Redundant Ethernet connection

Started by MM February 12, 2008
Hi all,

This is somewhat OT, but I am not sure where to ask... In a V4FX based
system I need to come up with a way of having 2 ethernet connections to a
backplane. The original plan was to use two TEMACs, each connected to an
individual PHY. However, the device got pretty full and it is difficult now
to add the support for the second TEMAC. Besides, it seems that all we
really need is to be able to switch between two ethernets on backplane. So,
either I need to be able to switch between two PHYs at the RGMII level, or
just have one PHY and switch at the ethernet PHY level. I was wondering what
people normally do and what components are known to be good for this sort of
thing. I need to support 10/100/1000 modes.

Thanks,
/Mikhail

I think I've found a solution:
http://www.pericom.com/products/switch/assp/family.php?familyID=12