Old School Altera MAX 7000

Started by Gerry_MAN May 27, 2009
Hi Folks,

I'm a student and electronics hobbyist. I've been collecting various old
Altera MAX 7000 related programmers, more as a hobby than anything.
And I realize this is old school so no worries, I'm just into the vintage
electronics. :)

I've been searching the net for the Altera LP6 logic programming card,
part of the ASAP2 MPU. Image link below:

http://www.digital-circuitry.com/FILES/Altera/Altera%20LP6%20PCI%20card.jpg

I've been beating my head against the wall for some time now in
frustration as I can't seem to find anything on this card and so I was
wondering if anyone here might have one to sell or knows where I could
acquire one used or new?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Gerry O'Brien

"Gerry_MAN" <gerryob@digital-circuitry.com> wrote in message
> Hi Folks, > > I'm a student and electronics hobbyist. I've been collecting various old > Altera MAX 7000 related programmers, more as a hobby than anything. > And I realize this is old school so no worries, I'm just into the vintage > electronics. :) > > I've been searching the net for the Altera LP6 logic programming card, > part of the ASAP2 MPU. Image link below: > > http://www.digital-circuitry.com/FILES/Altera/Altera%20LP6%20PCI%20card.jpg > > I've been beating my head against the wall for some time now in > frustration as I can't seem to find anything on this card and so I was > wondering if anyone here might have one to sell or knows where I could > acquire one used or new? > > > Any help would be appreciated. >
This may be a silly question, but Why? I thought MAX7000 can be programmed with virtually any programmer?
The Reason is due to the fact that many of the chips I have are in a
"JTAG Lockout" state and I need the MPU setup to re-enable the JTAG comm
pins. I realize that I can use a third party Universal programmer like a
DATA I/O UniSite or similar but, when it comes to Previously programmed
chips where the JTAG comm lines have been programmed to I/O pins for extra
interfacing lines the other JTAG programmers are useless. :)

-Gerry

> >"Gerry_MAN" <gerryob@digital-circuitry.com> wrote in message >news:paqdnSqFQanzTIDXnZ2dnUVZ_vidnZ2d@giganews.com... >> Hi Folks, >> >> I'm a student and electronics hobbyist. I've been collecting various
old
>> Altera MAX 7000 related programmers, more as a hobby than anything. >> And I realize this is old school so no worries, I'm just into the
vintage
>> electronics. :) >> >> I've been searching the net for the Altera LP6 logic programming card, >> part of the ASAP2 MPU. Image link below: >> >>
http://www.digital-circuitry.com/FILES/Altera/Altera%20LP6%20PCI%20card.jpg
It was actually very common that students who purchased second hand chips
of the net like eBay and who where using a JTAG development board for the
MAX 7000 series chips, assumed the chips were faulty when they couldn't
program them. In actuality the JTAG pins were essentially just disabled and
there was nothing wrong with the chip at all. Too Bad really if they had
only known. :(

I was however able to re-enable the JTAG comm pins on many of my Altera
chips using a DATA I/O Labsite Programmer.

But now I want to have my own setup and use the Altera (ASAP2) MPU setup
to reset my chips, I still have about 40 EPM7128SLC84 chips with the JTAG
pins disabled so, hopefully I can find the LP6 card somewhere.

So anyone that knows where to get an Altera LP6 Logic Programming card
please let me know. I'm willing to purchase it if the price is reasonable.

Kind Regards,
Gerry O'Brien

>The Reason is due to the fact that many of the chips I have are in a >"JTAG Lockout" state and I need the MPU setup to re-enable the JTAG comm >pins. I realize that I can use a third party Universal programmer like a
>DATA I/O UniSite or similar but, when it comes to Previously programmed >chips where the JTAG comm lines have been programmed to I/O pins for
extra
>interfacing lines the other JTAG programmers are useless. :) > >-Gerry > > >> >>"Gerry_MAN" <gerryob@digital-circuitry.com> wrote in message >>news:paqdnSqFQanzTIDXnZ2dnUVZ_vidnZ2d@giganews.com... >>> Hi Folks, >>> >>> I'm a student and electronics hobbyist. I've been collecting various >old >>> Altera MAX 7000 related programmers, more as a hobby than anything. >>> And I realize this is old school so no worries, I'm just into the >vintage >>> electronics. :) >>> >>> I've been searching the net for the Altera LP6 logic programming
card,
>>> part of the ASAP2 MPU. Image link below: >>> >>> >http://www.digital-circuitry.com/FILES/Altera/Altera%20LP6%20PCI%20card.jpg >>> >>> I've been beating my head against the wall for some time now in >>> frustration as I can't seem to find anything on this card and so I
was
>>> wondering if anyone here might have one to sell or knows where I
could
>>> acquire one used or new? >>> >>> >>> Any help would be appreciated. >>> >> >>This may be a silly question, but Why? >> >>I thought MAX7000 can be programmed with virtually any programmer? >> >> >> >
# So anyone that knows where to get an Altera LP6 Logic Programming
card
# please let me know. I'm willing to purchase it if the price is
reasonable.

An alternative could be to look for a Universal Pgmr on EBAY, that
supports
EPM7128's ?

Or ask Altera for the Algorithm, hoping that someone still works there
from
this era ;)

-jg

I've actually done this already with the DATA I/O Labsite programmer and it
erases the Altera chips perfectly.

But I have almost all of the components for the Altera MPU setup and now I
just want to finish the deal since I've been searching for so long, I
refuse to just quit. Plus it would be interesting to learn and use the
unit. I've done so much research on it, I really am aching to try it out.

Like I said, more of a collector at this point. :)

-Gerry

># So anyone that knows where to get an Altera LP6 Logic Programming >card ># please let me know. I'm willing to purchase it if the price is >reasonable. > >An alternative could be to look for a Universal Pgmr on EBAY, that >supports >EPM7128's ? > >Or ask Altera for the Algorithm, hoping that someone still works there >from >this era ;) > >-jg > >
Ok My hunt is finally over. I've aquire the Altera LP6 Programming card.

So I now have a fully running Altera PL-ASAP2 Master programmer.

http://d.yimg.com/kq/groups/21609865/hr/1272931197/name/DSC00617.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/kq/groups/21609865/hr/896433905/name/DSC00380.jpg

I'm keeping a lookout for more adapters and I'm going to try and do a few
school projects using this old unit. Fun Stuff!!

Later Folks,
-Gerry

P.S.
My Altera group I opened up. :)