Lattice Semi

Started by Colin Hankins November 15, 2007
Has anyone worked with the Lattice Semiconductor ECP2M series of FPGA? Were
the parts easy to get? Also, how is the ispLever design software from
Lattice?

I've worked exclusively with Xilinx FPGAs and am looking for some feedback
about what else is out there. My particular interest developed in the
Lattice ECP2M because I need a FPGA/SERDES combo and the price for the ECP2M
seems unbelievable compared to their competitor's equivalent FPGAs. So, I'm
thinking something must be wrong?

Thanks,
Colin

"Colin Hankins" <Colin.Hankins@touit.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone worked with the Lattice Semiconductor ECP2M series of FPGA? > Were the parts easy to get? Also, how is the ispLever design software from > Lattice? > > I've worked exclusively with Xilinx FPGAs and am looking for some feedback > about what else is out there. My particular interest developed in the > Lattice ECP2M because I need a FPGA/SERDES combo and the price for the > ECP2M seems unbelievable compared to their competitor's equivalent FPGAs. > So, I'm thinking something must be wrong? > > Thanks, > Colin
I want to work with the parts but have yet to get the design start with Lattice because of unrelated issues. My personal belief is that they targeted the right mix of features at the right time to hit big holes in the competitions' low-cost portfolios. Given reasonable cost of dedicated high-speed devices out there, I just don't understand why SerDes *should* cost as much as is implied by other FPGA vendors. Another aspect: Lattice is probably hungrier than the big guys to get those design wins to establish themselves as a strong player. I hope we both get a chance to work with the ECP2Ms. - John_H
HI Colin,

A couple of weeks ago, one of the local FAE's told me that only the
biggest device/package (ECP2M100-F1152) is not available in
production. This means that you should be able to get parts quickly.

I have personally worked with ECP2M20-F256 on a video board
(HD/SD-SDI) and I haven't encountered big issues. I got it to work in
some 2 weeks time. And yes you are right, the price of the ECP2M
family vs. competitor's equivalent IS incredible. The price was cut by
two.

Success with your implementation.

Luc

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:59:22 -0800, "Colin Hankins"
<Colin.Hankins@touit.com> wrote:

>Has anyone worked with the Lattice Semiconductor ECP2M series of FPGA? Were >the parts easy to get? Also, how is the ispLever design software from >Lattice? > >I've worked exclusively with Xilinx FPGAs and am looking for some feedback >about what else is out there. My particular interest developed in the >Lattice ECP2M because I need a FPGA/SERDES combo and the price for the ECP2M >seems unbelievable compared to their competitor's equivalent FPGAs. So, I'm >thinking something must be wrong? > >Thanks, >Colin >
> Also, how is the ispLever design software from Lattice?
It's not the slickest tool in the market, but it does the job.
> So, I'm thinking something must be wrong?
Nope, they're just trying to win business. Cheers, Jon
Colin,

If you email me directly what size ECP2M part you are considering, and
if you work with a distributor or FAE (who is your contact for Xilinx),
I will have someone get back to you.

Austin
Austin,

Does that mean Xilinx has something in the pipeline?

Luc

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 07:57:00 -0800, austin <austin@xilinx.com> wrote:

>Colin, > >If you email me directly what size ECP2M part you are considering, and >if you work with a distributor or FAE (who is your contact for Xilinx), >I will have someone get back to you. > >Austin
Luc,

Contact your disti or FAE.

Austin
"austin" <austin@xilinx.com> wrote in message
> Luc, > > Contact your disti or FAE. > > Austin
Hello Austin (& all) It's this kind of approach that made me drop X and start using Lattice. I find that the Lattice approach is much more upfront - its all on the web and the distribution is used for box shifting (which is about all they are capable of (on a good day)). My heart sinks when a semi company says 'contact the disti of FAE' - in the case of small users like me and the big distributors like X and A use it means 'prepare to plumb new depths of ignorance and/or bad service' For a while X had only one distributor in the UK and that was truly awful. There are 2 now but my limited contact with the new one has not been strong on surpise and delight. Michael Kellett
In article <A35%i.17632$pr6.16558@newsfe06.phx>,
Colin Hankins <Colin.Hankins@touit.com> wrote:

>My particular interest developed in the >Lattice ECP2M because I need a FPGA/SERDES combo and the price for the ECP2M >seems unbelievable compared to their competitor's equivalent FPGAs.
How about Altera's Aria GX? The 60K LE device is $262.50 from Arrow, about the same as the 70K device from Lattice. The SERDES in the Lattice device looks better (and there are more of them), but Altera's synthesis tools are better. The free web edition software supports this device. I know they support x4 PCIe, if that's why you need the SERDES. -- /* jhallen@world.std.com AB1GO */ /* Joseph H. Allen */ int a[1817];main(z,p,q,r){for(p=80;q+p-80;p-=2*a[p])for(z=9;z--;)q=3&(r=time(0) +r*57)/7,q=q?q-1?q-2?1-p%79?-1:0:p%79-77?1:0:p<1659?79:0:p>158?-79:0,q?!a[p+q*2 ]?a[p+=a[p+=q]=q]=q:0:0;for(;q++-1817;)printf(q%79?"%c":"%c\n"," #"[!a[q-1]]);}
MK,

Sorry to hear you feel this way.

I would hope that contacting your Xilinx distributor would result in
useful and helpful information.

If not, we would certainly like to know.

"Being small" has many disadvantages, but I have to say that many FPGA
sockets are created by 'small' businesses.  To that end I would hope
that our distributors are doing the job we expect them to do by
providing you with the services you require.

Sounds like that did not happen.  Perhaps this is something we should be
aware of?

As always, Peter an I stand ready to listen (and act).

Austin