Looking for a development board

Started by Alfreeeeed February 8, 2008
Hi everybody , I am looking for a development board. My intention is
to devolp a DSP application so ideally should contain :

-xc3s500e-pq208
-ADC <80Msps <10bit
-DAC same specifications.

-The PROM and JTAG interface is not an issue . I have a JTAG
programmer for PROMS.

I would reaaly appreciate your help.

Alfredo Taddei
http://www.fpga-faq.com/FPGA_Boards.shtml

On Feb 8, 9:25 am, "Symon" <symon_bre...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.fpga-faq.com/FPGA_Boards.shtml
Thanks , I did a quick research and couldn't find anything with the ADC and DAC I need. It looks like there aren't these kind of boards around. At least if I could get a footprint it would really help.
"Alfreeeeed" <Alfredo.Taddei@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Feb 8, 9:25 am, "Symon" <symon_bre...@hotmail.com> wrote: >> http://www.fpga-faq.com/FPGA_Boards.shtml > > Thanks , I did a quick research and couldn't find anything with the > ADC and DAC I need. It looks like there aren't these kind of boards > around. At least if I could get a footprint it would really help.
Google:- DC890B site:linear.com From your original post, what do you mean by "-ADC <80Msps <10bit"? '<' means 'less than', right? Syms.
On Feb 8, 11:33 am, "Symon" <symon_bre...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Alfreeeeed" <Alfredo.Tad...@gmail.com> wrote in message > > news:0bbcc5a4-0aa4-46f4-96d4-0a4cc22d7129@s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > > > On Feb 8, 9:25 am, "Symon" <symon_bre...@hotmail.com> wrote: > >>http://www.fpga-faq.com/FPGA_Boards.shtml > > > Thanks , I did a quick research and couldn't find anything with the > > ADC and DAC I need. It looks like there aren't these kind of boards > > around. At least if I could get a footprint it would really help. > > Google:- > DC890B site:linear.com > > From your original post, what do you mean by "-ADC <80Msps <10bit"? > '<' means 'less than', right? > Syms.
Sorry , Syms I replied only to you. I need at least 80 Msps and 10 bit resolution. I apologize for the inconvenience. Alfred
> [...]
OK, so, maybe the Linear Tech dev. boards will work? You might have to replace the FPGA xc3s200-pq208 with the xc3s500e-pq208 you asked for. Dunno if they're pin compatible... DC851A DC890B Syms.

Symon wrote:
> OK, so, maybe the Linear Tech dev. boards will work? You might have to > replace the FPGA xc3s200-pq208 with the xc3s500e-pq208 you asked for. Dunno > if they're pin compatible... >
Nope, not at all; http://www.opencircuits.com/Xilinx_XC3S400_and_XC3S500E_pin_comparison Cheers, Mike http://projectvga.org
Alfredo

I'm not sure you will find a product like this. Most of the DSP
orientated boards with ADC/DAC at this level tend be lined up with
Virtex level FPGAs.

I would also make the observation that the PQ208 package relatively
poor at handling high speed I/O compared to BGA based parts and if we
were designing a development board of this specification we certainly
would not be using the PQ208 package.

Not quite what you want and not a pretty solution but some of the
Linear Tech ADC demo boards can plug into our Broaddown2 Spartan-3
Development, with minor mods, on the edge connector Alternatively you
might also to be able to wire something like our Drigmorn1/Craignell
boards (fitted with either XC3S100E-4CPG132C or XC3S500E-4CPG132C) on
a high quality breadboard together with Linear Technology boards.

Longer term we do have plans for middle end ADC/DAC modules to support
all of our products that have DIL headers on them and for the very
high end ADC/DAC there will be a Moel-Bryn module/s and another
format(to be announced) that will support the forthcoming Hollybush2
product.

John Adair
Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Raggedstone1. The Low Cost Spartan-3 PCI
Development Board.

On Feb 9, 6:22 am, John Adair <g...@enterpoint.co.uk> wrote:
> Alfredo > > I'm not sure you will find a product like this. Most of the DSP > orientated boards with ADC/DAC at this level tend be lined up with > Virtex level FPGAs. > > I would also make the observation that the PQ208 package relatively > poor at handling high speed I/O compared to BGA based parts and if we > were designing a development board of this specification we certainly > would not be using the PQ208 package. > > Not quite what you want and not a pretty solution but some of the > Linear Tech ADC demo boards can plug into our Broaddown2 Spartan-3 > Development, with minor mods, on the edge connector Alternatively you > might also to be able to wire something like our Drigmorn1/Craignell > boards (fitted with either XC3S100E-4CPG132C or XC3S500E-4CPG132C) on > a high quality breadboard together with Linear Technology boards. > > Longer term we do have plans for middle end ADC/DAC modules to support > all of our products that have DIL headers on them and for the very > high end ADC/DAC there will be a Moel-Bryn module/s and another > format(to be announced) that will support the forthcoming Hollybush2 > product. > > John Adair > Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Raggedstone1. The Low Cost Spartan-3 PCI > Development Board. > > On 8 Feb, 10:51, Alfreeeeed <Alfredo.Tad...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hi everybody , I am looking for a development board. My intention is > > to devolp a DSP application so ideally should contain : > > > -xc3s500e-pq208 > > -ADC <80Msps <10bit > > -DAC same specifications. > > > -The PROM and JTAG interface is not an issue . I have a JTAG > > programmer for PROMS. > > > I would reaaly appreciate your help. > > > Alfredo Taddei
Yes John, you are absolutely right. There is no such a product like the one I am looking for. I give up. All the boards you suggested , were already visited.The project is meant to implement two IIR filters( with programable coeffs) in one of these spartan3 , and it doent require high-speed(25Mhz) but low-cost , and thispackage is easier to mount (according to what I heard). We will have to develop our own board.I am skilled at programming VHDL for DSP specially , so I will have to ask a PCB designer here in my company to do the wok for me. Thanks folks for the valuable information you share in this group. Best Regards, Alfredo Taddei