Differences between Xilinx ISE and Altera Quartus software

Started by Jean Nicolle February 1, 2004

Antti Lukats wrote:
>>>Thanks, that is great. >>>A minor note : AHDL is standing for Altera Highlevel language. >>>AFAIK, the free version only supports Megawizard function to >>>be output in AHDL. >>> >>>Some pricetags would help too. The license restrictions would >>>also be of interest. >>>AFAIK, the Quartus2 free license is 90 or 180 days. >>> >>>Rene >> >>Hi, >> >> This is a correction to Rene's posting. The Quartus II 3.0 Web >>Edition license duration is for 180 days, and can be renewed as many >>times as needed from the web, i.e. there is no need to upgrade to a >>full subscription at the end of the 180 days. The Megawizard Plug IN >>Manager in the Quartus II 3.0 Web Edition provides output in VHDL, >>Verilog and AHDL. >> >>- Subroto Datta >>Altera Corp. > > > Dear Altera Corp, > > could you please also confirm is SOPC Builder that is bundled with Altera > Quartus II 3.0 Web Edition useable at all or not. > > so far all our attempts todo something with it have failed: > NIOS is supplied (white icon?), after requesting NIOS evaluation license and > installing it, nothing changes, the NIOS in SOPC is not enabled. > and if there is no Avalon master then the SOPC doesnt do anything at all. > SOPC list DF6811 as Avalon master, so obtained eval license for DF6811 (from > provider DCD) - unfortunatly there is some problem as per DCD on Altera side > so DF6811 is not enabled in SOPC, so no way. > No Processor enabled, no avalon master no system can be built :( > > I dont get it - if SOPC is included in free edition there should be > something that can be done with it ??? > > In previous versions of Altera free software I think the NIOS evaluation was > possible, unfortunatly I had very little time then and now this older > version probably would not recon the new license. > > Ok, the long story short - is there any way to evaluate NIOS without paying > up front ?
There at least were NIOS kits, meaning some FPGA, Stratix, or Cyclone hardware together with a full license upgradeable withing a year to the latest version. At around 450$ they were a bargain, considering the hardware. You're never doing your own hardware for that little. I wasn't able to run the kit due to configuration problems and lack of time. So I cannot comment any further yet. Rene
Rene Tschaggelar <none@none.net> writes:

> Some pricetags would help too. The license restrictions would
Xilinx ISE Foundation http://tinyurl.com/3745h Altera Quartus II http://tinyurl.com/34ctk Petter -- A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Cool, table updated with the prices.

cool, found it http://www.pragmatic-c.com/gpl-cver/
will add a link soon.

> > Thanks, that is great. > > A minor note : AHDL is standing for Altera Highlevel language. > > AFAIK, the free version only supports Megawizard function to > > be output in AHDL. > > > > Some pricetags would help too. The license restrictions would > > also be of interest. > > AFAIK, the Quartus2 free license is 90 or 180 days. > > > > Rene > > Hi, > > This is a correction to Rene's posting. The Quartus II 3.0 Web > Edition license duration is for 180 days, and can be renewed as many > times as needed from the web, i.e. there is no need to upgrade to a > full subscription at the end of the 180 days. The Megawizard Plug IN > Manager in the Quartus II 3.0 Web Edition provides output in VHDL, > Verilog and AHDL. > > - Subroto Datta > Altera Corp.
Dear Altera Corp, could you please also confirm is SOPC Builder that is bundled with Altera Quartus II 3.0 Web Edition useable at all or not. so far all our attempts todo something with it have failed: NIOS is supplied (white icon?), after requesting NIOS evaluation license and installing it, nothing changes, the NIOS in SOPC is not enabled. and if there is no Avalon master then the SOPC doesnt do anything at all. SOPC list DF6811 as Avalon master, so obtained eval license for DF6811 (from provider DCD) - unfortunatly there is some problem as per DCD on Altera side so DF6811 is not enabled in SOPC, so no way. No Processor enabled, no avalon master no system can be built :( I dont get it - if SOPC is included in free edition there should be something that can be done with it ??? In previous versions of Altera free software I think the NIOS evaluation was possible, unfortunatly I had very little time then and now this older version probably would not recon the new license. Ok, the long story short - is there any way to evaluate NIOS without paying up front ? Thanks Antti Lukats altera.openchip.org
[snip]
> > Ok, the long story short - is there any way to evaluate NIOS without
paying
> > up front ? > > > There at least were NIOS kits, meaning some FPGA, Stratix, or Cyclone
hardware
> together with a full license upgradeable withing a year to the latest
version.
> At around 450$ they were a bargain, considering the hardware. > You're never doing your own hardware for that little. > > I wasn't able to run the kit due to configuration problems > and lack of time. So I cannot comment any further yet.
Well, yes, I know there are kits at different price tags, but Altera says on the website it is possible to evaluate NIOS without purchase (of NIOS or eval kit). And if some Feature is included in some some software (like SOPC Builder in Quartus Web Edition) then I guess it should be useable. So I am still hoping that I am so stupid and cant figure it out how it can be used. I started to write my own CPU for SOPC, but well it too much trouble just to see if SOPC Builder does something or not. Hope somebody can clear this up. In case SOPC Builder is useable in evaluation mode only with 3rd party processors (not NIOS) would be nice to know which ones are available and working (the first one we tried turned out non-SOPC Builder ready, despite its advertizing) antti
Hi Antti (and anyone else interested in the above question), A colleague of mine answered this on your openchip web forum: http://altera.openchip.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2#3&sid=070e4f3d938f67a4df77b9d249515feb PS: The "white dots" in SOPC Builder show components that are available elsewhere for download/CD, but not installed on your system. There is a CD coming out shortly with an eval version of Nios. It will be separate from the free Quartus download. Here is the link: https://www.altera.com/literature/adl/adl-swtools.jsp SOPC Builder is more of a design tool -- it did make its debut with Nios and remains the main tool in the HW portion of a Nios design, but there are many uses for it independent of Nios (for building interconnects between user logic, downloading SOPC Builder components from 3rd parties, using the Excalibur devices, etc.). This is why it is installed automatically with Quartus now. Jesse Kempa Altera Corp. jkempa at altera dot com
"Jean Nicolle" <j.nicolle@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<YzeTb.20559$hv1.7139@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com>...
> Hi all, > > I tried to summarize the differences in a table. > http://www.fpga4fun.com/table.html > > Sorry about the link, it wasn't easy to duplicate the table in text form for > this posting. > > Things I'd be interesting to hear about: > 1. is the info accurate? > 2. did I miss important features that differentiate the 2 software? (without > getting into details, these are big software...) > > The table is intended as a beginner's guide to FPGA's software.
Ummmmmmmmmmmm...the most obvious, and perhaps most important difference, is that Quartus only supports Altera parts, and Xilinx ISE supports only Xilinx parts. In other words, you choose the device based on whatever parameters you care about, and then you get the software that lets you design the chip. If only a Xilinx device has a gotta-have feature, it doesn't matter if Altera's software is cheaper/better/gets-you-a-good-raise/gets-you-laid (all of which may or may not be true) because you can't use it for Xilinx parts. --a
The table is now part of the site, see
http://www.fpga4fun.com/designsoftware.html

It looks fine except for functional/timing simulation.

Xilinx has MTI starter which is VHDL or Verilog, but only 500 lines of
code.
Altera has their own gate level simulator.
Both have issues, but it is unfair to just say NO for Xilinx and YES for Altera.

Peter Alfke, Xilinx