ASMBL

Started by Shiraz Kaleel January 31, 2004
While waiting for the next announcement....
perhaps some Xilinx person could answer these questions?

Crista Souza's and Ron Wilson's piece in EETimes says in
the final paragraph:

 The column-based approach means that IP companies
that either license to Xilinx or want to be acquired will
**now have precise physical constraints for how to incorporate
 their IP into Xilinx FPGAs**. Initially, that will whittle down
the field of qualified vendors, but ultimately it will result
in higher-quality IP, analysts said.

Whom should one contact to find out more about these precise
physical constraints?

Will it require the IP companies to work with expensive ASIC
design and verification software, or will there be some new
software which has the parameters which the designers can use
already set up for the base platform and taking into account these
constraints?

Thanks

Shiraz.

Shiraz,

Idle speculation on the part of over-anxious authors?

Austin

Austin Lesea wrote:
> Shiraz, > > Idle speculation on the part of over-anxious authors? > > Austin
I'm left puzzled as to why they should be anxious ? Maybe over-excited, or over-hyped, but anxious ?! The cited reason for the ASMBL early info release is to 'create interest'. Well, Ok, it's done that...... Now, imagine this : Interest generates questions, and when those questions are given a 'wait and see' reply, that interest changes to annoyance and frustration, and the market droids 'clever idea' morphs into one needing damage control... Still, those looking for hard info on future FPGA directions could, of course, pop over to http://www.altera.com/products/devices/stratix2/st2-index.jsp -jg
Jim,

anxious -

    "1. Uneasy and apprehensive about an uncertain event or matter; worried.
    2. Attended with, showing, or causing anxiety: spent an anxious
night waiting for the test results.
    3. Usage Problem. Eagerly or earnestly desirous.

[From Latin nxius, from angere, to torment. See angh- in Indo-European
Roots.]anxious�ly adv.
anxious�ness n.

     Usage Note: Anxious has a long history of use roughly as a synonym
for eager, but many prefer that anxious be used only when its subject is
worried or uneasy about the anticipated event. In the traditional view,
one may say We are anxious to see the strike settled soon but not We are
anxious to see the new show of British sculpture at the museum.
Fifty-two percent of the Usage Panel rejects anxious in the latter
sentence. But general adoption of anxious to mean �eager� is
understandable, at least in colloquial discourse, since it provides a
means of adding emotional urgency to an assertion. It implies that the
subject so strongly desires a certain outcome that frustration of that
desire will lead to unhappiness. In this way, it resembles the informal
adjective dying in sentences such as I'm dying to see your new baby."

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=anxious

Austin

  Oops, I missed one - in addition to
  http://www.altera.com/products/devices/stratix2/st2-index.jsp

  more FPGA direction indicators are also here :-

  http://www.leopardlogic.com/news/index.php

  As to anxious, anxiety, or over-anxious etc, perhaps the
subject "ASMBL anxiety" says it all...  :)

-jg

Austin Lesea wrote:
> Jim, > > anxious - > > "1. Uneasy and apprehensive about an uncertain event or matter; worried. > 2. Attended with, showing, or causing anxiety: spent an anxious night > waiting for the test results. > 3. Usage Problem. Eagerly or earnestly desirous. > > > [From Latin nxius, from angere, to torment. See angh- in Indo-European > Roots.]anxious�ly adv. > anxious�ness n. > > Usage Note: Anxious has a long history of use roughly as a synonym > for eager, but many prefer that anxious be used only when its subject is > worried or uneasy about the anticipated event. In the traditional view, > one may say We are anxious to see the strike settled soon but not We are > anxious to see the new show of British sculpture at the museum. > Fifty-two percent of the Usage Panel rejects anxious in the latter > sentence. But general adoption of anxious to mean �eager� is > understandable, at least in colloquial discourse, since it provides a > means of adding emotional urgency to an assertion. It implies that the > subject so strongly desires a certain outcome that frustration of that > desire will lead to unhappiness. In this way, it resembles the informal > adjective dying in sentences such as I'm dying to see your new baby." > > http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=anxious > > Austin >
Jim,

*

*.......I have been admonished for commenting on competitors in this
forum.  That will have to be left up to others like yourself.

A careful review of all of the features of St2 will have to be left to
others.

Perhaps Ray Andraka can comment on their new ALM architecture?
Advantages, disadvantages?

Austin

Austin Lesea wrote:
> Jim, > > * > > *.......I have been admonished for commenting on competitors in this > forum. That will have to be left up to others like yourself. > > A careful review of all of the features of St2 will have to be left to > others. > > Perhaps Ray Andraka can comment on their new ALM architecture? > Advantages, disadvantages?
One thing that was not obvious in a quick trawl thru their info, was the relative NIOS sizes (Stratix / Stratix II). You'd think that would make a good benchmark, but maybe it's still a 'work in progress' as they tune the SW. Anyone seen actual numbers or NIOS or NIOS II ? -jg
Sorry, I haven't looked much at NIOS since it was first introduced (and even
then it wasn't a down and dirty look).

Jim Granville wrote:

> Austin Lesea wrote: > > Jim, > > > > * > > > > *.......I have been admonished for commenting on competitors in this > > forum. That will have to be left up to others like yourself. > > > > A careful review of all of the features of St2 will have to be left to > > others. > > > > Perhaps Ray Andraka can comment on their new ALM architecture? > > Advantages, disadvantages? > > One thing that was not obvious in a quick trawl thru their info, > was the relative NIOS sizes (Stratix / Stratix II). > You'd think that would make a good benchmark, but maybe it's still a > 'work in progress' as they tune the SW. > > Anyone seen actual numbers or NIOS or NIOS II ? > > -jg
-- --Ray Andraka, P.E. President, the Andraka Consulting Group, Inc. 401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950 email ray@andraka.com http://www.andraka.com "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin, 1759
Hi Jim
Jim Granville <no.spam@designtools.co.nz> wrote in message news:<14XTb.20607$ws.2742532@news02.tsnz.net>...
> snip. > Anyone seen actual numbers or NIOS or NIOS II ? > > -jg
I did a quick compile in Quartus2_ver4 with Stratix2 and Stratix same Nios design only changed parts. Results in ALUT's compared to LE's is 3202 ALUT (S2) and 4522LE's (S). Push button compile of design no tweaking no logiclock. Cheers Fredrik
Hi Fredrik,

Are these numbers for a 32-bit Nios with hardware multiply?

-- Pete