Configuring a Spartan 3A1800 ExtremeDSP from Spartan3 cable?

Started by Paul Boven March 20, 2008
Hi everyone,

Just ordered a Spartan 3A ExtremeDSP Starter Kit. It comes without a
programming cable, but I figured I could re-use the cable from my trusty
Digilent parallel cable from the Spartan-3 kit. The pinout is certainly
the same (6 pins single header). But I've just noticed that the Digilent
documentation states there is 2.8V on the connector while the new
Spartan-3A DSP board provides 2.5V. Will this work?

Regards, Paul Boven.
On Mar 20, 7:25 am, Paul Boven <bo...@jive.nl> wrote:
> Hi everyone, > > Just ordered a Spartan 3A ExtremeDSP Starter Kit. It comes without a > programming cable, but I figured I could re-use the cable from my trusty > Digilent parallel cable from the Spartan-3 kit. The pinout is certainly > the same (6 pins single header). But I've just noticed that the Digilent > documentation states there is 2.8V on the connector while the new > Spartan-3A DSP board provides 2.5V. Will this work? > > Regards, Paul Boven.
The Digilent USB<->JTAG cable I bought a few weeks back operates from 1.8V - 5.5V. Which cable do you have? Eric
Hi emeb, everyone,

emeb wrote:
> On Mar 20, 7:25 am, Paul Boven <boven@jive.nl> wrote:
>> Just ordered a Spartan 3A ExtremeDSP Starter Kit. It comes without a >> programming cable, but I figured I could re-use the cable from my trusty >> Digilent parallel cable from the Spartan-3 kit. The pinout is certainly >> the same (6 pins single header). But I've just noticed that the Digilent >> documentation states there is 2.8V on the connector while the new >> Spartan-3A DSP board provides 2.5V. Will this work?
> The Digilent USB<->JTAG cable I bought a few weeks back operates from > 1.8V - 5.5V. Which cable do you have?
The 'old' Digilent parallel cable says '2.8V to 5V' on the heat shrink tube over the connector: This was the one that came with my Spartan-3 kit. Fortunately, it appears to work well with the 2.5V for the Spartan-3A DSP 1800A kit as well. The newer Digilent parallel cables are actually specified to work from 1.8V and upwards ('JTAG3 cable'). I've decided to stay away from USB cables for the time being, don't need even more hassles trying to make all this work under Ubuntu ;-) Regards, Paul Boven.