Unix workstation runs ISE 6.1 slower than a PC?

Started by Kelv...@ SG February 19, 2004
Hi, there:

I don't understand why a big chunk Sun workstation runs ISE 6 much slower
than a P3-1GHz!!!
Is this the right behavior or my workstation is lousy? I remembered my Sun
was bought 2 years ago,
over 10K US$...

Anybody use ISE on Unix?

Thanks for your reply...
Kelvin

My experience from ~4-5 years ago was that the PII ran the precursor to ISE
about twice as fast as the unix machines I had access to.  Of course, if
someone else was doing anything intensive on the unix machine, it went
further downhill.  (Yes, if I ran other apps on the PC, things slowed down,
too... but I could choose whether to run them or not.)  I've seen similar
results more recently with Spectrum and ModelSim (i.e., running
significantly faster on what PC I had available versus the unix box I had
available.)

Jason

"Kelvin @ SG" <kelvin8157@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, there: > > I don't understand why a big chunk Sun workstation runs ISE 6 much slower > than a P3-1GHz!!! > Is this the right behavior or my workstation is lousy? I remembered my Sun > was bought 2 years ago, > over 10K US$... > > Anybody use ISE on Unix? > > Thanks for your reply... > Kelvin > > >
my FPGA experience for two months has shown to me PC was much much more
faster than Sun.
While I was impressed by the speed of Sun when it was handling digital ASIC
layout data...I can't test
the speed of the FPGA Editor on Sun as I use Exceed...

Kelvin