Architecture of FPGA

Started by Unknown May 25, 2009
Dear all,
I am very interested in the arcchitecture of FPGA of commercial
product. But I have the following questions:
1. Is that all logic elements in FPGA are rectangular in shape (e.g.
CLB) and why ?
2. Why DSP/ Memory are arranged in column rather than putting
together?
3. Why DSP and Memory are rectangular in shape ?
4. Are there special wire connection between DSP or memory ? e.g. bus
base connection.

Can expert answer my questions ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,
Yu
yuchiwai@gmail.com <yuchiwai@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all, > I am very interested in the arcchitecture of FPGA of commercial > product. But I have the following questions: > 1. Is that all logic elements in FPGA are rectangular in shape (e.g. > CLB) and why ? > 2. Why DSP/ Memory are arranged in column rather than putting > together? > 3. Why DSP and Memory are rectangular in shape ? > 4. Are there special wire connection between DSP or memory ? e.g. bus > base connection. > > Can expert answer my questions ? > > Thank you very much for your help.
You could try asking your teacher, or maybe some of your classmates.
> 3. Why DSP and Memory are rectangular in shape ?
Do you mean why they are not round? /Mikhail
MM wrote:
>> 3. Why DSP and Memory are rectangular in shape ? > > Do you mean why they are not round? > >
No, why are they rectangular? Do you know? The person who set the assignment does.
Symon <symon_brewer@hotmail.com> wrote:
> MM wrote: >>> 3. Why DSP and Memory are rectangular in shape ? >> >> Do you mean why they are not round? >> >> > No, why are they rectangular? Do you know? The person who set the assignment > does. >
There you go, they actually don't. That's why they're asking the question. Then they have a whole classload of students to try and find the answer for then. Thankfully some of them are smart enough to come and ask here rather than doing their own homework assignments. Nobby
"Symon" <symon_brewer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> MM wrote: >>> 3. Why DSP and Memory are rectangular in shape ? >> >> Do you mean why they are not round? >> >> > No, why are they rectangular? Do you know?
Poincare&#4294967295;s conjecture says that no matter what it looks like, it&#4294967295;s a sphere.
MM <mbmsv@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Symon" <symon_brewer@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:gvf2nc$r78$1@news.eternal-september.org... >> MM wrote: >>>> 3. Why DSP and Memory are rectangular in shape ? >>> >>> Do you mean why they are not round? >>> >>> >> No, why are they rectangular? Do you know? > > Poincare&#4294967295;s conjecture says that no matter what it looks like, it's > a sphere.
That's a load of balls!
On May 25, 12:47=A0am, yuchi...@gmail.com wrote:
> Dear all, > I am very interested in the arcchitecture of FPGA of commercial > product. But I have the following questions: > 1. Is that all logic elements in FPGA are rectangular in shape (e.g. > CLB) and why ? > 2. Why DSP/ Memory are arranged in column rather than putting > together? > 3. Why DSP and Memory are rectangular in shape ? > 4. Are there special wire connection between DSP or memory ? e.g. bus > base connection. > > Can expert answer my questions ? > > Thank you very much for your help. > > Best regards, > Yu
Hi Yu, The answer doesn't seem to be as simple as people thinks: I have more than once asked myself if there is a better tile shape, but its final decision is based on manufacure experiences, not on guess work. One block is called one tile in the FPGA architecture. FPGA manufacturers usually duplicate many tiles to create a lot versions of products of different sizes. That generates a problem you have asked: what is the best shape one tile should have to make manufacture as simple as possible while keeping no holes among them to maximum the number of products within a fixed one silicon chip? Hexagon is possible, but it would generate more trouble for bus interconnections and it would generate waste materials along chip boundaries. For more information, Xilinx patent: 7274214, "Efficient tile layout for a programmable logic device.pdf" http://www.google.com/patents?id=3DdGeEAAAAEBAJ&dq=3Dpatent:7274214&as_drrb= _ap=3Dq&as_minm_ap=3D0&as_miny_ap=3D&as_maxm_ap=3D0&as_maxy_ap=3D&as_drrb_i= s=3Dq&as_minm_is=3D0&as_miny_is=3D&as_maxm_is=3D0&as_maxy_is=3D I have carefully and thoroughly read the patent, but with purposes different from yours. It is very interesting and instructive. Weng
On May 26, 11:00=A0am, Weng Tianxiang <wtx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 25, 12:47=A0am, yuchi...@gmail.com wrote: > > > > > > > Hexagon is possible, but it would generate more trouble for bus > interconnections and it would generate waste materials along chip > boundaries. > > For more information, Xilinx patent: 7274214, "Efficient tile layout > for a programmable logic device.pdf"http://www.google.com/patents?id=3DdG=
eEAAAAEBAJ&dq=3Dpatent:7274214&as_dr...
> > I have carefully and thoroughly read the patent, but with purposes > different from yours. It is very interesting and instructive. > > Weng- Hide quoted text - > > - Show quoted text -
Spherical would be ideal
On May 26, 1:10=A0pm, halong <cco...@netscape.net> wrote:
> On May 26, 11:00=A0am, Weng Tianxiang <wtx...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > > On May 25, 12:47=A0am, yuchi...@gmail.com wrote: > > > Hexagon is possible, but it would generate more trouble for bus > > interconnections and it would generate waste materials along chip > > boundaries. > > > For more information, Xilinx patent: 7274214, "Efficient tile layout > > for a programmable logic device.pdf"http://www.google.com/patents?id=3D=
dGeEAAAAEBAJ&dq=3Dpatent:7274214&as_dr...
> > > I have carefully and thoroughly read the patent, but with purposes > > different from yours. It is very interesting and instructive. > > > Weng- Hide quoted text - > > > - Show quoted text - > > Spherical would be ideal
You mean like Ball Semiconductor tried? Rick