeded the absolute maximum voltage stress > limits, and has damaged the parts. > > Austin
No testing was done (this is a new board bring up) The same micrel mic2204 power supplies were used successfully with a virtex2p design (spartan-3e swapped in to lower cost; slightly different vint used). Is there a reason spartan-3e would behave differently than virtex2p? Could this be caused by the ramp up of vint? Alan Nishioka
Alan Nishioka wrote:
> Again, it seems JTAG works, but the internals don't. How is this > possible? > > But I have run out of ideas to try.
Can you restrap the mode pins and try slave serial mode? That might give you a clue.
On Jul 3, 12:57 pm, "Tim (one of many)"
<t...@nooospam.roockyloogic.com> wrote:
> Alan Nishioka wrote: > > Again, it seems JTAG works, but the internals don't. How is this > > possible? > > > But I have run out of ideas to try. > > Can you restrap the mode pins and try slave serial mode? That might give > you a clue.
I have tried changing the mode pins (difficult because they are connected directly to V33 and gnd) to no effect. But JTAG should work regardless of the mode pin settings, right? Thanks, Alan Nishioka