WebPack on CentOS 5 ?

Started by Jon Elson September 19, 2008
Hello, all,

I just set up a new system with CentOS 5 (based on Red Hat Enterprise
Linux) and tried to install WebPack 10.1 on it.  It says :

Product is not supported on "Linux x86_64" platform.

But, I'm PRETTY sure this is NOT a 64-bit system.  The /proc/version
output reads :

Linux version 2.6.18-92.1.10.el5 (mockbuild@builder10.centos.org) (gcc
version 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)) #1
  SMP Tue Aug 5 07:42:41 EDT 2008

That looks pretty much like a 32-bit CPU to me.  The CPUs read out as :

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 23
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E8500  @ 3.16GHz
stepping        : 6

Any ideas?  Is WebPack totally restricted to just a couple OS versions?
(we have a Xilinx educational license available here, but it apparently
involves a LOT of paperwork, so they wanted me to try WebPack first and
see if that would work for me.)

Thanks for any info.

Jon
Jon Elson wrote:
> Hello, all, > > I just set up a new system with CentOS 5 (based on Red Hat Enterprise > Linux) and tried to install WebPack 10.1 on it. It says : > > Product is not supported on "Linux x86_64" platform.
I have webpack 10.1 and have recently moved to 10.1.02 on fedora 8 64 bit system (x86_64). Synthesis is OK. My design is quite small so am not pushing the software much. I'm not sure if licenses prevent installation or only execution?
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 15:34:19 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:

> Hello, all, > > I just set up a new system with CentOS 5 (based on Red Hat Enterprise > Linux) and tried to install WebPack 10.1 on it. It says : > > Product is not supported on "Linux x86_64" platform. > > But, I'm PRETTY sure this is NOT a 64-bit system. The /proc/version > output reads : > > Linux version 2.6.18-92.1.10.el5 (mockbuild@builder10.centos.org) (gcc > version 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)) #1 > SMP Tue Aug 5 07:42:41 EDT 2008 > > That looks pretty much like a 32-bit CPU to me. The CPUs read out as : > > processor : 0 > vendor_id : GenuineIntel > cpu family : 6 > model : 23 > model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz > stepping : 6 > > Any ideas? Is WebPack totally restricted to just a couple OS versions? > (we have a Xilinx educational license available here, but it apparently > involves a LOT of paperwork, so they wanted me to try WebPack first and > see if that would work for me.) > > Thanks for any info. > > Jon
Do a uname -a, that will tell you if it's running 64 bits CentOS5. The hardware is definitely 64 bit. If you are running 64 CentOS you can always put a 32 bit VM on it to install the tools. The 32 bit tools should be able to run natively on 64 bit CentOS, it's just the installer that's complaining. BYW make sure that you have Motif and the compat libraries installed.
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 15:34:19 -0500, Jon Elson <jmelson@wustl.edu> wrote:

>Hello, all, > >I just set up a new system with CentOS 5 (based on Red Hat Enterprise >Linux) and tried to install WebPack 10.1 on it. It says : > >Product is not supported on "Linux x86_64" platform.
>Any ideas? Is WebPack totally restricted to just a couple OS versions?
It's officially supported on just a couple of versions. However when I installed SUSE-Linux 11 (64-bit) on an AMD-64 machine, the install process gave me the option of installing 32-bit compatibility libraries. (I don't know if that's unique to SUSE, or unique to version 11, or commonplace. I just said yes!). Naturally Webpack wouldn't install ... until I edited the Linux-64 version check out of the setup script and tried it anyway, on the theory that hopefully he 32-bit compat libraries would help. It seems to run just fine. (NOTE: Haven't tried device programming with USB or parallel cables, so there may be problems lurking there) Just one datapoint, not a definitive answer. - Brian
Jon Elson wrote:
> That looks pretty much like a 32-bit CPU to me. The CPUs read out as :
[...]
> model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz
The Core 2 Duo is a 64-bit CPU. You can install either 32-bit or 64-bit Linux on it. Do a 'uname -p' to find out whether you are running an i386 or x86_64 kernel. If you're running x86_64, you can install WebPACK but you'll have to force it to install the 32-bit version instead of the 64-bit version (since the latter isn't actually provided in WebPACK). This used to require either editing one of the Xilinx scripts involved early in the setup process, or skipping that script and invoking the 32-bit installer directly. Perhaps in newer versions of WebPACK they may have come up with a cleaner way to do it.
General Schvantzkopf wrote:
> If you are running 64 CentOS you can always > put a 32 bit VM on it to install the tools.
You don't need to go to that extreme. Just look at the scripts that start the installation. They do some checks to decide whether the host is 32-bit or 64-bit. Just patch it to always think it's 32-bit, and the install works fine. It would be nice if Xilinx made the script smart enough that on a 64-bit host, it would revert to doing a 32-bit install if the 64-bit binaries weren't available (as is the case with WebPACK).
Eric Smith wrote:
> Jon Elson wrote: >> That looks pretty much like a 32-bit CPU to me. The CPUs read out as : > [...] >> model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz > > The Core 2 Duo is a 64-bit CPU.
Yes, as you say, I now know it is a 64 bit system. You can install either 32-bit or 64-bit
> Linux on it. Do a 'uname -p' to find out whether you are running an > i386 or x86_64 kernel.
It IS a 64-bit kernel.
> > If you're running x86_64, you can install WebPACK but you'll have to > force it to install the 32-bit version instead of the 64-bit version > (since the latter isn't actually provided in WebPACK). This used to > require either editing one of the Xilinx scripts involved early in > the setup process, or skipping that script and invoking the 32-bit > installer directly. Perhaps in newer versions of WebPACK they may > have come up with a cleaner way to do it.
We have a site license for the full ISE, so I'm working on getting that installed, now. Thanks for all the help! Jon